Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if the fluid in my 2010 Corolla has ever been changed and as it's now sitting at 163,xxx miles and counting, I was just going to do a quick pan drain and fill. Well that's what I'd like to be able to do, while leaving the pan and filter alone. I've tried searching what kind of filter our gen Corollas use but can't find anything. My past experience with Fords was they used both a mesh and foam type filter, the foam you wanted to change and mesh you didn't worry about.

Does anyone know if the 10th gen Corollas are still using the mesh screen filters as I've read past generations and other Toyotas are, and/or what Toyota recommends?

·
イリジウム
11,661 Posts
Do you have the U341 transmission?

That’s a felt filter, see the Wix kit on rockauto.com.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. You are right and rockauto is a favorite of mine to order parts. Any brand recommendations?

·
3,512 Posts
Be mindful of the gasket and torquing down the pan bolts. Those suckers snap with ease, in my experience; easy to get some heavy torque on them with the right wrench.

·
3,512 Posts
Found a few different torque specs, range from 48 to 69 inch pounds. Either way it's not much.

I was tightening mine and was doing my last "snug check pass" and snapped the head right off of one of them. Wasn't using a torque wrench of course. For me the location was easy to deal with as it just popped up and out and I was able to put another in. They are easy to snap with MAN HANDS (lol)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice!

As for the bolts I've always been a torque nazi nerd in the past but got away from that a little since watching Scotty Kilmer so much. I'll be torquing these most definitely, to the low side of recommendations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
couple thing. ive changed tranny filter on a corolla and matrix. oem filter is by far the best qaulity but by far most expensive. 48inlb is plenty on the bolts. other wise it crushes the gasket and leaks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new here and not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this question. Please advise.
I have a 2010 Vibe 2.4 engine & 5-speed auto transmission, 116k miles. I was installing a transmission cooler and saw that my fluid is really dark. I want to do a flush & filter. I drained the pan and almost have it removed. From here what is the best way to flush the rest of the fluid from the converter etc?

·
Super Moderator
5,226 Posts
There are YouTube videos showing how to flush and fill the trans fluid. You need to consider this before proceeding. When doing a flush, it's possible to loosen debris from inside the torque converter and cause issues in the future.

With this in mind, depending on how often your toci is, you should just do a drain and fill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are YouTube videos showing how to flush and fill the trans fluid. You need to consider this before proceeding. When doing a flush, it's possible to loosen debris from inside the torque converter and cause issues in the future.

With this in mind, depending on how often your toci is, you should just do a drain and fill.
Thanks for the reply.
3 more questions please:
Is Max Life fluid OK?
Any preference on filters? OE, Wix, Autozone?
What is TOCI?

·
Super Moderator
5,226 Posts
As long as it's GL4 or GL5 fluids. I believe Toyota still uses yellow metal for the synchro in the transmission.

TOCI - transmission oil change interval. Should have been TFCI. Fluid instead of oil.

For filter, compare online sources like rock auto, Sparks Toyota, and Amazon. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did my 1st drain & fill at about 95k. Fluid was also dark. Did a 2nd drain & fill about 1k miles later, color was already better. Now I do a drain & fill every 25k and have not had any problems and I'm over 190k miles. Never did a flush.
The drain/filter/fill was the way I was leaning. Thanks for sharing your experience. What fluid do you use? Max Life sounds pretty good.

Oh, forgot to mention: I towed a 900lb teardrop trailer about 600 miles and I'm planning on doing it again later this month. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,226 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation. I read that you asked how to drain or flush the remaining fluid. That's why I mentioned the flush method isn't ideal.

The old fluid will come out on the next fluid change.

·
3,512 Posts
MaxLife is fine, many of us use it.
The tranny filter may be just a metal screen, not sure what these 'Rollas use. I would not skimp on it considering the work it takes to put one in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts