Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man I wish I would have found this link before I put in the Mobil 1. All sorts of noises coming from back their now. Put in regular Valvoline oil with a tube of the friction modifier. Took it for a drive and did a bunch of circles in both directions. Still making a little noise. Sure hope this goes away. Sure hope I didn't cause any permanent damage. Learned that lesson with Simple Green Cleaner on your brakes. It is absorbed by the pad material and ruined for life...nothing you can do to fix them. Just replace them.
Take care all. I appreciate everybodies imput.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
I changed my diffs out the other week to m1 synthetic and haven't had any problems. It may be early yet but all is good. I did put some napa friction modifier in the rear though. I guess if it binds in the future then I'll just drain and use oem.

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
Well mine had started binding a bit early in the morning on the first drive after sitting all night. So I changed it and it went away. That was at 53K miles and now at 65K it's making noise again, so i'm done with the synthetic and i'm going to try the regular dino instead and see how that works since some have said that has fixed the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man I wish I would have found this link before I put in the Mobil 1. All sorts of noises coming from back their now. Put in regular Valvoline oil with a tube of the friction modifier. Took it for a drive and did a bunch of circles in both directions. Still making a little noise. Sure hope this goes away. Sure hope I didn't cause any permanent damage. Learned that lesson with Simple Green Cleaner on your brakes. It is absorbed by the pad material and ruined for life...nothing you can do to fix them. Just replace them.
Take care all. I appreciate everybodies imput.
Wish I had found the thread too. I put in Mobil 1 with one tube of the Friction Modifier, and was fine for a few days, then had the chattering from the back end. After 5k miles, i found this thread, went to the auto store, bought the $6 bottles of Valvoline and a tube of Friction Modifier, replaced the oil, and problem has gone away completely. Good as new. Been driving with it this way for a week now.

Also, thought I'd mention, I think the rear bolts on the diff are supposed to be 24mm bolts. I went to Sears to buy a 24mm socket, and all they have are 12 point sockets (they did not carry the 24mm impact 6 point socket, only 21mm and down), and that is what I used the first time. I guess I put it on too tight the last time I was in there, and started to round the bolt off. I went to Sears, thinking they would have the 6 point, 24mm impact socket, but found they didn't. I ended up buying the 15/16" 6 point socket, as it is slightly smaller than a 24mm, and thought if it fit, then it would be a better fit anyway, if not, I'd bring it back, like the employee said. Ended up, that even the 15/16" still has a little slack, and it worked great. Really makes me wonder if that is really a 24mm bolt though!

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
I used M1 synthetic in my rear diff but it's quiet as a mouse. I sure would like to know why some have problems and some don't. There really shouldn't be any variation. I did use a napa modifier though.

·
tacoma fan
2008 toyota tacoma
175 Posts
anyone use the royal purple for the lsd. it has friction modifier in it already so it supose to be fill and go. anyone hear anything on it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used M1 synthetic in my rear diff but it's quiet as a mouse. I sure would like to know why some have problems and some don't. There really shouldn't be any variation. I did use a napa modifier though.
Those who have Limited Slip Diffs are having the problem.

·
TacoFever
414 Posts
anyone use the royal purple for the lsd. it has friction modifier in it already so it supose to be fill and go. anyone hear anything on it?
I put RP in my LSD at 25k(April), after 5k(November) I'm getting the vibration/chatter after the vehicle has been sitting around. Like the first thread, it goes away after driving a block. I'm not sure if it was the 5k miles or the outside temperature has dropped to 55F.

I do frequent wkend trips to Tahoe for snowbrding, and I'm worried what would happen in the colder temps.

Not sure yet if I'll try another set of RP or go non-synth or get a bottle from the stealership. I don't want to add a friction modifier if RP was already suppose to have it. If I'm going to open the filler plug I might as well drain it.

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
Those who have Limited Slip Diffs are having the problem.
I DRIVE A SPORT WHICH HAS THE LSD. THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY VARIATION. IF IT WORKS FOR SOME LSD'S THEN IT SHOULD WORK FOR ALL. I'VE BEEN GOING STRONG FOR ABOUT 8K MILES WITH NO ISSUES. M1 SYN WITH NAPA FRICTION MODIFIER IN THE REAR.

·
Taco lover
Toyota Tacoma
123 Posts
I had the mobile 1 synthetic and also a tube of the LSD additive. It worked well for a while but then it started binding a little more. Instead of adding another tube of LSD additive I switched out the synthetic and put in regular Valvoline 75w90 in with a tube of LSD additive, works smooth now. One thing I screwed up was apparently the washer on the drain nut came off with I unscrewed it and I did not notice until everything was put back. I have checked for leaks and so far none. Do you think the lack of the washer may lead to some leaks? Should I drain, put the washer back on and re-fill or just let it go?

·
TacoFever
414 Posts
I put RP in my LSD at 25k(April), after 5k(November) I'm getting the vibration/chatter after the vehicle has been sitting around. Like the first thread, it goes away after driving a block. I'm not sure if it was the 5k miles or the outside temperature has dropped to 55F.

I do frequent wkend trips to Tahoe for snowbrding, and I'm worried what would happen in the colder temps.

Not sure yet if I'll try another set of RP or go non-synth or get a bottle from the stealership. I don't want to add a friction modifier if RP was already suppose to have it. If I'm going to open the filler plug I might as well drain it.
I replaced the rear differential fluid on Friday. Used conventional gear oil, Valvoline 80W-90 + tube of friction modifier. No more binding/vibration. Drove in tight circles in both directions. I've only driven 90miles this wkend, so let's see how long this combination lasts.

It was saddening to drain 3Qts of 75W-90 RP. The RP was only in there for 5000 miles and came out like new. :thumbsdow
The 75W-90 is doing well in the front diff and transfer case though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, even after switching to the Dino oil with friction modifier and a few thousand miles (maybe 5k), I still have a slight chatter/shutter in the rear when backing out of a parking space after it has sit for a while. I don't know if it was the fact that I did put Synthetic in it, and just have not got it all out yet, or if the Synthetic damaged it in some way.

I'm planning on eventually doing the front diff and transfer case, with Synthetic, and if I do that, I'll probably go ahead and do another flush with the rear diff with some more Dino oil.

On another note, I was ticked off that I didn't realize at the local Advanced Auto that they are now selling a 4 qt jug of mobil 1 synthetic motor oil! I thought I was getting a good deal. Nice surprise when I went to pour the used motor oil back into the 4 qt jug...those of you that have the 4.0L engine know what would have happened... :rolleyes:

Based on what a friend has told me, I'm thinking about switching to Castrol Synthetic instead...:Bruce:

·
Tina come get some ham
05 Sport 4X4
1,023 Posts
I DRIVE A SPORT WHICH HAS THE LSD. THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY VARIATION. IF IT WORKS FOR SOME LSD'S THEN IT SHOULD WORK FOR ALL. I'VE BEEN GOING STRONG FOR ABOUT 8K MILES WITH NO ISSUES. M1 SYN WITH NAPA FRICTION MODIFIER IN THE REAR.
I STAND CORRECTED, IT STARTED BINDING SO I SWITCHED OUT TO VALVOLINE AND TUBE OF FRICTION MODIFIER AND GOOD AS GOLD. HOPE I DIDN'T DO ANY LONG TERM DAMAGE BY RUNNING M1 SYNTHETIC. LESSON LEARNED...LISTEN TO TN.

·
Slightly Sane
06 TRD Sport Ex. Cab
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I STAND CORRECTED, IT STARTED BINDING SO I SWITCHED OUT TO VALVOLINE AND TUBE OF FRICTION MODIFIER AND GOOD AS GOLD. HOPE I DIDN'T DO ANY LONG TERM DAMAGE BY RUNNING M1 SYNTHETIC. LESSON LEARNED...LISTEN TO TN.
:bash:

Trust me, your not the only one. That's why this thread is still alive and well after the 2+ years ago that I started it. And don't worry about your rear-diff being damaged, mine is still 100% bind-free after switching back to dino from synthetic.

With the new (2008+) TRD-Sports no longer having "true" mechanical LSD's anymore I doubt the newer Sports will have any problem running synthetic in their rear diffs now....it's just us 2005-2007 guys that need to read this thread.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
I've got 17,000 miles on my Redline Synthetic 75w-90 with premixed LSD modifier and it's STILL smooth as glass. I don't know why my case seems to be so different...but I have not had any issues with the Redline product. I changed the oil at around 30,000 miles and I'm at 47,000 now and I have no chatter and I can still spin both tires together easily.

·
Registered
2006 Silver Dbl Cab
647 Posts
I've got 17,000 miles on my Redline Synthetic 75w-90 with premixed LSD modifier and it's STILL smooth as glass. I don't know why my case seems to be so different...but I have not had any issues with the Redline product. I changed the oil at around 30,000 miles and I'm at 47,000 now and I have no chatter and I can still spin both tires together easily.
I am getting ready to put the same oil in my LSD. So you didn't add any of the friction modifier? I picked up a small bottle of it, but wasn't sure if I would need it or not.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts