Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
yea, I didn't mix in any friction modifier at all. However make sure the bottle you got is 75w-90 with LSD Modifier already added in. If your bottles say 75w-90NS on them, then they don't have any friction modifier pre-mixed into the oil and it wont work.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad I read this thread. So after reading those 4 pages, this is what I got out of it:

Mobil 1 synthetic in my LSD is a no-go.

Redline may work.

Best to play it safe and go with a conventional oil, 80W-90 with one tube of additive.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
:bash:

Trust me, your not the only one. That's why this thread is still alive and well after the 2+ years ago that I started it. And don't worry about your rear-diff being damaged, mine is still 100% bind-free after switching back to dino from synthetic.

With the new (2008+) TRD-Sports no longer having "true" mechanical LSD's anymore I doubt the newer Sports will have any problem running synthetic in their rear diffs now....it's just us 2005-2007 guys that need to read this thread.

Uh.. you mean 2009+. The 2008 models still had the mechanical LSD. At least My 2008 does...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, after 2 years and ~20,000 miles I started towing an enclosed trailer. The rear end seems to be binding a little again. I don't know if it is an issue with the additional load put on the axel or what. Not really sure what I'm going to do. I originally put in the Mobil 1 syn.... Bound up....checked this thread.....changed to Valvoline Dino with additive. It's been fine for 2 years and ~20,000 miles. Going to change it out again I think and add the additive again. It seems that the synthetic gets into the LSD and can cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
Well, after 2 years and ~20,000 miles I started towing an enclosed trailer. The rear end seems to be binding a little again. I don't know if it is an issue with the additional load put on the axel or what. Not really sure what I'm going to do. I originally put in the Mobil 1 syn.... Bound up....checked this thread.....changed to Valvoline Dino with additive. It's been fine for 2 years and ~20,000 miles. Going to change it out again I think and add the additive again. It seems that the synthetic gets into the LSD and can cause problems down the road.
Add a second bottle of friction modifier.

From what I've seen on other forums, that these diffs require additional friction modifier to quiet them down. I even confirmed with the local Toyota dealer that they also add more friction modifier and use the Ford XL3 modifier. I'm running Mobile 1 with XL3 and had to add a second bottle. It's been fine after that 2nd bottle.

In terms of towing regularly - you should change your rear diff fluids sooner than 30K miles. Check the owners manual for 'severe duty' maintenance interval.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@ Krookz, I just drained and filled her up with more Valvoline with the tube of modifier. The oil look great with slight smell to it. If this doesn't work I will most certainly try the Redline. (They didn't have any RP or Redline at my local auto parts store.)

@ Janster, I went roughly 25,000 miles of not towing anything from brand new when I changed it the first time. I have gone roughly 20,000 miles since the change and did not tow anything. The last 3,000 miles have had intermittent towing. That's when it started to make the binding noise again. I'll add one more tube of modifier if it starts making noise again. If that doesn't work, i'll change to Redline.

Thanks guys for your replies. I appreciate them.
Take care.

·
running with scissors...
2006 Tacoma 4X4 SR5
51 Posts
i use lucas oil 75w90 synthetic "for limited slip differentials" it claims it already has the LSD additive (friction modifier" in the synthetic oil. After emptying one of the bottles you can clearly see some dark smutz of some type in the bottom of the container. just did the rear diff and transfer case tonight, going to do manual trans and front diff tomorrow.

·
New TN Member
2006 DC Tacoma
82 Posts
To all, I started a similar thread about a over a year ago or so, maybe two. I went through same dance, used the 75w90 Amsoil and Redline. Had the chatter issues. This is only my opinion, but now I will only use the 80w90 as recommended by Toyota.

I ended up switching to the Dino after trying the two 75w products. On my next change this past spring I decided to go back to Amsoil synthetic EXCEPT I used their 80w90 lube, since I am dealer and I had a bunch of it on hand. I had the stealership add the friction modifier. No problems to date. And I also tow.

Again, this is just my experience if of course, you are determined to use synthetic in the limited slip, otherwise just go back to the Dino.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my answer

get rid of the LSD diff. and get a locker ;)

no binding unless you want binding ;)

cheers
Warts
Dude,

so can I use Mobil 1 75w90LS in my 2007 with TRD off road? Reading all this is giving me a headache but I do not want to pay the dealer. What is the verdict? I get the gear oil for free.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dude,

so can I use Mobil 1 75w90LS in my 2007 with TRD off road? Reading all this is giving me a headache but I do not want to pay the dealer. What is the verdict? I get the gear oil for free.
If you have the TRD O/R, then that means you have a locker. I believe the TRD O/Rs equipped with lockers have open differentials. You shouldn't have an LSD.

Kind of a coincidence that this thread just popped back up. I changed my rear diff oil just about a year ago. Just within the last week or so, I am finally starting to notice a bit of binding at very low speeds when making sharp turns.

·
Registered
141 Posts
PA,

I kind of understand what you say. But my oil being m1, is 75w90LS<<<<-------------

I am curious if I can use this in the xfer case and in the locker. Pls help me understand this. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You should be fine using the LS in the locker and TC. I had the same concern as you. I went to Carquest and picked up some 75w90 Valvoline FullSyn. It does not contain the LS additive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread saved my life. Had rear differential oil changed not knowing they don’t like synthetic in the 06 Tacoma trd sport with limited slip differential. Had immediate binding and chattering and thought I was screwed. Drained and refilled with valvoline 80w90 conventional and trans-x limited slip gear oil additive and instantly fixed. For safe measure went immediately to nearby parking lot and did 8 tight circles to the left and right to work it on. I’ll come post back if there are any issues.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
This thread saved my life. Had rear differential oil changed not knowing they don’t like synthetic in the 06 Tacoma trd sport with limited slip differential. Had immediate binding and chattering and thought I was screwed. Drained and refilled with valvoline 80w90 conventional and trans-x limited slip gear oil additive and instantly fixed. For safe measure went immediately to nearby parking lot and did 8 tight circles to the left and right to work it on. I’ll come post back if there are any issues.
You’ll have no issues using the trans-x additive. Stick with that kind and all will be good. Not all additives work (learned that the hard way), but that one always does.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts