Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Carmax is legit and the car is available. They don’t do teaser vehicles and there is no negotiating the price on the window. It’s an upfront fixed price. I know because I just purchased nearly the same one from them. 43k OTD (with 750 Toyota cash) for an AWD Limited w/12.3” touchscreen and some other addons (all weather floor mats and cargo liner, wheel locks, I think one other item but I don’t recall atm)
Thats a crazy good deal...is this all carmax's or just specific ones? I ended up with the same car but for 44.5 OTD. The MSRP of mine was 48.088. That honestly seems like a little too good to be true so I am actually curious which carmax this is for the future. Are there specific carmax that sell brand new toyotas? I knew I left some money on the table but this was my first time buying new.

The banter in this thread is pretty useless though. Since about 2 weeks ago, the supply of highlanders have been increasing significantly and you can easily negotiate below MSRP. Platinum is still in limited supply but that will probably change in about 2-4 weeks. There are plenty of XLE/Limited in dealerships. It is a little difficult finding a limited with the bigger screen though but not impossible.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
170 Posts
Thats a crazy good deal...is this all carmax's or just specific ones? I ended up with the same car but for 44.5 OTD. The MSRP of mine was 48.088. That honestly seems like a little too good to be true so I am actually curious which carmax this is for the future. Are there specific carmax that sell brand new toyotas? I knew I left some money on the table but this was my first time buying new.

The banter in this thread is pretty useless though. Since about 2 weeks ago, the supply of highlanders have been increasing significantly and you can easily negotiate below MSRP. Platinum is still in limited supply but that will probably change in about 2-4 weeks. There are plenty of XLE/Limited in dealerships. It is a little difficult finding a limited with the bigger screen though but not impossible.
Yea they have fantastic prices on new Toyotas, I don’t have the window sticker but my MSRP was similar around ~48500. There are only 2 “new car” carmax dealerships nationwide though (toyota), one is in Maryland and the other is in Wisconsin. Prices are about the same at both. With the current 750 offer from TFS prices OTD on limited range from ~42300 to ~43k (w/ 12” screen). The platinums they have in stock atm are just over 45k OTD...plus $99 dealer processing fee, tax, title/registration (idk what that’s like in Wisconsin). In Maryland tax and MVA fees added 3k to my price so 46k with all fees and taxes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea they have fantastic prices on new Toyotas, I don’t have the window sticker but my MSRP was similar around ~48500. There are only 2 “new car” carmax dealerships nationwide though (toyota), one is in Maryland and the other is in Wisconsin. Prices are about the same at both. With the current 750 offer from TFS prices OTD on limited range from ~42300 to ~43k (w/ 12” screen). The platinums they have in stock atm are just over 45k OTD...plus $99 dealer processing fee, tax, title/registration (idk what that’s like in Wisconsin). In Maryland tax and MVA fees added 3k to my price so 46k with all fees and taxes.
Thanks for the info, this is definitely the way to go at the moment. I have a hard time believing anyone can do better than that price for a Limited and prob a Platinum.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Unlike you, Every claim I’ve made is based on actual numbers and current offers on the HL. Good luck champ!
Every claim I have made is based on actual prices that other forum members said they paid or were quoted (in this thread and other threads).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I didn't want to start another thread for this. Has anyone seen the 2021 Kia Sorento? And there will be a hybrid!! Is anyone considering not getting the Highlander and waiting for the Kia? I'm a Toyota person, but I sure do love the looks (inside and out) of the new Sorento better than the HL. And the 60k miles warranty. And the almost certain lower price.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I didn't want to start another thread for this. Has anyone seen the 2021 Kia Sorento? And there will be a hybrid!! Is anyone considering not getting the Highlander and waiting for the Kia? I'm a Toyota person, but I sure do love the looks (inside and out) of the new Sorento better than the HL. And the 60k miles warranty. And the almost certain lower price.
I did see it, and it is sharp, but still ordered a Highlander Platinum today. While the Kia models are looking sharp these days, the bottom line with me is I don't trust the long term reliabilty yet, and the resale is not what a Highlander would be by long shot....maybe down the road closer, but not at this time, and those things are important to me.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
376 Posts
Toyota's saving grace against this might only be, that the HL is available right now, because just from looks alone, it is way more attractive than the HL. The insides look freaked awesome, and that could be looks alone, but they have a few other tech things that sound real interesting.

·
straight cash homie
19,883 Posts
I wonder if the Sorento is growing bigger in size...the thing I hate about Kia is their dealers.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My only caveat with Carmax is I think they might lowball a trade in which is where they can make some serious money if they want too. I think that is what happened to me when I traded in my 7 year old 4Runner to get my first Highlander. It's been a while , 2011, and it is only one anecdotal example I know. I must say that when I traded in my 14 year old Camry at the Carmax back in 2004 (when I bought the 4Runner) I thought they gave me a good value on it but, heck, it was 14 years old... I bought my vehicles at Carmax Laurel Maryland.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
170 Posts
Yea I’ve heard they do lowball the tradeins, better to take it elsewhere or sell it privately. I drive till the wheels fall off so I’m not really familiar with that aspect of car buying.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wonder if the Sorento is growing bigger in size...the thing I hate about Kia is their dealers.
I just read this: 2021 Sorento's wheelbase is about an inch longer than its predecessor and should offer more interior space. In addition to a slightly longer wheelbase, Kia says the engine compartment is more compact and its overhangs are shorter, which should add even more interior space.two turbo-4 engine options, including a 2.5-liter turbo-4 borrowed from the new Genesis GV80 crossover that makes 277 horsepower and a 1.6-liter turbo-4 paired to hybrid batteries and an electric motor that will make 227 hp combined. Those engines will be paired to an 8-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Kia (and Hyundai) warranty is 60K miles or 5 years, plus a powertrain warranty of 100K miles or 10 years (original purchaser only for the powertrain warranty).

But doesn't the Sorento compete against the RAV-4? I believe that the Kia Telluride competes against the HL.

·
straight cash homie
19,883 Posts
Kia (and Hyundai) warranty is 60K miles or 5 years, plus a powertrain warranty of 100K miles or 10 years (original purchaser only for the powertrain warranty).

But doesn't the Sorento compete against the RAV-4? I believe that the Kia Telluride competes against the HL.
Yep, Telluride/Pallisade compete against the HL, RAV competes against the Sorento/Tucson.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Sorento is now 3 rows. The HL can barely fit 3 rows. The RAV4 couldn't think about it. Doesn't the RAV4 compete with the Sportage? I'm not very Kia literate, but it might be time to learn about them. The Sorento hybrid is looking pretty good about now, especially since it might be available shortly after the 2020 HL hybrid arrives in any quantity.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
233 Posts
Face it, the third row is for children and/or pets. My teenager sort of was able to sleep back there. Remember these are mid sized SUVs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anybody else considering QX60? The 3rd row seems more comfortable than Highlander.
I did try one.As compared to the Highlander, the Highlander had less road noise, and the Nav is better. Many reviews complain of the Nav in the Qx60. The reviews are not the best, and a big feature I dislike is the CVT, which is what I'm getting away from now. It is a very good looking SUV, however reliability and resale are much better on a Highlander. I don't use the third row, so that was not part of my comparison. To get all the features the Highlander has, it really adds up on the QX60, so quite a bit more money.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts