Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Ok. So with 90k miles on th clock I figured it was time to get the "lifetime" factory fill WS fluid out. Or half of it atleast. The U660E trans is very finicky when it comes to being filled and shift performance will suffer if you under fill or overfill by even the littlest amount. It's a very in depth procedure. Before you begin to drain the fluid by pulling the pan, you need to be sure that the trans is at ambient air temperature by using a Toyota tech stream or another scan tool that allows you to monitor trans fluid temp. You have to disconnect the driver side trans mount out and jack the trans up a bit to get at one of the bolts on the trans pan. Drain the fluid. Clean the inside of the pan, and pan magnets out. Then bolt everything back up (torque to 62inch lbs) and add about 3 quarts of Toyota WS fluid with a pump through the fill hole. Start the engine slowly shift the trans from park to drive and back to park to circulate the trans fluid throughout the trans.After that watch trans temp. Once it's between 103-113 degrees you open up the overflow plug and alow the fluid to drain untill it slows to a trickle. Or if there is no trickle add fluid untill it does trickle. Then put the overflow plug back in and give the trans another little squirt of fluid. All while engine is still running. Anyhow here are some pics

My 90k mile fluid on the left vs new WS fluid on right

Trans pan dropped

Fill plug on side of trans

Trans pan after being cleaned. Notice 2 magnets.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was a felt one. You can see it in th picture with the pan pulled. Held in with 2 bolts. Changing it the next time I do a drain and refill. In about 30k miles or so. Pbly just going to get an infra red thermometer and measure trans temp through the pan.

·
イリジウム
13,831 Posts
Yeah, 30K is a good interval to use for WS and felt filters.

Do calibrate/compare the IR thermometer readings first, because pan color can affect readings.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main reason these transmissions don't have a dipstick is because WS fluid is hygroscopic. Meaning it absorbs moisture. And also it has alcohol in it.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice post. Is this the same automatic tranny in the 05-10 avalons? Anyone know?
It's the U660E. Same 6 speed in the Avalon. But earlier avalons with the 3.5 had a 5 speed.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,121 Posts
Toyota is adamant enough about WS being hygroscopic that they invented a special tool to pump it in and procedures to dispose of any not out of the bottle WS.

Is it true that's why they don't have dipsticks? Idk. My WS Camry has a dipstick but after 2010 only a handful still do. The sequoia and tundra were the first to eliminate them in 2005.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm currently in a transmission class designed by Toyota for Toyota vehicles. That is what I was taught by a Toyota instructor. Why he would lie is beyond me. Like hardtopte72 said, Toyota made a special pump for the stuff, and I used it when I did mine. The end threads into the fill plug and has a quick disconnect at the other end for different fill plug sizes. That is the main reason that most Toyota vehicles do not have a dipstick. Are there other reasons? I'm sure. Like the fact that they don't want people adding the wrong fluid because WS is not compatable with any other ATF

·
Registered
438 Posts
If I remember correctly, the scanguage2 can read transmission temp when it has the newer software.... I bought my scanguage2 back in 2007. I wonder if I could use that instead of the Toyota tech stream.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I remember correctly, the scanguage2 can read transmission temp when it has the newer software.... I bought my scanguage2 back in 2007. I wonder if I could use that instead of the Toyota tech stream.
as long as you can keep the temp between 103-113 i dont see a problem with it. Just gotta be quick with it.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just added a little note in bold on the OP that i forgot to menion after filling the trans.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No special pump is needed. A tech instructor doesn't lie if he doesn't have a clue on what he is talking about. He is relaying misinformation. I was never impressed by the hierarchy at Toyota. Clueless sheeple from the dealer all the way to corporate. I also found some of their engineers to be arrogrant without the brain power to back up their superiority complex. Take everything you are taught with a grain of salt.

Dipstickless AT is to prevent clueless owners, full service stations, and grease monkeys from overfilling or using leftover 1950's ATF.

Dipstickless engines are next and soon. Drainplugless or fixed plug non-serviceable components are too.

·
イリジウム
13,831 Posts
Pre-06 Avalons use the 4-speed A541E. 06-07 Avalon 5-speed uses the Aisin U151E. And after 08 it's the U660E. And Toyota migrated from dino T-IV to WS. IMO the older A series were more reliable than the new U series clunkers.

Nice post. Is this the same automatic tranny in the 05-10 avalons? Anyone know?

·
イリジウム
13,831 Posts
I don't know why the WS is hygroscopic. They could have just used Dexron VI (6), which is considered a superior fluid. Maybe WS has a glycol component? That may be the alcohol OP mentioned.

I think another reason for the plugs-only newer transmissions these days is because these ATFs are "filled for life". :rofl2: (yeah right!)

Many European cars already come without engine oil dipsticks for years. They use oil level and condition sensors. There are also low coolant sensors in the reservoirs. The owners don't need to pop the hood anymore.

Toyota is adamant enough about WS being hygroscopic that they invented a special tool to pump it in and procedures to dispose of any not out of the bottle WS.

Is it true that's why they don't have dipsticks? Idk. My WS Camry has a dipstick but after 2010 only a handful still do. The sequoia and tundra were the first to eliminate them in 2005.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My 08 Highlander is also dipstick equipped with factory filled WS. All oils have moisture levels that vary with running condition and water content is measureable when oil/atf is new in the bottle.

The only alcohol that worry about underhood stops my car. The other is mixed 50:50 and doesn't vary much over its usage life.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If someone wanted to check the level could you just drive it around for a few miles to get it up to temp and then pull the fill plug to get a idea where the level is.
My car changes gear in odd ways such as it will change back down while accelarating I also have a 2011 venza that does not do this such shifting I had it checked and they said its normal BS on that I have also driven other Camrys and they don't do this downshift while accel. by the way it also flare shifts for the first time going through the gears on a cold start

All this tells me its low in fluid but don't know how to check level and dealer is no help

2011 l4 44000 miles:headbang:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Under warranty, its easy to get dealer to check atf level but requires morals/ethics suspension.
Just loosen an atf cooler hose or drain plug and go into dealership for leak repair. Or, splash a little atf at those locations.

Its sad when you have to battle with a dealer or automaker because they removed the dipstick to save a few bucks and to drive up dealer future revenue. We definitely need a class action against all automakers that make it impossible to do a simple level check. Lifetime free checks and top offs sounds like a fair settlement. Any consumer advocates out there???

·
Registered
438 Posts
Under warranty, its easy to get dealer to check atf level but requires morals/ethics suspension.
Just loosen an atf cooler hose or drain plug and go into dealership for leak repair. Or, splash a little atf at those locations.

Its sad when you have to battle with a dealer or automaker because they removed the dipstick to save a few bucks and to drive up dealer future revenue. We definitely need a class action against all automakers that make it impossible to do a simple level check. Lifetime free checks and top offs sounds like a fair settlement. Any consumer advocates out there???

I like that idea on how to get them to check things out :) the front window motors on my 07 Camry don't sound very good but my dealership wont change them out until they go bad.... assholes. All I need is for them to fail when it starts raining

1 - 20 of 77 Posts