Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the oil for the first time (dealer has been doing it for the 2 yrs) do I need to remove the black skid plat to access the oil pan? Couldn't find anything specific using search.

·
IndyGo Ink
03 Matrix Xr
34 Posts
Nope. There's a hole in the skid plate to access the drain plug.

Have fun.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Double check to ensure you are draining the oil pan - lots of stories on here of people draining their transmission by mistake...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at 2 pans, one is the oil, and the other I'm sure is the transmission. 1 pan is in front of the front axle, and the other to the rear of the front axle. 2wdr prerunner. Just wanted to make sure I have the right pan, which I'm pretty sure is the one in front. There was no holes in the skid plate.

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
It's the one in front.

·
Registered
Black 2006 DC LB
92 Posts
just did it last night. It's the one in front of the front axle. Black stuff came out. No red stuff! hahaha.

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
Also, if you feel under that metal cup that sort of surrounds the oil filter, there is a rubber plug/cap. Pull it off and stick an empty water bottle under there to catch the oil from the filter. After a couple of times you won't spill any oil at all. Also, so I don't lose the rubber cap, I stick it on one of the nuts that holds the engine cover on - fits perfectly.

·
Registered
Black 2006 DC LB
92 Posts
good tips. I use a piece of hose to run the oil to the drain pain but maybe an old plastic bottle would be more convenient.

·
Prerunnin'
07 Tacoma Dub Cab
493 Posts
Also, if you feel under that metal cup that sort of surrounds the oil filter, there is a rubber plug/cap. Pull it off and stick an empty water bottle under there to catch the oil from the filter. After a couple of times you won't spill any oil at all. Also, so I don't lose the rubber cap, I stick it on one of the nuts that holds the engine cover on - fits perfectly.
There's a rubber plug on that thing? I've changed my oil since 10,000 miles and there's never been one there. Oh well LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts