Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car in Sept and would like to do at least basic maintenance on it; starting with oil changes. I'm scared being that it is the first time (and first car since 1998 - I keep my cars forever). The owners manual doesn't have much information and I was surprised to find out there is no factory manual (yet?) for it unlike my other cars.

Is there a detailed description of how to change the oil and filter? Say a Youtube video starting with the jacking point? Searching the forum and Youtube didn't help but I could have missed it.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,667 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!! Perfect! Thank you so very much. Reading through it will preclude my asking the Toyota service dept if I could watch while they change the oil for me so I can learn.
One question I still have is the front jack point - is it obvious? If I can screw up, I usually do. Is there a picture of that somewhere?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,667 Posts
Double check but I'm sure you'll spot them, doubt much has changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a metal buckle in the middle of the front plastic covers - the manual seems to agree this is the front jack point. I took a risk and tried it with my floor jack - worked fine. And your piece on changing the oil makes sense. Once my free oil changes expire at 25000, I'll start doing it myself.
One question, some sites I have visited suggest there is more to removing the filter than spinning it off and spinning on a new can. Is it that simple or do I need to do something more?

·
8,164 Posts
Far I know, it is a filter inside the housing.
To do it right, you need proper wrench for it. You can buy them from any parts store or online. Dorman makes them. Laos, be prepared to extreme torque required to undo the housing. We had, myslef including, many owners using cheap pipes and breaker bars to undo that housing.
I replaced mine with metal one right away. I think, OEM plastic one swells and self locks.
unless they changed to canister filter again, then get oil filter wrench that looks like a spider with 3 prongs. Those are great.

Ploease, if you have filter housing, remember - center 3/8 square hole in the filter h

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I saw a video with a housing for the filter, but on my car it looks like a regular metal oil filter, no plastic. Could it be that the 2019 Camry Hybrid has a garden variety oil filter and no tricks? I was going to try a tongue and groove pliers to remove the filter as I do for my 1997 Odyssey.
So, am I liable to do any real damage on removing this filter? Anything I should look out for or just keep putting pressure on the old filter (or housing?) to remove it?

·
8,164 Posts
Well, this is why I said - do you still have it?
There was a lot of hatred to new canister type filters and I think, they changed it to g'ol style, with regular spin on filter. That I do not know and Youtube is full of misleading info, anyone wants to be new guru of anything.
Basically, look under and check for yourself.
No, you can't do any damage, unless you really try to. And, long tongue pliers will not work on filters. You got to have proper tool for the job, so get one.

Quick Google check showed that you have regular spin on filter. Good for you. Get large oil catch pan and good oil filter wrench. Any "cap" type filter removal tool I ever tried does not work, so I do not recommend them. One with prongs, I have it for years and it works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! I'll get the three prong filter wrench, some oil and a Fram filter, and I'm in business. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
54 Posts
I just changed the oil in my 2020 Hybrid Avalon for the first time at around 3,000 miles. I think it is the same engine. For the next change I will use one of the free oil changes. I used Mobil 1 0W-16 available at Walmart. There is also a fiber washer on the drain plug that is apparently recommended to be changed. You would have to get that at a Toyota dealership. I did not do this on my first change but I plan to pick up some of the washers for the next change. I think you may like a cap wrench for your oil filter a little better although it would take a 3/8 inch drive ratchet wrench to operate it. Walmart most likely has those as well. You can verify the proper size by trying different oil filter caps until you find one that fits your filter. There is a bottom shield over the drain plug and filter that you will need to remove to gain access.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Quick Google check showed that you have regular spin on filter. Good for you. Get large oil catch pan and good oil filter wrench. Any "cap" type filter removal tool I ever tried does not work, so I do not recommend them. One with prongs, I have it for years and it works great."

I haven't been able to find the three pronged oil filter wrench. Would you give me a link to it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
54 Posts
I am not endorsing this particular wrench but I think generally you would be happier with a cap filter wrench. Easiest way to do this would be to pick a filter that fits your car then match that to the cap wrench. This will assure that you have the correct size. This wrench style is readily available at most auto parts places, Walmart and others. They are made by a multitude of manufacturers.

Walmart Cap Wrench

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought this car in Sept and would like to do at least basic maintenance on it; starting with oil changes. I'm scared being that it is the first time (and first car since 1998 - I keep my cars forever). The owners manual doesn't have much information and I was surprised to find out there is no factory manual (yet?) for it unlike my other cars.

Is there a detailed description of how to change the oil and filter? Say a Youtube video starting with the jacking point? Searching the forum and Youtube didn't help but I could have missed it.
Oil change is every 10,000 miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts