Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
9,079 Posts
^ it looks like a 3/8'' barbed fitting (both ends) and the other one is probably tapped on one end so a stop bolt/nut can be installed.
can get it from Home Depot or Lowes' etc, HD is where I got mine from.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ghost_003
Could you please advise from where did you get those metal connectors that are attached to the transparent hose ?
Regards
I picked up all connections from home depot and the clear hoses from canadian tire. I can't remember exactly what size but I think fenixus is right. 1x 3/8" barbed on both ends
1x 3/8" barbed to 3/8" threaded
1x 3/8" cap

I think thats what they are. I could try measuring the pieces and posting confirmation.

Also what I did was before I started, I made sure to put the barbed connection in the hose and take it out again a few times just to make sure it would be easier to remove at the end of the P/S flush. Just insert a couple notches at a time to make sure to hose loosens up a bit. A friend of mine did his a few days before and we couldnt pull the barb out. He had inserted the barb all the way in on the first try.

·
The Spirited Driver
424 Posts
Remember that they are "3/8 barbs" and NOT just 3/8 connectors. I got the double barbs at Lowes hardware stores. They have a lot of piping connectors but barely any barbs (bc it's mainly used for fish tanks and such low pressure piping).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did this on my 98 Corolla (found this thread looking on Google). I'm glad I did it. Not only does the steering take less effort now, the old fluid had some nastyness in it. When I was dumping the bucket I used into my oil collection bucket and I got down towards the bottom I saw all the dirty black crap draining out. I'm glad to not have that in my power steering anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, I have 94 Camry V6. The reservoir have 4 connection like picture below, which one is the return hose? Can somebody help explain the connection A, B, C and D on the picture. How do I flush the fluid with this 4 connection? Thank you very much.

I need to know also because my 95 V6 looks like this.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I am only a DIYer, so take this post with a grain of salt. I have read that on the 94/95 V6 Camry, the cooling fan is hydraulically driven. That is why there is two supply and two return hoses on your power steering fluid reservoir.

I have also read that sometime in 96, Toyota abandoned this design and went back to an electric cooling fan. Someone posted the power steering diagram on a Lexus forum. The diagram is quite helpful to understand how the four hoses are connected on your power steering reservoir.

What I don't know is which are the supply hoses and which are the return hoses in your photo. According to TN forum member noodlerooney (post #34 above), the lower, larger diameter hose supplies fluid to the power steering pump and the upper, smaller diameter hose is the return of fluid to the reservoir. I assume that this is consistent with your power steering reservoir also.

The first step is to determine which hose goes to the steering rack (labelled PS gear housing on the above diagram) and which hose goes to the cooling fan (ie. hydraulic motor on the above diagram). You could do this by trial and error or ask a Toyota dealer in your area.

To exchange the fluid would be a two step process - first do the steering rack circuit, then cycle the solenoid valve on and off to exchange the fluid in the hydraulic cooling fan circuit. The first circuit is easy - follow the steps posted in this DIY procedure. The second circuit not so easy. You need to figure out how to manually cycle the solenoid valve on and off.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The guide for flushing the Power Steering is spot on and works well. I did it yesterday. The only thing I might add is make this a 2-3 person job as adding fluid, holding the hose, and turning the wheel are a bit challenging to do at the same time. I ended up with fluid all over my garage! Lesson learned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The guide for flushing the Power Steering is spot on and works well. I did it yesterday. The only thing I might add is make this a 2-3 person job as adding fluid, holding the hose, and turning the wheel are a bit challenging to do at the same time. I ended up with fluid all over my garage! Lesson learned.
Yea. Two extra women on one extra guy.. I still ended up with some oil with my daughter helping.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did this today without spilling any fluids or letting air into the system. Worked great!

Wheel turns silky smooth now :D

Only question is, what is the best way to clean the clear tubing out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did this today without spilling any fluids or letting air into the system. Worked great!

Wheel turns silky smooth now :D

Only question is, what is the best way to clean the clear tubing out?
I took a bunch of water and decreaser and flushed it a bit. Either that or just chunk it. Cheap hose.

·
1998 Camry LE
81 Posts
Thanks a ton for the write-up! My PS fluid is brown, so I'd say it's past time to change it. I was thinking I'd have to remove the front wheel, disconnect all the hoses, etc. This looks much easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great idea on pumping out using shampoo bottle!

To do an effective change, pump reservoir clean, and refill with quality Dex-III. Repeat every few days/weekly until 1quart been used. Drive for few weeks. This will let the fresh fluid slowly clean the system. Now repeat process using Mobil 1or other Dex-III compatible synthetic. This will result in a cleaned and fully-flushed PS system ready for many more miles.

Try leaving a decently strong magnet in the reservoir, tied firmly to a short length of dental floss. After I saw what it collected in Volvo, I installed an inline filter!

·
Hybrid noob
102 Posts
So after reading this thread, I understand that there are 2 ways to change the PS fluid:
1) easier: simply suck up the reservoir fluid and replenish it, repeating at regular intervals till the whole fluid is cleaned up. A poster earlier recommended 4-5 fills to clean 68% of the fluid with 1 qt.
2) perform the DIY as described here as that will flush the entire system at once. However that introduces some complexity (for a noob like me) and possibility to introduce air. However air can be expelled simply by turning wheels.

I have a 2003 Rav4. Would you recommend 2) above for me? Would the steps be roughly the same for me?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did this diy back in December. Very simple to do

I used a straw to suck out the old fluid. Suck it and hold it so it doesn't drip out. Make sure the fluid doesnt touch your lips

·
Registered
649 Posts
I did this diy back in December. Very simple to do

I used a straw to suck out the old fluid. Suck it and hold it so it doesn't drip out. Make sure the fluid doesnt touch your lips
No do not do this with your mouth lol. At the very least use a turkey baster or something similar.

·
Car Noob
169 Posts
Plan to do this on my 00 i4 Camry sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Do I have to lift up the car when doing this? I thought the steering wheel moves easily when key ignition is set to "On" or whatever it is called.. the one before actually starting the engine?

Thanks!

81 - 100 of 101 Posts