Toyota Nation Forum banner

changing the color of instrument panel light

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  AutoGhost 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried this? I would like to change the color from orange to blue.

#3 ·
I was thinking about doing the same thing..the orange looks to Pontiac to me. I think blue and green are nicer on the eyes and look more up to date. I am gonna eventually change to blue...Once I find out how many bulbs and what type it takes

#6 · (Edited)
You could change everything except the odometer LCD (unless you swap it out completely). I don't think it is LED backlight driven, but I could be wrong, it's a black on orange display. The rest of the gauges and needles can be swapped out. You'd have to take out the cluster to see exactly how many but they would look exactly like the one below (taken from the post on how to backlight the 4x4 switch) I think you'd be able to salvage the existing LED mount and solder whatever color LED you want right in. Looks like a typical T1-3/4 (5mm) size LED from the picture.

#7 ·
Pull the bulbs and use a Sharpie pen to color them your choice. It works well. Did the same thing in my STi. So far two years later it has held up flawlessly.

#11 ·
it grows on you...i hated it at first, but have grown to accept and even like it

#15 ·
This may be quite out of the ordinary, and it may not. My turn signal indicators are... Yellow. They're not green like the manual says. They're not green like everyone else says. They're not green like every other Toyota I've been in. They're yellow. Am I the only one, or is this common to a package, or common to the 06's? Did I get something a little different somehow?

#16 ·
How yellow are they?

Pure yellow, sun yellow, traffic light yellow?

I have an '05 and I think you could call the light a yellow-green or a very pale green, almost yellow.

They are definitely not the green I had in my '92 Camry or even as green as they were in my BMW.

#17 ·
Hmmmm, yellow turn signals, my '06 are green so its not year related, and im ok with the orange, i just keep it dim, just bright enough to see the gas guage.

#18 ·
If I can ever get my hands on a digital camera, I'll snap a pic. They're definitely yellow. They're not quite a sun yellow, they're not a pale yellow. They have the slightest SLIGHTEST hint of blue or green, but it's so subtle that you can barely even tell nore can you tell which one is mixed in. All of my sensor lights are like that (except the red ones). The tire pressure warning light and the head lamp indicator are the 2 I see most often. It's really kinda cool. I like seeing that versus a green indicator.

Like I said... I've been in a bazillion Toyotas. I've seen the green turn signals. These are no where close. They're quite yellow. Very cool, I think. It kinda offsets the Orange and red a little bit.

I traded in my 05 Mustang for this truck. On my Mustang, I had the MyColor dash where you could change the color of the gauges. I went through a lot of colors trying to find one I liked. I ended up with red and then finally Orange before I traded it in for my truck. The orange was nice because it diferentiated the needles from the numbers more than red. The needle always stayed red. So, I'm actually quite fond of Orange. If I went with Blue, I had a hard time telling if my bright lights were on or not. It blended in too much with my brights indicator. Green is too... BLUUUH. I'm not doing purple or pink (although my wife LOVED that). So there aren't too many choices that work much better than rRd and Orange. They really are the easiest on the eyes because of the color wave lengths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.