Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Toyota Newbie
Her truck,when needs
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a total newb when it comes to brakes.

I need to change the pads on a 2000 Tundra and need to know if there are any special tools needed.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
196 Posts
One word of advice............do not get cheap brake pads. Get the high dollar or dealer brake pads. I learned from a two bad experiences. Bad brake pads cause bad rotors and lead to major problems.

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts

1. Bottle of brake cleaner
2. Apropriate wrenches-- both Socket and open ended combination
3. Clamp or it's special tool to force the pads/push the piston back for room
4. Decent set of pads like BJ meantioned.
5. Anti squeel stuff/ gel/ spray
6. Not so coarse sand paper to degloss/ scratch up the pads and discs a bit.
7. Haynes, equivalent or the manufacturer's book.

I guess everything is typical exept for that clamp/ special tool you'll need. I've seen it sell for five bucks at the most *the piston depressor.* C-clamp at HomeDepot goes for 2 bucks?

·
Toyota Newbie
Her truck,when needs
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but,my stepdaughter found someone with an identical Tundra and they already did them.

·
2004 Thundra V8 4WD TRD
2004 Tundra
62 Posts
Would I be right if I said the calipers do not even need to come off to change the pads? That is, they come right off the back fo the calipers by taking off some pins or clips?

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
yes and no.

You'll still need to push the piston back first so you can have access to the old pads.
(Don't forget to open the cap to the master cylinder sao the brake fluid has somewhere to go.)

·
Banned
24 Posts
Just do it at the Dealer. Ive gone thru a set of front pads twice already. I have 42K miles on mine but I am a spirited driver. I dont mind normal wear and tear. Im on my second set of tires too!!

·
Banned
24 Posts
my dealer does all my brakes under warranty. If you keep warping the rotors (on purpose) they will just keep on turning the rotors & installing new pads for FREE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Piece of Cake

Replacing pads are a peice of cake. I use something like a turkey baster to remover brake fluid prior to retracting caliper pistons. Don't retract the pistons on the 4 piston style caliper while it is unbolted from bracket (like when you are changing rotors).....One of the pistons will on the opposing side will certainly try to jump out. Derpess the pistons on 4 piston calipers when they are bolted up and insert the new pads one at a time. Top off the master cylinder. Invest in some hi-temp silicone caliper grease. KO

·
2004 Thundra V8 4WD TRD
2004 Tundra
62 Posts
If I'm going to push the pistons back in with the old pads still in there, what do you use?, a big ole C-clamp?

·
Francois L'Ollonais
297 Posts
Dude, remember please, OPEN THE VALVE BEHIND THE PISTON BEFORE PUSHING IT BACK. Please dont just push it back. ABS systems are too f'ing sensitive. You push to much, too fast and you'll be changing a master cylinder too or the ABS sensors. I dont know how many times people tell me that their brake pedal feels spongy or travels too far down. I know, I did it before too. Ask any mechanic that knows their stuff, that really knows their stuff.

·
2004 Thundra V8 4WD TRD
2004 Tundra
62 Posts
By "the valve", do you mean the bleed-fitting? Should I attatch a piece of tubing/hose to the fitting, crack it then push the pistons back in?

I truly appreciate the response. Thanks

·
Francois L'Ollonais
297 Posts
Yeah, thats exactly how. Attach the tube and open it enough to let the fluid out while pushing the piston back in. The problem is that your "trusty" ASE mechanics dont want to take the time to do this. That is why labor on brakes is so expensive. I think their stupid reference book that they use to charge you, tells them that it is a 2 hour job @ 30-45 dollars an hour. So they do it in 30 minutes. AND, AND, AND, if they have to cut your rotors forget it, add $50.
Just remember enough to let the fluid out, not all the way. And keep filling the reservoir at the master cylinder as you do all the work. You dont want air going in there, then you have to bleed the whole system.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
2004 Thundra V8 4WD TRD
2004 Tundra
62 Posts
Thanks lollanais! I truly appreciate the information.

I have done pads on many other cars/motorcycles/dirtbikes and for the most part it is a very simple affair, sometimes calipers need to come off sometimes not. Some pistons need a tool to get back in the caliper, some need to be screwed in. I'll make sure I crack the bleed valve and even put a knot in the tubing so that air cannot get back in to caliper. This should be a very simple job as Toyota almost goes out of their way to make things easy for anyone to do the maintenance.

I have the factory manual I bought off ebay for $125 for both manuals so I'll refer to that as well. THanks again, this has been a very helpful thread all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts