Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How diffifcult is it to change a timing belt on a 91 camry, 4 cyl, fwd? I was able to obtain a service manual and it looks pretty easy. It does say to use several special service tools (SST). I assume it would make the job a whole lot easier to do, but can this be done with out it. I read couple of threads and it says to use air tools which i do have. I have some basic mechanic skills and just don't want to start the change and not able to finish. So came here to get some help and advice. Thanks. :p:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
its a pain in the ass.

when we changed one, it sucked. it took all day. and the AC crap was all in the way, and there isnt much room to work with.

its doable, but anoying.

·
97 BlackWidowed
camry
626 Posts
get some one that knows what they are doing... you mess up the timing on the motor, it wont run or you could damage it.....

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
The SST is to hold the crank pulley, which you don't need. Use a impact wrench to loosen up the crank pulley bolt.

You also need a pulley puller. You need the bolt type puller. Do not use a jaw type puller, otherwise you risk damaging the pulley.

Make sure you understand how to align the crank and cams. If its not aligned properly the car will not run or run like shit.

Instructions from a factory (Toyota) repair manual:

http://yotarepair.com/3S-FEtimingbelt.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts