Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I bought a used 2011 RAV4 about 6 months ago. It currently has 61,000 miles. About 2 weeks ago the CEL, VSC, and 4WD lights came on. I took it to my auto mechanic who thought that all it needed was a software update from Toyota. Last week the lights came on again, and my mechanic took it into Toyota who found that it needs a replacement fuel filler tank cover, pipe holder, and charcoal canister, about $1150 to do. (The codes were P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, P2409- Water in EVAP system).

Since I just bought this car 6 months ago and have limited funds, I was wondering if any other RAV4 owners had experienced a similar problem? If so, did you take it into Toyota to do the work? Did you have any success with Toyota assisting with the charges? How much did this work cost?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Check your gas cap. The symptoms described are frequently associated with failed fuel system leak test that the car performs everyday. 99% of the time the culprit is loose / defective gas cap. So before spending any big money, make sure that you tighten your gas cap firmly every time you fill-up the tank. You may need to wait a couple of days for the codes to reset.

If this does not solve the problem, replace the gas cap ($15-20 expense).

If the problem is NOT caused by the gas cap, then you have a leak somewhere else. Your dealer wants to replace all possible components at the same time, instead of finding out which one is the leaky one and replacing only the defective part. Go to a different dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem correctly.

It could be the gas tank, OR a pipe OR the charcoal canister, not all of them at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! That is extremely valuable information and I appreciate your insight. I'm going to start with the gas cap and keep my fingers crossed.
I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thank you so much! That is extremely valuable information and I appreciate your insight. I'm going to start with the gas cap and keep my fingers crossed.
I really appreciate your help!
You're welcome. I hope it is something as simple as that. In any case, get a second opinion from a different dealer. The charcoal canister can fail, but it is very unusual.

·
Registered
2009 RAV4 Sport AWD
160 Posts
Hi bouldergal. I had a P2418 and my mechanic wanted to replace the charcoal cannister. I decided to wait and I tried resetting the battery and it cleared the check engine code. I believe the problem was caused by overfilling the gas tank. The check engine light went away after resetting the battery connection. I used my code scanner to verify and cleared it from my ECM memory. It has been a year and the check engine light has never returned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your message! That is very encouraging, and I really appreciate your advice! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a similar outcome to yours!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts