Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the breakdown, 1980 toyota pickup w/ 20r engine 4wd, replaced battery to find out that alternator failed. Replaced alt, drained the battery again, recharged battery and decided to replace external voltage regulator. Still won't charge battery, replaced in line fuses and engine fuse under dash, cleaned grounds on engine block and next to battery and alternator wiring. Run battery test and voltage drops below 12 when running still! Sooo ... any thoughts or past experiences that may help me with this bug my truck has?
here's the current wire set up on the alt
no ideawhat this wire is, comes out of the same location as the alt wires, but wasn't hooked up on the previous alt or ever for as far as I know... leads to here
but does not go into voltage regulator wiring
these are the only inline fuses I could locate

Appreciate any help,
Aloha, Jacob

·
Registered
3 Posts
So here's the breakdown, 1980 toyota pickup w/ 20r engine 4wd, replaced battery to find out that alternator failed. Replaced alt, drained the battery again, recharged battery and decided to replace external voltage regulator. Still won't charge battery, replaced in line fuses and engine fuse under dash, cleaned grounds on engine block and next to battery and alternator wiring. Run battery test and voltage drops below 12 when running still! Sooo ... any thoughts or past experiences that may help me with this bug my truck has? View attachment 296389 here's the current wire set up on the alt
View attachment 296391 no ideawhat this wire is, comes out of the same location as the alt wires, but wasn't hooked up on the previous alt or ever for as far as I know... leads to here View attachment 296393 but does not go into voltage regulator wiring
View attachment 296394 these are the only inline fuses I could locate

Appreciate any help,
Aloha, Jacob
I had a no charge problem too. I disconected the wire from the idle solinoid on the carb. Next i put 12 volts from the battery to the wire i took off the solinoid. This made the charging system work. I later discovered a wire under the car that was pulled off the transmission. When i hooked it back up everything started working fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts