Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old battery of abotu 8 years died. I replaced it. Two weeks later, my new battery is dead. The car will jump start, and run fine, but as soon as the car is turned off it won't restart, even with 20-30 mintes of run time. with all accessories on, engine running the voltage at the battery terminals is 14.7 volts. Turned off, engine off, the battery read 9 volts. Se my new battery junk or could the voltage regulator be bad and cooked both batteries? I need to have a working car so please help.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
14.7V with engine running is right. Try rev engine to 3000-4000 rpm and check voltage again. Should stay around 14.4V. If it goes much higher, regulator is bad. New battery maybe bad/frozen. You could have a short which draw power when key is off which drain the battery.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had a similar prob with my celica, turned out to be the regulator in the alternator, only figured it out once the brushes burned badly and f*&$ing stranded me.

I got a nice newly rebuilt one on my 91 celica if you need one and don't wanna pay for new

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts