Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Pickup
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had to replace the pulley wheel for the belt on my 88 that runs the A/C because the bearings had seized. The belt had started to throw chunks of rubber and smoke just before I changed the pulley. A few days after changing the pulley the belt came apart and I had to replace it as well. After replacing the belt, I still have charging lights come on and I am not sure what the deal is. I had the alternator replaced back in August but I am having trouble believing that it's failing already. If it is, it's under warranty.

Does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to them?

·
Registered
2008 Corolla
114 Posts
Go have your alternator checked! Most places will check it for free. If it is good, check your connections. If it is bad, get a new one.

I have had issues with other vehicles where the wire to turn on/off that warning light had issues causing the light to always stay on, or never come on.

·
Registered
4X4
130 Posts
You may not have it tight enough. Check to see that you tightened up the alternator. Or, loosen the bolt, apply pressue to the alt, and re-tighten.

·
Registered
85 pickup, SR5
127 Posts
Definitely go and have it checked. I’ve been through 3 alternators in as many years. These reman alternators that the parts stores sell are pretty low quality. The only thing that keeps me from being overly pissed off about that is the fact that it has a life time warranty and it’s not all that bad to remove.

·
Corona is gone.
86 Pickup
863 Posts
Don't buy from Advance Auto. I purchased a Bosch from Rock Auto, and it's worked fine so far. Don't overtighten the belts, you'll eat up the bearings.

·
Registered
4X4
130 Posts
"Don't overtighten the belts, you'll eat up the bearings."

Agreed.

Too loose and you won't charge the system as required. Hence the dash light.

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Pickup
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked all the belts and they are equal tension so I will no doubt be having the alternator checked. also going to have to get my starter changed, again under warranty, because I keep having to take a hammer to it and it's not even a year old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts