Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,756 Posts
ummmm........i think the car that's closest to a chaser conversion is the Lexus LS400. The chaser chassis is bigger than camry's and Avalons. The LS400 is closest. But I also think the 1998 Acura RL 3.2 has the closest resemblence that of a Chaser. So, dont' even try it, my opinion that is.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
jhbhatia said:
Cressida!
But that wouldn't be a 1997 chaser. You could conver one to the old model.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Talisman18 said:
But that wouldn't be a 1997 chaser. You could conver one to the old model.
I meant...cressida's chaser and MArkII were sold at different markets all under different badings (essentially same chassy). I yes, WE DID OWN A 1996 CRESSIDA abroad. So my answer still holds.....I'm assuming externally and LHD conversion right?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You really cant, I dont think there is any direct conversion model that you could work with. The Chaser is quite different from the others.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
jhbhatia said:
I meant...cressida's chaser and MArkII were sold at different markets all under different badings (essentially same chassy). I yes, WE DID OWN A 1996 CRESSIDA abroad. So my answer still holds.....I'm assuming externally and LHD conversion right?
I'd swear the Cressida name died after 1992 when it... died. I've never known otherwise :confused:

You're not going to convert a '97 Chaser to anything.

IMO, the closest car in terms of *similarity* of that age would be a GS300, but even then, they're different cars. The Chaser has always been a sportier version of the Mark II/Cressida.

Brian in Arizona on the Cressida forums is putting this JZX81 Chaser front end onto his '90 Cressida. Front end taken from a JDM front cut - under that hood is going to be a firebreathing 1JZ-GTE with biiig single turbo, MKIV rims (with stock centre caps, they fit lol), Z32 300ZX brakes, and Kei Office coilovers that he just got.

more pics of the "JZX83":
http://www.jzxproject.com/mambotest/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=33

pics of Tein Type HA coilovers and Kei Office for comparison:
http://www.jzxproject.com/mambotest/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=33

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,756 Posts
I like Kei Office better for drifting, but Tein is one of the best Suspension aftermarket company out there for any genre.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Tein's good stuff. They still actually manufacture stuff for the 1989-1992 Cressida in the form of Type HA coilovers and S-Tech springs. Stuff for the JZX81 Mark II/Chaser/Cresta is all compatible.

Kei Office, on the other hand... the set I linked to above may be the last JZX81/Cressida set to be made by them... it's a special order, as they were discontinued.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
jhbhatia said:
Okaaaaayyy, but what good would that do him? He lives in the states. You can't just import cars here and drive them on the road or he could just import a Chaser. The information you just gave doesn't help him at all so I am not quite seeing how your answer holds :whatthe:

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,756 Posts
I know a company that can import you cars legally. Have the DMV check and give it a VIN number for it. Takes 2-3 months, but I think it'll be worth it. I mean, i've seen couple of skyline GT-Rs here in Southern California. Heck, I've even seen two R32 GT-Rs duking it out on the freeway.

There's a guy at school with a JDM Integra Type R, DC2. Right Hand, honda goodies. no sign of acura. If I had the money, I would import the Toyota Chaser Tourer V. Tourer V has the 280 HP JZX engine, 6 speed manuel, rwd. The Tourer S has a 220 HP, auto. Man, what I can do with a Chaser is mind boggeling.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts

Can't forget the 280hp 1JZ older-school Chasers too.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
repinS said:
I'd swear the Cressida name died after 1992 when it... died. I've never known otherwise :confused:

no it didn't. The NO it was never replaced with the avalon. In the middle east we got cressida's and avalon's. We got cressida's as far as 1997 (we had either a 94 or a 96 cressida..don't remember it right..as it was our company car..not our primary car). Our primary car was 91 wagon. No cressida name didn't die in 1992 - it was stopped being imported to N. America.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
pics! :confused:

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
xpeed said:
I know a company that can import you cars legally. Have the DMV check and give it a VIN number for it. Takes 2-3 months, but I think it'll be worth it. I mean, i've seen couple of skyline GT-Rs here in Southern California. Heck, I've even seen two R32 GT-Rs duking it out on the freeway.

There's a guy at school with a JDM Integra Type R, DC2. Right Hand, honda goodies. no sign of acura. If I had the money, I would import the Toyota Chaser Tourer V. Tourer V has the 280 HP JZX engine, 6 speed manuel, rwd. The Tourer S has a 220 HP, auto. Man, what I can do with a Chaser is mind boggeling.
The skylines had to go through a LOT of red tape to be legalized to be on the road here. This is why Motorex charges so much for the vehicles. They actually went through the lengthy @ss expensive process of getting them approved for our streets. You can get by with cars that already available here like the integra. This lets you skip a lot of the bull$hit but you can't just buy a chaser and go to the DMV for a vin. It needs to be crash tested and other U.S. specific qualifications must be met on the car before it is street legal. And if you are caught driving around a car that is not, it will get you in a ton of $hit and they will reduce your car to scrap anyway.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
repinS said:
I'll have to see (we never took pics of the company car..but our 91 station wagon is the same we got in states as 87-89). We had a house fire and lost all pictures....the car is still in the extended family..so i'll pass along the msg and when in receipt, i'll pm you...let's not hijack this thread. :)

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
pick up an import tuner mag from Jan - March. It has info about how to import cars. One advantage an importer has is customs knows very little about what's being imported, so a manufacturer letter can get you lucky enough to drive it from port. But its instant confiscation and destruction the minute a cop pulls over a non-conforming vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts