Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2000 4cyl automatic has a real slow leak in the radiator. I think if I pull the fans I'll find it. What has me puzzled is a very small amount of coolant collected on the bottom of the differential. I assume it must be comming from one or more hoses or connections from above as there is no cooling system in the differential itself correct ?
Also ....any known common weak points in Camry radiators ?
Thx

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
If your radiator is leaking, it is more than likely blowing back on the differential.

I'd do a pressure test to locate the leak. If you buy your own pressure tester, you will need adapters for the japanese sized cap (to check the cap) and neck (to check the radiator).

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
after your remove your fan, you can usually see red crystals forming where the leak is on the fins

if the leak isn't on the fins, then it doesn't matter where the leak really is, since the rad has to be replaced then

in general though, with the price of aftermarket rads these days, you may as well change it as part of maintenance anyway

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eye8Pussies said:
in general though, with the price of aftermarket rads these days, you may as well change it as part of maintenance anyway
Good advise !
I hear Nissen brand / after market is popular for foreign cars. Anyone used these ?
Opinions ?
thx

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
aftermarket rads are all fairly the same....just try to buy one that is advertised as oem spec and comes with a warrantee

and sorry, no experience with nissen

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up on this.

Leak(s) found. Follow up
Prior owner had GoodYear put new upper and lower radiator hoses on. I assume the idiots did not retighten the hose clamps when hot. Caused intermittent leaks that were hard to trace because of the fans. Retightened all 4 clamps and zero leaks now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
timebuilder said:
Was it the pressure test that found the leaks?
No
Process of elimination..sort of. I checked the hoses / clamps visually to begin with and they looked okay. That is to say I could not see coolant. Turns out the damn things were basically ....spitting ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts