Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is relevant in the US, but in Australia I just found out our Toyota Kluger's brakes are a direct bolt to the Camry (or Aurion).
It runs 328mm rotors and large twin piston calipers. This is for the 2007+ model Kluger only.
I managed to get the calipers and rotors for only $220 from a wrecker. I spent $100 getting the rotors cleaned up and slotted professionally and then painted them, but otherwise it's been dirt cheap.
I think your Highlander is the equivalent of our Kluger and might have the same brakes. I can't guarantee that but a quick glance at the US Toyota website shows the brakes and they look almost exactly the same so I'd say the chances they'd bolt up are very good.
Below are the new brakes bolted onto my Aurion.

·
Need For Speed
10,765 Posts
Yes, the Highlander is the US version of the Kluger. I would say it's a pretty good chance that the Highlander brakes could be used, as I know the rims do fit as well (with some tire adjustments!).

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
Very nice!!

Here is my BBK Supra TT Rotors and Gen 3 Twin Piston calipers. But they aren't direct bolt on (02 Camry). Need a custom made mounting bracket made.

·
Rey
402 Posts
I will love to have some red brembo brakes but I haven't them them yet on a camry :disappoin

·
Need For Speed
10,765 Posts
^There are some bolt on big brake kits for the Gen 6 out there, but I don't think they're Brembos. Still, brakes off the Highlander isn't a half bad idea. They have to be bigger to haul those giant rims :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Kluger/Highlander brakes are 328mm, the standard are 297mm. All are 28mm thick.

The gen3 upgrade can use either the 320mm RX330, Supra TT 323mm or the Highlander 328mm rotors depending on the type of bracket you get made. I was previously running the gen3 twin piston calipers with 320mm rotors using semi-track pads and the result was an extremely good braking package, however I put down most of this to the pad I used.
With the Kluger calipers I wasn't able to source the same brand of pads without a fair waiting so I went with some heavy duty street pads which are doing the job just fine but are won't hold up as well as the track pads.
In my opinion, having tried 3 versions of brake pads the Kluger / Highlander brakes are my favourite. They bolt straight on with no modifications, and the pedal feel is almost the same as stock except they don't give up anywhere near as quickly. I found the gen3 brakes to be very touchy and it was at times hard to modulate the proper amount of stopping power.
Not to mention as the gen3 calipers are so old now you'd be looking at a caliper rebuild as well, combined with the custom brackets the gen3 would be a more expensive upgrade in the end (cost me almost twice as much as the Kluger brakes did).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
They bolt straight on with no modifications, and the pedal feel is almost the same as stock except they don't give up anywhere near as quickly. I found the gen3 brakes to be very touchy and it was at times hard to modulate the proper amount of stopping power.
Not to mention as the gen3 calipers are so old now you'd be looking at a caliper rebuild as well, combined with the custom brackets the gen3 would be a more expensive upgrade in the end (cost me almost twice as much as the Kluger brakes did).
So the Kluger/Highlander brakes don't need custom brackets? Very intriguing... might buy a caliper bracket from a 2008 highlander and see if things match up.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
I like my Supra TT rotors and Gen 3 twin pistons i also have Stop Tech SS lines. tap the brakes and you're going through the windshield!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
^ if you didn't like the BBK i have, why bother doing this one? You'll get the same results.
because these would be bolt on if they fit and no modifications needed (calipers/brackets/rotors all properly sized with proper clearances). I was never comfortable with the custom brackets and I didn't like that I would have had to grind the caliper to fix the grinding noise on turns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main advantages of Highlander brakes over the BBK is the fact it's a direct bolt on and would likely work out cheaper.
Performance wise, if you were to run both with similar spec pads, I'd say the Highlander brakes would be slightly better than the BBK but not by alot.

As the Gen3 calipers use a smaller piston design, they can feel very responsive compared to the stock brakes giving you the impression they're doing a much better job. The Highlander feels very similar to stock so you might get the impression you haven't really improved the brakes by much.
I've taken my car for a few mountain runs though recently and in my opinion the Highlander brakes have greater potential than the gen3/BBK, but need the aftermarket to catch up (ie better brake pad options, better quality rotors etc)

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
Either route will be an improvement over stock. I track my car, and i love the response i get and the feel. I use Motul racing fluid and Stop Tech lines, which adds to the better response and feel. And no brake fade!

As far as cost, mine only cost 300 for everything (except the lines and fluid)

·
Rey
402 Posts

·
Banned
893 Posts
bought an entire caliper for $50... shipped out today! figured it's cheap enough to test fit and doesn't break the bank if it doesn't fit. Really hoping it does!
dude pleeeease let me know if that caliper fits cuz i'll order up a set like yesterday!

that top picture looks freakin awesome :naughty:

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Are the brakes between gen 6 Camry SE/LE, I4/V6 different? The list is only for V6 SE. I have more than 45,500 miles on my car, and my brake has only about 40-50% left. I start thinking about upgrading soon. However, I don't want to spend that much. I intend to get ATE PremiumOne Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS Street pads. Are they good? Better than OEM? I only care about stopping distance; dust is not my problem.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I have the ATE eliptical slotted rotors and just some cheap ceramic pads from tirerack and they're just fine for everyday use.. not noisy or anything and dust is minimal. I've had to hammer the brake two or three times and was really surprised how quickly it stops, but then again my car only weighs a bit over 3300 with me in it..

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much!!!
^that. whoever would spend that kinda money on a BBK for a camry has lost their marbles, especially if it won't be a gutted out track car with MUCH more power.

like punks said, his kit does really well because the weak links are fixed-- lines, fluid, larger rotors/better caliper. there's no need for a kit that costs almost 10x what he spent.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
agreed, I also have the ATE PremiumOne Slotted Rotors paired with Akebono pads both rear and front. It stops pretty good... i'd say definitely better than stock, but I also have stainless steel braided lines as well.

I want even better brakes though, you can never have enough braking power :D That Stoptech BBK is definitely way too expensive, and probably a little overkill for a stock camry.

caliper has been delivered! will test fit tomorrow while i'm redoing my wire harness for hid foglight retrofit... :naughty:

1 - 20 of 240 Posts
About this Discussion
239 Replies
60 Participants
teksmrt
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing