Toyota Nation Forum banner

221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
1,843 Posts
Just to update an old thread with my Gen 5 V6's big brake upgrade.

I scored a set of dual piston calipers, brackets, pads and rotors from the junkyard for less than $100. I got it from a 2005 Lexus ES330. It turns out that the pads/rotors were junk, so I ordered up some Akebono pads and Raybestoes coated rotors, installed them and painted the caliper while I was at it.

I must say, the brake feel is much more improved over the stock brakes, as soon as I touch the pedal I can feel the car slow down. High speed braking (especially with my heavier 17" Gen 2 Solara alloy rims) is much improved as well. With the extra unsprung mass compared to the 16" winter tires on Gen 1 Solara alloy wheels I had previously, the car feels more planted in the steering wheel now.

Here's a comparison of the pad and rotor size difference between the Gen 5 V6 and ES330:

I mixed green and aluminum-metallic-silver paint together to come up with a greenish metallic color for the calipers.

All said and done, the stock 15" alloy's won't clear these dual piston calipers, as an FYI to those Camry LE owners out there. If you want to keep 15" wheels, look to Gen 3.5 V6 dual piston calipers.

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
Just to update an old thread with my Gen 5 V6's big brake upgrade.

I scored a set of dual piston calipers, brackets, pads and rotors from the junkyard for less than $100. I got it from a 2005 Lexus ES330. It turns out that the pads/rotors were junk, so I ordered up some Akebono pads and Raybestoes coated rotors, installed them and painted the caliper while I was at it.

I must say, the brake feel is much more improved over the stock brakes, as soon as I touch the pedal I can feel the car slow down. High speed braking (especially with my heavier 17" Gen 2 Solara alloy rims) is much improved as well. With the extra unsprung mass compared to the 16" winter tires on Gen 1 Solara alloy wheels I had previously, the car feels more planted in the steering wheel now.

Here's a comparison of the pad and rotor size difference between the Gen 5 V6 and ES330:

I mixed green and aluminum-metallic-silver paint together to come up with a greenish metallic color for the calipers.

All said and done, the stock 15" alloy's won't clear these dual piston calipers, as an FYI to those Camry LE owners out there. If you want to keep 15" wheels, look to Gen 3.5 V6 dual piston calipers.
So for the ES330, (2004-2006), they came with dual piston calipers? I guess this is not as big as the highlander/RX/Sienna upgrade that requires 17", but this would fit 16" *most* stock Toyota wheels? Did you grab the back plate as well? The only reason preventing me from doing this is I want it to look as clean as stock...not much of a fan of having to bend the back plate.

I wonder if the Camry SE V6 from 2005-06 has the same dual piston calipers?

Kind of want to upgrade my front brakes now. Almost sure my 2004 XLE V6 has single piston design for front.

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
1,843 Posts
So for the ES330, (2004-2006), they came with dual piston calipers? I guess this is not as big as the highlander/RX/Sienna upgrade that requires 17", but this would fit 16" *most* stock Toyota wheels? Did you grab the back plate as well? The only reason preventing me from doing this is I want it to look as clean as stock...not much of a fan of having to bend the back plate.

I wonder if the Camry SE V6 from 2005-06 has the same dual piston calipers?

Kind of want to upgrade my front brakes now. Almost sure my 2004 XLE V6 has single piston design for front.
Yes the ES330 came with dual piston calipers but can fit inside 16" wheels (since 16" was the standard ES330 size, 17" were optional). I didn't have any issues with the back plate and the rotor.

Browsing through the RockAuto catalogue, the Gen 5 has some sort of a year split... the 04-06 ES330 rotors were used on the 02-04 Camry XLE models...but I don't think the Camry's had dual piston. You can cross reference the OEM numbers to be sure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So the 2008 Highlander Calipers and Rotors will fit a 2011 Camry v6 ? and is it hard to paint Calipers? my Camry is Grey and bright red calipers would look great. Also, I would need at least 17 inch rims for the upgrade to work?

As a side note...... Has anyone seen Carbon/Ceramic rotors available for Camry's yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Awesome write up and great input.
I'm getting the parts in steps to do the upgrade too. So far I have rotors, pads, and ss brake lines.
For those that have been buying the remanufactured calipers, are you also getting charged for the core?
If not, care to share where they're not charging for the core?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I started out with the cheap upgraded Highlander BBK for my Camry. This setup was heavy and I wanted something different.
Down the road, I got mounting brackets made and got the Acura RL 4 pot calipers to work with the Highlander rotors. I wanted to use 17'' wheels and they wouldn't clear with balance weights on the inside diameter of the wheel.

Currently, I'm using a different set of brackets to mount the Lexus LS430 4 pot calipers with the Camry rotors. They are the lightest setup of the three and will clear 17'' wheels.

Good thing about Toyota is that they use same mount points for different generation models so I can transfer to my next car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a '06 SE V6 and it has the stock (single) piston calipers on the front

I run my stock 17" 5 spokes in the summer, but I have a set of 16" alloys with winter tires I now use in the winter

Are there any brake upgrade options that would fit under my 16s?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've looked through all the pages but still am a little lost. I have a 2011 Camry SE, so highlander '08 would be an upgrade? Is it worth it? thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
check out junkyarddog.com. basically a network of junk yards... when you send in a request, they will contact you if they have the parts. I found oem ones from the same vehicle for $95 each using that website. cheapest i've found so far.

car-part.com is another good source of information. It's like junkyarddog.com but backwards. Instead of posting requests, you can just search the inventory of junkyards all over the world.

Currently, I'm using a different set of brackets to mount the Lexus LS430 4 pot calipers with the Camry rotors. They are the lightest setup of the three and will clear 17'' wheels.

Custom brackets, or something off some stock Toyota? And what year Camry rotors, if you don't mind? What pads with that?

----

Big thanks to the thread starter for making me aware of the Highlander rotor. If the Mustang Cobra discs I got don't have enough clearance, these might do the trick, for my BBK for a '73 Plymouth. (Which, yes, also uses a 5x4.5" wheel bolt pattern. :D ) The extra quarter inch of height between the hat and the rotor might be just what I need, if the Cobra discs won't let the caliper clear the wheel.

Pricing parts out on Rockauto, it looks like the plain LS400 caliper swap, if you keep the stock V6 Camry sized rotors, but replace them and the pads, works out to $313. The 2008 Highlander swap is $339. That's for all new or reman stuff, and not subtracting core charges because I dunno if I could find appropriate cores at the wreckers, so it's best if I plan to just pay the full cost. I think it's very probably worth the extra $26. Although, since it will likely require me to buy ~$800 in wheels and tires to go over the new Highlander brakes, that does add somewhat significantly to the total cost of ownership, there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a '06 SE V6 and it has the stock (single) piston calipers on the front

I run my stock 17" 5 spokes in the summer, but I have a set of 16" alloys with winter tires I now use in the winter

Are there any brake upgrade options that would fit under my 16s?
Highlander rotors and calipers will not fit in 16 inch rims. I tried.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've looked through all the pages but still am a little lost. I have a 2011 Camry SE, so highlander '08 would be an upgrade? Is it worth it? thanks!
Yes. From memory the stock rotor is 296 or 298mm and single piston caliper. The Highlander rotor is 330mm and dual piston caliper applies force over a larger area of the pad which is better. The 10% increade in diameter of the rotor sounds small but it increases the area by 158 square cm. That is quite a bit. The main change is not greater stopping power as your stock brakes can already lock up the wheels (tyre grip is the limiting factor except possibly at very high speeds) but the greater mass and area gives more heat capacity and larger cooling surface area, approx 630 square cm more ( 4x the increase in area for 1 circle as rotor cools on 2 outside faces and 2 inside where its vented).

I did buy cheap rotors and pads when I swapped from stock the Highlander (or Kluger here in Aus) I flushed fluid front and back, car is lowered and on 245/45/18 tyres and the braking feel was pretty much the same as stock. I think - no evidence here - that I fealt a good improvement in stopping when I swapped worn out stock 215/60/16 wheel tyre to new 245/45/18 wheel tyre. That was a much bigger change to the whole car feel than the brake swap. However, I am happy with it and would do again.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Custom brackets, or something off some stock Toyota? And what year Camry rotors, if you don't mind? What pads with that?

Custom machined aluminum brackets. I'm using 6th gen Camry rotors and OEM lexus LS430 pads

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which year LS430, please?

Also, how long have you been running those aluminum brackets, and have you inspected them since you did the install? I'm not sure I'd trust aluminum in that environment. 6061 has lost about half of it's structural strength by the time it hits 600 F. Which sounds like a lot, but brakes get hot. I dunno, maybe it's not a concern, but my gut instinct would have been to use steel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Down the road, I got mounting brackets made and got the Acura RL 4 pot calipers to work with the Highlander rotors. I wanted to use 17'' wheels and they wouldn't clear with balance weights on the inside diameter of the wheel.

Did you try the same LS430 rotors, too? Looking at Rockauto, they are 12.4 inches in diameter instead of 13 like the highlander, but as opposed to the 10.75 inches of the Camry rotor. I should think that they would still have fit under 17s, and you'd obviously get that much more lever arm on your braking.

Sorry for asking all these questions, but, it does seem like if the LS430 setup transferred directly, that might make a good "Slightly-Less-Big Brake Kit" that might have a better chance of clearing a larger portion of wheels. :D

ETA: Examining the LS430 calipers, I see that they are direct mount units, as opposed to floating units in separate brackets. I don't know if that means they won't directly bolt on (although I suspect you know, and the answer is "no") to the steering knuckles, but that could make the project a lot harder. Anything that requires custom machining puts things out of most people's reach.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Which year LS430, please?

Also, how long have you been running those aluminum brackets, and have you inspected them since you did the install? I'm not sure I'd trust aluminum in that environment. 6061 has lost about half of it's structural strength by the time it hits 600 F. Which sounds like a lot, but brakes get hot. I dunno, maybe it's not a concern, but my gut instinct would have been to use steel.
01-06 LS430 uses same caliper. Monoblock 4 pistons caliper.

The brackets material is 7075 Aluminum. It is stronger than the softer 6061 Al. In fact, most BBK manufacturers use aluminum brackets as well.

I have been using these brackets for almost four years now and I checked up on them whenever I do my brakes.

Did you try the same LS430 rotors, too? Looking at Rockauto, they are 12.4 inches in diameter instead of 13 like the highlander, but as opposed to the 10.75 inches of the Camry rotor. I should think that they would still have fit under 17s, and you'd obviously get that much more lever arm on your braking.
The 6th gen Camry rotors are 11.65''. The LS430 came with 17s wheel so no problem with clearance with 12.4'' rotors but I wanted a light setup.

The calipers are not direct bolt on. Brackets had to be made in order to mount them to the
knuckles.​

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd like to add my thanks to Viper for posting this years ago. My wife's 1999 Solara has 327,000 miles on it and I just bolted this upgrade straight on.

I would like to upgrade the rears as well, but the IS350 upgrade isn't as well documented. I went to the parts store and I saw that the IS350 caliper and bracket do not bolt on. If the bracket was removed, I believe the caliper WOULD then bolt on, but it would be too close to use the larger IS350 rotor. I therefore assume that the people on this thread meant that the backing plate would need to be used and then the rotor, caliper and bracket would then bolt on, which would explain why there was discussion about changing the parking brake. I had planned to check this out, but there are no IS350s in any junkyards near me and it appears that many junkyards actually remove all brake parts and send them out to be refurbed. I do plan to continue looking into this, but for now I just needed to do the rears so I bought stock Solara parts.

If anyone completes the rear upgrade, I would very much appreciate more information on exactly how it was done.

Thank you.

ozone

·
Registered
64 Posts
First off, thanks to everyone who has posted very useful and helpful information regarding this upgrade.

After reading through all the posts, I finally decided to do the upgrade. It truly makes a difference.

I picked up a set of 08 Highlander calipers/brackets from a local auto dismantler for 100. Next up I bought Centric rotors, Centric pads, and ss braided lines.
The setup was straight forward and easy.
Remove all old and install all new in the same manner. I did have to slightly push back the bottom backing plate to prevent it from touching the rotor. After all is put back together, opened the bleed and let gravity fill the ss line and caliper. Once completed, turned on the engine and bled the air out of the system, there was plenty of air to get out. Having clear tubing connected to a bottle allowed to see all the bubbles coming out. Make sure to keep an eye on the reservoir level. Once I saw no more bubbles, i bled the system until i noticed cleaner fluid coming out and kept refilling the reservoir with new. Perform test drive and be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone know if this fits the 2008 + Rav4s ?

UPDATE: 12/12/15

This Brake upgrade will NOT fit the 2006 - 2012 Rav4s
I can confirm this. I had just picked up a junkyard set of 2015 Sienna front calipers and rotor - the dual piston caliper doesn't bolt up to a 2006-2017 Rav4, 2011-2016 Scion TC, 2009-2013 Matrix or anything else that shares the Rav4 front spindles. Anyone want to buy a set from me? lol

This dual piston caliper is found on the following vehicles:

2008-2018 Toyota Highlander
2011-2018 Toyota Sienna
2010-2015 Lexus RX350
2018 Lexus NX200T
2010-2015 Lexus RX350
2010-2015 Lexus RX450h

221 - 240 of 240 Posts
About this Discussion
239 Replies
60 Participants
teksmrt
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing