Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
need to stop

Glad I saw this thread as I'm looking to help my 09 V6 SE stop better. So is it definite that I could use either the 2009 - 2010 Highlander V6 calipers with rotors? Would having the rear stock throw the braking off? I plan to upgrade the rotors and pads on the rear though.

·
2007 Camry SE V6
790 Posts
Glad I saw this thread as I'm looking to help my 09 V6 SE stop better. So is it definite that I could use either the 2009 - 2010 Highlander V6 calipers with rotors? Would having the rear stock throw the braking off? I plan to upgrade the rotors and pads on the rear though.
I upgraded to the front Highlander calipers and pads a few months ago and left the rears stock. Honestly, the improvement is not dramatic, but it is noticeable. The brakes are a bit more responsive and would be worth it you have bigger wheels (to help offset some of the reduced braking performance resulting from the larger wheels). The brakes do not feel unbalanced or anything. The improvement is fairly subtle and no one else that has driven my car noticed anything dramatically different than stock.

Update 3/10/2013: After a discussion with a fellow forum member, he made me aware that I screwed up and ordered/installed the 2007 Highlander (previous gen) front parts instead of the 2008. The difference calipers, rotors, etc. sizes are substantial so please ignore my review above since people much smarter than myself would have ordered the 2008 parts and probably seen a much bigger performance improvement... :(

While I have no experience with this myself, I've heard that getting steel-braided brake lines and stuff can sometimes provide a significant improvement in braking performance. Can anyone corroborate this information? Does anything know if anyone makes the Gen 6 Camry upgraded brake lines?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I upgraded to the front Highlander calipers and pads a few months ago and left the rears stock. Honestly, the improvement is not dramatic, but it is noticeable. The brakes are a bit more responsive and would be worth it you have bigger wheels (to help offset some of the reduced braking performance resulting from the larger wheels). The brakes do not feel unbalanced or anything. The improvement is fairly subtle and no one else that has driven my car noticed anything dramatically different than stock.

While I have no experience with this myself, I've heard that getting steel-braided brake lines and stuff can sometimes provide a significant improvement in braking performance also. Can anyone corroborate this information? Does anything know if anyone makes the Gen 6 Camry upgraded brake lines?
I think this should answer your question:
http://www.technafitstore.com/TOYOTA-BRAKE-LINE-KIT-p/toy-1028.htm

I was looking into SST lines about 2 years ago and heard about Techna-Fit on the forum. Don't know if there are other manufacturers that make lines for our cars.

Just checked and saw that Stop Tech makes some too. The question here is..... does the Camry stainless lines bolt up to the highlander calipers with no problem???

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
I ran the OEM rubber lines for 8 months after my Supra BBK was put on... I switch to StopTech SS lines and Motul racing fluid...and there was a big improvement..especially on the track.

·
Modder
175 Posts
@Punks, I perused this thread and idk if you mentioned it or not, but where did you get the custom brackets for your brake setup? Were they a one off thing from a local shop or can you actually buy them someplace? And how much coin would I likely have to shell out for such an item.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
They're not being made anymore. I bought them off a user here that was parting out his Gen 3. The Highlander brakes are direct bolt on though, and the calipers fit fine without the brackets.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
No to 15's Smallest rim you can run is 17.

As far as the Caliper, I am pretty sure they do, but read through the thread to make sure... I don't have these brakes so I can't confirm.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts
I had 17's and they fit fine.. they were TSW's.

The rims in my sig are 19's... but they are off the car and my new 18's arrive tomorrow.

·
Goes Against The Grain
18,082 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,238 Posts
Both of my 17's fit fine. Both my aftermarket set as well as the OEM's. It;s all about the spoke design, so I am pretty sure any somewhat current 17's from Toyota will work.

81 - 100 of 240 Posts
About this Discussion
239 Replies
60 Participants
teksmrt
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing