Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will need caliper's brackets, calipers, rotors and brake pads.

Also correct me if I am wrong, all of these brakes are essentially the same but will it fit our cars.
HIGHLANDER 2008 - 2011
LEXUS RX350 2010 - 2011
LEXUS RX450H 2010 - 2011
SIENNA 2011 - 2011
Correct.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So i ordered all these parts for my 2011 camry. Quick question how do i bleed the brake system? someone was telling me its not possible for me to do myself that i have to go to the dealer. Is this true?

·
day dreamer
78 Posts
I've been seriously considering doing this upgrade for my 2011 SE v6 Camry but I can't help but wonder since no one seems to have mentioned it, does this make a huge difference for the v6 models?

I googled my rotor size and it came up with 294mm but I'm not certain if that's correct since no one seems to specify if I'm v6 or i4. Would 35mm more rotor make a world of a difference?

Also, am I running single pistons on the OEM calipers or dual? I looked up some replacement parts and its shown a dual piston setup however they may be wrong. I wish I could just take apart my car right now and see for myself but I'm still recovering from surgery :\

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've been seriously considering doing this upgrade for my 2011 SE v6 Camry but I can't help but wonder since no one seems to have mentioned it, does this make a huge difference for the v6 models?

I googled my rotor size and it came up with 294mm but I'm not certain if that's correct since no one seems to specify if I'm v6 or i4. Would 35mm more rotor make a world of a difference?

Also, am I running single pistons on the OEM calipers or dual? I looked up some replacement parts and its shown a dual piston setup however they may be wrong. I wish I could just take apart my car right now and see for myself but I'm still recovering from surgery :\
The v6 models are heavier and plus the 17'' SE rims are not exactly light weights so if anything you should feel more of a different than those with the four cylinders.

The 294mm diameter rotor are for all model on the GEN 6.5. Also the calipers are single piston.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To those that have done the swap, any useage/wear updates? Any issues with the master cyclinder? How's the pedal feel?

Anything else?

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
I have a Gen 6 and got speed bleeders and did it myself in twenty minutes. How is the new system a hassle?
The gen 6.5 has a electronically controlled brake actuator near the pedal. From what i hear for people that did it, you can bleed them but if air gets into the line or something else happens, you will no longer get the same brake feel and have to take it to the dealer ship for them to use the scan tool to bleed it properly. It even states that in my repair/service manual that i bought. If anyone has a gen 6.5 and bleeds their brakes, let me know how it goes since im looking to change out my lines to stainless steel ones but dont want to pay the dealership to bleed them.

I believe this is just for the Gen 6.5 camry's, but here is proof. I dont really understand it either, if i just switch out brake lines and bleed it normally keep and extra set of eyes on the resovior and make sure it doesnt drop to low, i dont see why you would need the scan tool to bleed from the actuator if no air got in the line. Maybe there is something else im not understanding?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Anyone? Getting some wobble in the rotors under heavy breaking... Thinking of doing the upgrade.
Yep. Car only has about 26K miles on it. Bought it with 10K miles. For me it seems to be during consistent hard breaking *from high speeds. I'm kind of weary about hard breaking from high speeds in the car. Been definitely wanting a BBK but, they're so expensive so this mod with the Highlander calipers and rotors is something I definitely plan to do next year. Would do it this year but, just orderd UR rear sway bar, UR rear lower side bars, and Moog front and rear end links.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys I just completed this mod two days ago, but I haven't had a chance to really test them out. Its been raining hard so I'm taking it easy for now! I will give you my full impressions in a day or so

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys I just completed this mod two days ago, but I haven't had a chance to really test them out. Its been raining hard so I'm taking it easy for now! I will give you my full impressions in a day or so
Cool. Definitely looking to get more feedback on this so I can plan this upgrade for next year.

·
Premium Member
11,238 Posts
I've had mine for like 20k miles on my '96 Camry. No issues at all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cool. Definitely looking to get more feedback on this so I can plan this upgrade for next year.

So, had this BBK for a few weeks now and I must say I like it!! Stopping power has improved, although not dramatically. Although after a few rounds of hard braking is where this upgrade really shines! I used to get brake fade very quickly in the stock setup, but with these I can pound on them over and over and still feel confident I can stop quickly. To me that was the biggest complaint I had with the OEM brake setup- it was the brakes fading quickly, and not so much the lack of raw stopping power (If thats what you really want I believe a wider set of high performance tires would improve that)

Only thing I noticed that I didnt like was that although the brake pedal feels mostly the same after this upgrade, it seems as if you have to press the brake pedal down slightly harder and further than before when you want to come to a complete stop. Is it because it now needs more brake fluid to be pushed into the larger piston caliper? Or maybe I still have air trapped inside brake system? Not sure...

Anyway its a great upgrade IMO. Easy bolt on install, and cheap price compared to the BBK kits that are sold for our car. I still cant believe that Toyota put the same exact brake setup in the camry V6 SE as the 4 cyl camry LE. Jeez Toyota....

·
Premium Member
11,238 Posts
^ I had the same complaint (and only complaint) about the upgrade. The brake pedal feel. After a while you just get used to it like everything else and don;t notice it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
to everyone that did this upgrade, I was wondering about the SS brake lines. I was planning on ordering a set from Technafit for the camry, but i am wondering if the banjo bolt adapters fit for the highlanders? Are the lines for the camry the same as the highlanders?

·
Premium Member
11,238 Posts
I;m using the same lines as I had on with the stock brakes. So all is good.

141 - 160 of 240 Posts
About this Discussion
239 Replies
60 Participants
teksmrt
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing