Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Wagon
Two of the handles were broken. One looked like it was replaced before. Different color.
I ordered a set of four on ebay from china. Way cheaper than getting two from the dealer.
I guess you get what you pay for.
They looked good until I tried to install them.
The trim around the handles didn't fit. Had to file the lock and lever to clear.
The whole thing was to high to fit the trim on when the panel was on. Had to modify the mounting holes to lower then so trim would go in.
Lots of work to make them fit. They do work, and look good.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I bought two inside door handles from eBay, two different sellers. On handle from Taiwan and one from China. Color differences between my original and the new ones, none matched the others but the color differences were minor.
The China handle was actually the better of the two. Went over them trimming casting flash to insure smooth operation. Lubed the metal pins with vaseline and used hair dryer to run it down into the plastic parts. Then installed them.
They fit OK and operate satisfactorily.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
I've experienced aftermarket outside handles.

The aftermarket handles that you can buy (Depo) ones are made to fit well, but the quality of the plastic is lacking. Feels cheap and not solid like OEM, works like OEM though.

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
957 Posts
I guess you get what you pay for. They looked good until I tried to install them. The trim around the handles didn't fit. Had to file the lock and lever to clear. The whole thing was to high to fit the trim on when the panel was on. Had to modify the mounting holes to lower then so trim would go in. Lots of work to make them fit. They do work, and look good.
if i didn't know any better, i would have thought that you plagiarized my amazon review on the gen4.5 interior door handle trim. this is exactly the same that happened to me, down to the t. i was a little pissed at first, since there were a number of reviews of "great fit", "just like oem"....

if you have the time to sand or some quick dremeling, this is for you.
if you expect plug and play with OEM factory fit, you are playing the lotto.

for the price i paid, about 1/5 the cost of OEM, i will make it work.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
I've used Depo Avalon outside handles for the Gen1. It worked okay but it feels really cheap. Filament was pretty good though, but cheap cheap cheap!

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
957 Posts
I've used Depo Avalon outside handles for the Gen1. It worked okay but it feels really cheap. Filament was pretty good though, but cheap cheap cheap!
for some reason when i read your post about your avalon, it reminded me a few years ago i had a 95 chevy b-body. everything on the exterior of the car was metal except the bumpers and grill. there were no such thing as frozen door handles snapping or cracking like our toyotas.

but the interior of the car was made of paper-mache, especially the door cards. if you pull the door closed the wrong way, such as using regular door closing strength, you will crack one of the door card mounting points. once you crack enough card card mounts, the door card is finished. it got so bad that my driver door card was only hanging in the car due to the window sill ledge it was wedged up on. a buddy of mine completely stripped all 4 door cards in his b-body since they were all falling apart anyway.

that said, ill take the cheap crap that is ill fitting and available to us on our camrys over no aftermarket support over other some cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.