Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Piss Exellence
89 Pickup
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well first of all im new on here. but anyway does anyone know how to get power out of the 3vze really cheap? im tight on money and need a lil more nuts out of it

motor recently got a new timing belt, new head gaskets, plug wires, the injectors/inside of the motor got completely cleaned out(including the 20 years of sludge in the oil pan). getting plugs and an airfilter today

·
Registered
151 Posts
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go???

Seriously, You will spend an assload of cash trying to make the 3.0 perform. It is much cheaper and more reliable to swap something else in from the get go.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I hope your replaced the PCV valve while you had everything apart.

If there was a cost effective way to get more power out of the engine then everyone would be doing it. Had you used the search function you'd have found out there isn't. Headers are available but they're not cheap. A 2 1/4" exhaust system will give you a modest boost in performance, but don't expect too much from it. The easiest way to get a little more out of the engine is to bump up the timing. As to how much that depends on if you want to always run premium or not.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
there's a reason we nick-named the 3VeZeE the "3.slo" they are good for crawlin' and haulin', but will never be a "performance" orientated powerplant. best way to get performance is a 3.4 conversion. best bang for your buck if you wanna stay "toyota"

This is my opinion, yours may and can vary. :)

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Yep: trade it for a 3.4.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
A 3.4 conversion does give more power, and better mileage, and is more reliable, but you mentioned $$ is tight and the 3.4 swap is anything but cheap.

As others mentioned, the 3.0 is a dog - not much power there to grab, but there's a little. Best single mod is headers, which get rid of the moronic crossover pipe that dumps RH exhaust into LH manifold - going exactly opposite to the LH flow. That causes #6 cyl to overheat, and is most common location for head gasket failure. Also, headers will free up some power. Best two are LC Engineering and Doug Thorley ceramic coated. The latter can be had with the collector pipes from Summit Racing for a good price.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DTE-505C&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Replace cat with a direct fit Magnaflow, available on ebay for 95 shipped. Usually gives only a couple hp, but mostly saves you from having the stock one ripped off (most commonly stolen cat of all vehicles - the aftermarkets have less precious metals and are rarely stolen). If your current cat is partly clogged, replacing it with a Magnaflow will of course give a more significant power increase.

Replace the very restrictive muffler with a performance cat back exhaust. With headers, you may need to use 2 1/2" diameter cat & cat-back. 2 1/4" is the optimal diameter from the cat back with the stock manifolds. Bigger or smaller will both have more backpressure. Borla "Turbo" muffler is the best for power, imo - my highway mileage went from 20 to 24 mpg with a Borla cat-back alone, and a VERY noticeable jump in power. It's made of a very high grade stainless steel and mine is still rust-free after 13 years.

If you can't afford headers, at least buy a Borla 40652 2 1/4" Turbo muffler
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOR-40652
and have a muffler shop fab 2 1/4" pipes from cat to muffler, and from muffler back. (Summit also sells a 5' Borla 2 1/4" stainless steel pipe for use in custom fab, but the stainless steel is not as good quality as used in the muffler - my pipes are rusting a bit.)

Borla makes several different models and sizes/shapes of mufflers - the one I linked to is the one they used in the custom cat-back system designed for the 3VZE trucks (they don't sell that custom system any more :sosad: ) and it works great on my truck. Nice low, resonant sound, but not real loud (if that's important to you).

You can add a stock direct-fit Magnaflow cat later, when you can afford it (so make sure shop uses a bolt up flange in back of cat instead of welding that joint.)

I don't recommend the K&N Filtercharger intake - overpriced and gave me ZERO power. What that means is that there is essentially no power to be had from the intake, since the K&N does have a very smooth air pipe and a very high flow filter.

Still, many folks seem to like the very cheap "ISR mod" which uses the stock air box & toyota filters, but replaces the air hose - search for info over on yotatech. Don't expect any noticeable power increase from it, though.

When the heads were being done, the machine shop could have installed oversized valves - that would have helped some, especially if you had your throttle body bored out by Downey or LC Engineering, but no use having the TB done without the valves.

Pull the air hose off and check the throttle plate in the TB - if dirty, clean the TB. Use only throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner, and make sure none gets on the tps. Search forum for info on cleaning the throttle body.

Leave ignition as it is - PLENTY of juice coming from it if you use all Denso components, including the wires and the recommended K16R-U plugs.

Make sure your ECT, TPS, VAFM and O2 sensors are all working perfectly - tests for them in factory manual. If you don't have one, google 1993 toyota pickup service manual. If O2 sensor has over 90 miles, replace it with a Denso, or, since $$ is tight, an NGK (NTK) - available at sparkplugs.com for a good price. Never use Bosch anything on your truck if you want it to run right.

Burn 87 octane - it burns at the right speed - higher octane burns slower. Make certain you never mix your antifreeze with a different type - this means total and complete flushing when changing, and never mix with tap water. Both errors will destroy the corrosion protection of incoming coolant and that will lead to the sealing rings in the head gasket rusting, which will lead to you having to do the gaskets again. Make sure you use a 180 degree thermostat - best is the Toyota one - and make sure you never run low on coolant and change it every two years.

Set your base timing with TE1 and E1 jumped in the check connector to 12 degrees BTDC instead of the factory spec 10. 12 degrees is a better all-around setting for this motor - gives a bit better throttle response and low end torque, but set it back to 10 degrees when you have an emissions test - 10 deg gives slightly better readings. It will still run fine on 87 octane at 12 deg. A few people run 14 degrees advance, and some of them claim it still runs okay on 87 and gives a bit more power. You might experiment with that, but if you do, I would recommend burning 89 octane since if the knock sensor picks up pinging, the computer will retard the ignition anyway, canceling what you're trying to accomplish by advancing the timing.

The difference between octanes is that the higher ones are more resistant to detonation (spontaneously igniting - also called pinging), and the higher octane also burns slower and more coolly. Engines are designed with a specific octane fuel in mind so that combustion develops maximum pressure at the ideal location (15-17 degrees after top dead center). If you advance the timing much without increasing octane, maximum pressure is developed too early. If you burn higher octane without advancing the timing, your peak pressure is happening a little too late. (You don't see a loss in power in that case because higher octane fuel has a little more energy in it than does lower octane.)

So IMO if you're running 14 degrees timing, it's best to increase octane to 89 not only to avoid pinging but also to make sure maximum pressure still happens near 15-17 deg after TDC. Running 12 degrees of advance, the motor still seems to like 87 octane.

Use only GL-4 oil in the tranny - search for info on WHY and which oil to use on this forum.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

·
I Piss Exellence
89 Pickup
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah ive looked up everything and its just expensive. it was being more of a dog than normal but i changed the airfilter and got a lil more out of it. getting new plugs next. wanted a 22re but this was the best i could get in my price range. well thanks for the help guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts