Toyota Nation Forum banner

Check engine code 1780 after coolant flush

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  shet 
#1 ·
I got a check engine code 1780 after coolant flush on my Camry 2000 4 cyl (92,000 miles). R (Reverse indicator on dashboard) is illuiminated when the headlights are turned on especially when the brakes are hit. Otherwise it slowly dims out. Would anybodybe knowing the reason for this.

An internet search suggested that this code could be related to a malfunction with the park neutral position switch.Not sure if that is the reason.

#2 ·
I think I got the reason. Code 1780 stands for Neutral/Park safety switch fault and this switch is located close to the radiator drain plug/cock. So I guess some of the coolant might have spilled on the switch connectors therby causing a short in the switch.

#4 ·
Check the wires in the trunk right below the drivers side hinge. The wires that go up to the trunk mounted lights{back-ups} will break. Nothing to do with flush I'm guessing.
Thanks. A search for earlier posts for similar issues in this forums also indicates the same.

Also, for the past year or so, I had the rear lights faulty display illuminate on the dashboard (the extreme left one). I did not mention this earlier since I never suspected they were related.

I had put a electrical tape over the wires near the trunk a year back. But I guess the wires inside those have cracked probably though the outside tape is still intact.

#5 ·
An update. Problem resolved. Went to a nearby auto remote and alarm shop and got the wiring in the trunk repaired. $60 for labor (no soldering was done though but it was a neat job by them with just electrical tapes).

Thanks to all in the forum who helped. Otherwise I would wasted my time and money with the Park/Neutral safety switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.