Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 RAV4 (68,000 miles)

The other day while pulling into a parking stall, the Check Engine Light, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF lights appeared simultaneously. It was running fine, as usual.

I pulled the fault codes with an OBDII reader:

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

A quick Google search revealed that P0442 might be a defective gas cap. So I unscrewed it once and put it back on.

Then, by coincidence, I checked the air filter. I forgot that I replaced it recently. Anyway, I noticed that the gasket on the air filter wasn't molded properly, it wants to slip off on the right side. Could this explain the "leak"?

I reset the fault codes, and wouldn't you know it, the faults disappeared! Everything looks good now.

Should I follow-up on this problem, or just forget about it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
check all the wires are connection, does it happen after you change the air filter something probably came loose

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trying to help my neighbor with P0442 small evap leak.
She took her 2005 Rav4 to Toyota, they said it could be this or it could be that, both estimates were $600+ with no guarantee it would fix the problem. They just want to throw parts at it.
I don't have a Rav4 so I'm not sure where the charcoal canister and other hoses for the evap system are located. Where does this hose connect to the intake manifold?

I did search but didn't see any info that was helpful.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Trying to help my neighbor with P0442 small evap leak.
She took her 2005 Rav4 to Toyota, they said it could be this or it could be that, both estimates were $600+ with no guarantee it would fix the problem. They just want to throw parts at it.
I don't have a Rav4 so I'm not sure where the charcoal canister and other hoses for the evap system are located. Where does this hose connect to the intake manifold?

I did search but didn't see any info that was helpful.
Thanks in advance.
You should start your own thread for this instead of posting on someone else's.
Hard code to diagnose. Probably not evap hose as that would set a large leak, incorrect purge flow, or other such codes.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
2004 RAV4 (68,000 miles)

The other day while pulling into a parking stall, the Check Engine Light, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF lights appeared simultaneously. It was running fine, as usual.

I pulled the fault codes with an OBDII reader:

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

A quick Google search revealed that P0442 might be a defective gas cap. So I unscrewed it once and put it back on.

Then, by coincidence, I checked the air filter. I forgot that I replaced it recently. Anyway, I noticed that the gasket on the air filter wasn't molded properly, it wants to slip off on the right side. Could this explain the "leak"?
No, probably not>

I reset the fault codes, and wouldn't you know it, the faults disappeared! Everything looks good now.

Should I follow-up on this problem, or just forget about it?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts