Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
one of a kind
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering do u guys happen to know what causes the engine light to turn on.

today it just came on all of sudden, My engine still run fine with 166,000 miles, but some time it wont start, you have to turn it 3 times in order the start the engine. The first couple tries make a sqeeking noice(like the battery is dead), while the 3rd eventally start the car.

my dad told me that the check engine light is a warning to you that the computer chip is not functioning well which my cause your car to suck alot of gas. But i dont know.

i also went to auto repair shop and they told me that it will cause me $70 to check it, which i thought its kinda high

·
Registered
10 Posts
pop ur bonnet open

than find the diagnostic box

get a paper clip

short out pins "TE1" and "E1"

put ur car into neutral, and turn the key into the "ON" position

Your check engine light will flash a few times, pause for about a second, and flash a few times agian..then pause for about 4 seconds, and then restart the cycle

count the flashes..Before the short pause, is the first digit, and before the long pause is the second.

Then report back with the error code :D

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
A complete description of what deeps said and the list of codes is posted in the generation 3 manual at the top of this forum. Download it and go read the codes. Report the code(s) back here and someone will be able to help you.

Mike

·
TN User
32 Posts
If you have a 96 or if the car is OBD-II you need a code reader, I think you can only flash the codes on older OBD cars. Check engine can mean a lot of things. Mainly emission problems.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
If your car is a 96 and you have the OBDII reader you can get the code pulled FOR FREE, at an Autozone or PepBoys.

There might not be anything wrong with your car. Sounds to me like its just time to change the 02 Sensor. It will give you the check engine light before it needs to be changed. As for your starting problem, it sounds to me like your starter is going out. My car did the exact same thing till I changed out the starter. Its not hard to change at all. 20 minutes of your life is all it needs.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
odbII said:
If you have a 96 or if the car is OBD-II you need a code reader, I think you can only flash the codes on older OBD cars. Check engine can mean a lot of things. Mainly emission problems.

You still can. :) Thats how I fixed the SRS system in my '96 Camry.

As Grid said, if it's a '96 Autozone does it for free. If it takes you that long to get the car started, my guess is #1: Water in gas, or #2, something needs to be adjusted ont he Throttle Body. But yea, many many other things cause be causing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts