Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL!!!

My son has a 2000 Celica GT with 89,000+ miles on it.

Recently, the 'Check Engine Light' came on. He took the car to a Toyota dealer in Glen Burnie, MD, where they tested the car and said that the 'Mass Air Flow Meter' was defective.
They ordered the part, and told him in the interim, he could safely drive the car.
Well. . . the next day the part came in, my son took the car in, the part was replaced, and the daggone light wouldn't go out!!!
My son paid the nearly $200.00 for this part + installation.

The dealership tested the car again, and they then told him that the catalytic converter was bad. The reason, they said, was because he drove the car (a total of 83 miles to & from work) "With a rich fuel mixture."

The dealership now wants him to pay $1,400+ for a catalytic converter!!!

After my son went 'ballistic' over this revelation, the Service Manager told him that he would 'speak with the Regional Manager of Service' or some such B.S.
According to my son, this 'Regional Manager' is 'willing' to subtract $500.00 from the total bill. (Oh whoopie.)

Fast forward. . . .
We have spoken to Toyota U.S.A. about this, the 'Customer Satisfaction Manager' at this dealer in Glen Burnie (and she has not returned my phone calls), and also a technician in Annapolis, MD, at a Toyota Dealership.
It appears that NOTHING is wrong with the catalytic converter, after testing again. . . Twice.
The dealership in Glen Burnie STILL claims that the catalytic converter is bad.
Strange. . . . the technician in Annapolis, MD disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes and lo and behold, the 'check engine light' has gone, and has not returned!!!

Toyota owners beware!!! Know your dealership / technician / mechanic!!!!

This dealership (in Glen Burnie) will NOT EVER get another dime from me, or my son.
IF this message can help ONE other individual, I have spent my time wisely.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
I NEVER EVER take our cars to the dealership, they will claim half the car is messed up and charge you like you were buying a new one.

·
Always Bored
1994 Celica GTS
267 Posts
always just disconnect your battery for a minute by your self and see if it goes out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
When my 00 MAF went bad I could un-hook batt and it would reset but returned later. (usually after acceleration or hills)

The dealership charges 1 hour for diagnostics and also 1.5 hours to change a part that is in plain site with the hood up !!!

I like the mechanic that they have, I dont like their policy.

A little bit wiser now.

CW

·
Registered
217 Posts
The dealerships are known for ripping people off. I went to get my 5k service done last year on my '04 corolla and they charged my $165 for oil and filter + labor. If I have known they were gonna charge me this much I woul've done the job myself. The only thing is I was in Vegas that weekend so they car was in the shop. After that I've being doing my oil changes.
The mechanic or the technician who told you it was the problem with your cats (catilitic converter) is an idiot and never shoul've became a mechanic. The cat has absolutely nothing to do with what gas you put in your car, all it does it filters the CO2 coming out of the engine to reduce air pollution.
I also had my check engine light come on after I put in my short ram air intake (with a place for the air sensor), all I did was unplug the battery for about 30 min to an hour and everything was fine. What happenes is that the ECU does not know that you replaced the air sensor, so it usually needs to be reset to insure that it runs the test of the car next time you turn it on.
BTW it should be done, when you install/ replace any engine parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts