Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light in my 2000 echo went on a couple of months ago. I took the car to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he said that it had an exhaust system problem. He suggested that it might be the o2 sensor but said that it was not an immediate problem. A couple of weeks ago the problem got worse-- my car started stalling(sp) briefly at stop signs and refusing to accelerate on hills. I took it to another mechanic and had both 02 sensors changed. However, the problem continues and the check engine light is still on. The last mechanic I took it to said that it might be the MAPS sensor. Has anyone had a simular problem with their echo, if so what was the problem?

·
Registered
238 Posts
y dont you find out what the check engine light code is..

go to this post i put up...the list of codes is for a 1994 paseo...so it won't apply to your car. but once you find out what the codes is(example: 4 blinks -pause- 3 blinks) then maybe you could walk into a toyota dealership and ask the mechanic very nicely if he could help you out and tell you wht the codes are.

heres the link

http://www.paseopimp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11459

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already went to a mechanic --- the problem is that the code that the computer is giving could be any number of issues with the exhaust system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
check your cat sensors, maybe they are dirty or loosen...you can disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 5 minutes then put it back again, start the engine and voila! no check light.

p.s. newbie here...;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
the previous owner of my echo had a fuel pump go out. it cost him around 500 to do the pump and some other smaller things

·
Registered
482 Posts
nikkiw/echo said:
I already went to a mechanic --- the problem is that the code that the computer is giving could be any number of issues with the exhaust system.
you need a better mechanic!

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
109 Posts
Get the code read at a local autozone for free. Then start reasearching from there. Blindly changing components and sensors is a waste of money and time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts