Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
F'ing 3sgte swap ARGH!!!!
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

on my drive from daytona to berkeley, my engine check light came on and when i was in berkeley, i took it in to the toyota service center and they charged me $45 to check the problem and later they told me that the light ws due to some mapping shiit problem, and they fixed it, less than 5 days after the problem has been solved, the light came up again.... :mad:

anyone knows how i can decipher the problem myself, without any readers or tools of such, or shd i just bring it back to the service center and yell at them...

my baby is a 96 celica

·
Registered
27 Posts
my car does the same thing ..... but i didnlt pay $45 to fix i just took the battery cable off the battery and left it off for 20 seconds that tells the computer to reset its self and gets rid of the light ...but this is only a temporary solution.....but mine hasn't come on for about 3 months now

·
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting, thanx for the tip...

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
on the ST185 the diagnostics bridge Te1 and e1

then go to the cabin and turn key to ON

watch the flash of the engine managment light

blink-blink-blink - - - - - blink-blink-blink-blink

is error 34

this is a crude way of reading ECU error codes stored within

note them ALL as stuff like the map sensor, knock sensor, fuel, and even the temp gauge is monitored

then remove the 15 amp fuse from the engine bay ECU fuse box count to 20 then replace(same as taking earth off but keeps clock etc)

Check engine light procedure and codes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article URL: http://www.gtfour.com/default.asp?article=AAAALS
Description: The ECU detects malfunctions or abnormalities in the sensor network and lights a check engine warning light on the Instrument panel. At the same time the trouble is identified and a diagnostic code is recorded by the ECU.
Keywords: ecu warning check engine light error code34
Category: Repairs - Engine/ECU
Submitted: By dblack on 7/12/2000 8:38:07 PM, Updated on 7/16/2000 7:52:27 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T O Y O T A C E L I C A G T - F O U R S E R V E R

Check engine light procedure and codes

The ECU detects malfunctions or abnormalities in the sensor network and lights a check engine warning light on the Instrument panel. At the same time the trouble is identified and a diagnostic code is recorded by the ECU. The diagnostic code can read by the number of blinks of the check engine warning light when terminals T and E1 are bridged within the diagnostics port.

Instructions for checking the ëCheck engine warning lightí

1. Locate the diagnostics socket in the engine , found on the right hand side of engine.
2. Bridge terminals TE1 and E1 with a piece of wire.
3. The "Check engine warning lightí on the dashboard will start to flash with any stored error codes
4 The number and consistency of the flashed indicates the error code.
Example : Error 24 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor fault

FLASHÖFLASHÖÖÖÖ.Ö.FLASHÖFLASHÖ.FLASHÖ.FLASH

Each number is separated by a pause. Therefore if the light flashes twice then pauses, then flashed four times , the code 24 is produced. The code is continuously repeated, and there may be more than one error code stored.

Once the fault is diagnosed and cured, it is a good idea to erase the errors codes from the ECU by disconnecting the Battery Negative cable.

CHECK ENGINE WARNING LIGHT ERROR CODES

Code System Description
11 ECU (+B) Momentary interruption in power to ECU
12 RPM Signal No NE or G signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked
13 RPM Signal No NE signal to ECU when engine speed is above 1000 rpm
14 Ignition Signal No IGF signal to ECU 8-11 times in succession
21 Oxygen Sensor
Detection of oxygen sensor deterioration

Heater circuit Open or short in oxygen sensor heater
22 Water Temp Signal Open or short in water temp. sensor signal (THW)
24 Intake Air Temp. Sensor Open or short in intake air temp. sensor signal (THA)
25 Air-fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction Oxygen sensor outputs a lean signal continuously for several seconds during air-fuel ratio correction. Open or short in oxygen sensor (OX)
26 Air-fuel Ratio Rich Malfunction Oxygen sensor outputs a rich signal continuously for several seconds during air-fuel ratio correction
31 Air-Flow Meter Signal Open circuit in VC signal or short circuit between VS and E2 when idle contacts are closed
32 Air-Flow Meter Signal Open circuit in E2 or short circuit between VC and VS
34 Turbo charging Pressure Signal Fuel cut-off due to high turbocharging pressure
35 Turbo charging Pressure Sensor Signal Open or short in turbocharging sensor pressure signal (PIM)
41 Throttle Position Sensor Signal Open or short in throttle position sensor signal (VTA)
42 Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal No SPD signal for 8 seconds when engine speed is between 2,500rpm and 6,000rpm and coolant temperature is below 80C except when racing the engine
43 Starter Signal No STA signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800rpm with vehicle not moving
51 Switch Signal No IDL signal or A/C signal to ECU, with check terminals TE1 and E1 shorted
52 Knock Sensor Signal Open or short in knock sensor signal
53 Knock Sensor Control Signal in ECU Knock control in ECU faulty
54 Intercooler (water/air) Intercooler pump problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watered down gasoline

Our car was fine until we moved out-of-state from an suburb to a hick town in the country.

When our "check engine" indicator kept lighting up, a mechanic replaced the oxygen sensor, but it kept happening.

The quick fix was to add "octane boost" solution to every full tank of gas. If we ever neglected to do so, the sensor would light up again. After pouring a bottle of STP Octane Boost into the gas tank, the "check engine" light would eventually turn off, usually by the next day.

Since we've moved back to the suburbs, we haven't been adding octane, but we no longer see the "check engine" indicator lighting up.

It seems obvious to me that the quality of gas in the one-horse-town gas station was sub par. I wouldn't be surprised if they were watering it down.

·
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GT4Thug - thanx for all the information...

student_mann - now that u mentioned tat... i tink my problem might be the same as urs.....

as i made my way back from west side to the east side... my check engine light never came on again.

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
we have opti max in the uk which is higher ron do yu have such stuff ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts