Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Gen 4 Camry
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a Silver Gen 6 and has about 50,000 miles on it. We do all the maintenance at Joe Meyers Toyota in Houston. We never miss one and always do them on time.

Today when we got out of church I turned on the engine and the "Check Engine" light came on!!! :confused:

Later we went to Barnes and Nobles to study and the light was still on. When we finished up and went home the light was gone.

We are baffled the car is still under warranty and she will take it in Monday morning.

This happened once when the car was brand new and she over-filled the gas tank (topped-off), but has never done it again since that embarrassing Toyota Dealer visit.:lol:

I hope everything is fine.

Any comments welcomed.

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
i believe thats the maintenance light, not the check engine.

howd the dealer find out that the light was from topping off?

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
never heard of topping off spitting out the check engine light. i always top off my car and it never has come on.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Another OP with incomplete 2nd hand info?.............

He/She might think it is under warranty..........

·
Registered
937 Posts
Jamming it full of gas can cause raw fuel to get into the evaporative system, which will probably cause a light. Had a customer with a corolla that would keep filling till it spilled out the side. :hammer: She didnt think anything was wrong with doing that. Took a while but it eventually choked up the evap system.

·
Registered
Gen 4 Camry
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the "Check Engine Light" not the "Maintenance Light" They are different colors/pictures. Just got out of the Toyota Dealer and the code they pulled puzzled everyone. They said they have never seen that code and that they would send it in to Toyota and call us in a few days.

On a much angrier note...

We took the car in a week ago because the rear brakes were squeaking. They looked at it and said everything was fine. We went to San Antonio and drove it. Today when they were looking into the code problem they said the back brakes were completely worn out!!! That is messed up how they lied and said everything was fine. Something terribel could have happened on the way to San Antonio.

I showed them the paperwork from the previous week and it showed where the Toyota guy said everything was fine on front and back.

Got the work done and complained to the manager. They said they would give a free oil change and tire rotation on next visit. This is such horrible service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts