Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 1999 Corolla after my mechanic checked it out. I drove 35 miles to and from my mechanic and it ran fine. Upon purchase and driving the vehicle home, the check engine light came on. The car was chugging and stalling. Showed misfiring on the computer and my mechanic replaced the wires and plugs and the car is running fine. 3 days later, the check engine light comes on again. The clock blinks on and off, it sometimes just blacks out, and when it is working, blinks on and off with the turn signals. Code shows "evaporative something" problem. My mechanic reset the check engine light and told me to drive the car a few days to see if the light reappears. The clock still blinks on its own and blinks with the turn signals. Otherwise, the car is still running well. Anyone ever experience this problem? Any technical service bulletins out on this? Any suggestions? Kind of depressing since I've only had the car for a week and was buying it based on Toyota reliability. I should have found this site and read some of the posts before purchasing. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you get this from a dealership? I would check out the lemon laws in your area. The only thing I can think of is do a complete computer reset by disconnecting your battery for about 3 minutes. This will cause the computer to completely reboot. I wouldn't let the guy who sold you the car get out of touch. Sounds a little funny to me. Might have something to do with the reason he was sellling a 2000 model!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rabinny,

Thanks for responding to my post. I got the car from a dealership but signed a "As is, no warranty" document. Before purchase of my car, I brought it to my mechanic to check the car out. Because of economics, we have purchased 3 used cars in the last 17 years and he has checked them all for us. The first two we have had no problems with.

Thanks for your suggestion about resetting the computer. If the check engine light reappears, I will disconnect the battery.

Should I disconnect the battery to see if the clock will operate correctly? Will resetting the computer reset the clock?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate the community shown by this forum to members.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, the clock will be reset. That's strange that a dealership made you sign an "as is" agreement. Used Toyota cars usually come with a very nice warranty on them. Sounds to me like they may have known that something was up with the car.

I would try the computer reset and see what happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For the computer test when it shows "error evaporative...." it means that there is a problem with the gas tank. Replace your gas cap it might not be sealing the gas tank properly. If the engine light still comes on then it might be your VCV selenoid that needs to be changed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Idk whats wrong with the clock. That could mean some electrical problem. Maybe. There might be problems with the wiring thats causing the clock to flake out, and maybe even causing the motor to flake out. If the car was chugging sounds like combustion problems. #1, I'd never go to a mechanic thats not a personal friend that you trust. You'd be surprised at how many mechanics say something is wrong that really isnt, or they have no clue what they're doing, and charge you for some bogus part that has nothing to do with the problem. Well the hint that you had a cylinder misfire might help. Was it one cylinder or all cylinders. One cylinder could be a bad spark wire, or something wrong with the valves or fuel injector nozzle clog. All of them would mean something else, like maybe some airflow problem, or a fuel delivery problem, or maybe incorrect timing. But these days the timing is all computerized and everything. If your car has an engine management computer, which it does, it can give a great deal of info on the problem. Do it yourself with a scan tool, or get a better mechanic. Or the car could be a peice of junk. But I believe everything can be fixed if you have the time, and sometimes the money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have disconnected the battery from the terminals and cleaned the posts. Reconnected the battery after 15 minutes to reset the computer.

The clock still blinks on and off, disapears sometimes, and blinks when the turn signals are on. So far, the check engine light has not come on, and the car is running fine mechanically.

If the check engine light comes on again, would it be OK to continue to disconnect the battery to reset the light, since mechanically, the car is running fine?

Also, does this blinking or the check engine light being on affect my car's ability to pass my state's emissions control test?

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jal4950 said:
If the check engine light comes on again, would it be OK to continue to disconnect the battery to reset the light, since mechanically, the car is running fine?
NO!!! Most likely its a broken sensor but if you just keep resetting the computer it could cauz damage down the line. If the sensor or what ever part that is broken can't communicate with the computer properly the engine won't work to its full potential.

If you really want to get it fixed fast and best bang for your buck then maybe you should take your car to Toyota. Yes they will charge you more then another mechanic but atleast the problem will be solved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
what is the code you are getting..........i got a toyota code book......may i can help if you tell me the error code you are getting when you scan the computer for problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ghost,

Thanks for offering to help me. I do not know the code as I brought the car to my mechanic.

He said the first code was for a spark plug misfire. He changed the plugs and wires.

The second code, which came several days later, delt with an evaporative something.

He has reset the computer and told me to drive the car awhile to see if the check engine light comes on again.

I am still experiencing the crazy clock blinking problem but the light has not reappeared and the car is running fine.

I want to thank all of you for responding to my question. This is the first time I have ever posted here and I really appreciate your willingness to help me with my problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
when i purchased my car i had a check engine problem......i didn't have a blinking clock or anything........my code was po171.....which many mechanics thought was a falulty injector, oxygen sensor.......I got the mass air flow center replaced.....it fixed the light, misfiring and stalling.......get that checked.......unfortunaltely the part if really expensive........but give that a shoot........cost me $360.00 cdn......for part and installation at toyota......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone who looked at my post and sent in replies to me.

For no reason, my clock is working fine now and does not flash when I turn on the turn signals nor disapear.

This has lasted for a week now, so I'm hoping this is permanent.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts