Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a gen 4 camry w/I4 engine what should i do when the check engine light is on???? is the car stil safe to drive around?? do i really have to bring it back to dealer to check the problem???? any DIY steps i can do find out the problem??

Thank You

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,990 Posts
Yes it is still safe to drive the car. The check engine light is usually emmissions related, or an electronic sensor.

Half the time the light comes on because the gas cap is loose. Did you recently buy gas? If so, tighten the cap and wait a few days and it might go off.

If that doesn't work, or you haven't filled up lately, go to Autozone- they will check the code for no charge. But don't be cheap, buy something while you are there, even if it is something as small as an air freshener. I know someone who works at one, and it is so annoying when someone comes in for a code reading, and then doesn't even buy something.

Whatever you do, if the light doesn't go out by itself, have the code checked. It probably is something small like a sensor, but if you don't take care of it, or fix it, it could lead to something more serious.

PS: you can find more info on this subject by using the little blinking "search" button at the top of most ToyotaNation webpages.

Good luck,
-Robert

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Its probably your O2 sensor. It probably needs to be replaced. Does your car have around 80k miles?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts