Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my 2005 Tacoma SR5 4x4 a few days ago and noticed the amber-colored engine symbol under the tachometer gauge was on. Now, whenever the vehicle is running, the symbol is on. The engine runs fine--no different than normal.

A friend mentioned that my loose fuel cap might be causing the oxygen sensor to trip the alert.

If I follow the procedures to reset the Maintenance Required light, will this also turn off the engine symbol?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A friend mentioned that my loose fuel cap might be causing the oxygen sensor to trip the alert.
That is one possible reason. Simply resetting the light without knowing the cause is a bad idea. Go to Checker, NAPA, Autozone, Advanced Auto or someplace similar and ask them to read the code. Find out what the problem is first, then clear the code.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A loose fuel cap can cause the CEL to come on, but it's not for the reason listed. The fuel system is pressurized and if the cap is off, the system leaks fuel vapor and the emissions system detects a loss. The O2 sensor is for exhaust monitoring.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the same thing occur a few weeks ago in my 09. took it to Toyota and had a bad RF sensor (I think it was RF). They ordered the parts and put in a few weeks later. No light anymore:thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said. Get the code checked. Just assuming it's caused by the loose gas cap could be a bad idea. If it is the gas cap, no big deal. If you wait until it starts running bad to have it checked, it may be too late to stop any damage. The whole idea of the CEL is to warn you of something being wrong so you can get it looked at BEFORE something gets damaged.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Could very well be a bad oxygen sensor. The 4.0 V6 has four. I've had two replaced thus far under warranty. Engine still ran fine and no appreciable loss of mpg.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma PreRunner
527 Posts
Could very well be a bad oxygen sensor. The 4.0 V6 has four. I've had two replaced thus far under warranty. Engine still ran fine and no appreciable loss of mpg.
X2. Buy OEM, don't buy the cheap ones they don't last long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts