Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for replying. You are right. I was over warranty mileage by about 9400 miles and did not buy an extended warranty.
The dealer didn't tell me anything about a skid control or wiring/connection problem - just that it required replacement of the ABS actuator. I don't know if this is the truth or a way to get more of my hard earned money.
I am ordering a service manual and will try to find the part at a reasonable price. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Aren't these things "re-manufactured" and available at a better price?

·
Registered
2 Posts
VSC light, ABS, and little to no brakes!!!!!

Two days after Christmas I was in a parking lot and all of the sudden, I put my foot on the brake to stop and the car flashed VSC light came on and my brakes were not working. I turned the car off and then back on and put the car into neutral and had my son push me into a stall. I turned the car off and back on and the same light was illuminated as well as ABS, Brake Warning and that triangular warning sign. My husband came down to pick me up 1/2 hr later and of course, the car worked fine. He thought I did something until it happened two more times for me and once for him. Each time the warnings came up and the brakes were not working very well (hit them to the floor and the car finally decides to brake.) We took it into the Toyota Dealer Service and on the way the light were up but after he turned it off the light did not come back on. They told us that because the codes are not coming on and they see nothing wrong when they look at it there is nothing they can do. BTW, it had been raining around the time that this was going on and is no longer raining? We have not hydroplaned or made any sudden movements...2 out of 4 times it happened I was going slow in a parking lot. Anyone have any ideas on what to do now? They are going to send us home with the car and I am scared to death that we are going to put our lives or someone else in danger. Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay, so they sent us home as noted above and now this past Friday, the light came back on while backing out of my driveway. We went straight to the Toyota Dealer and of course the VSC light and ABS light that was illuminated went off! My husband was quite upset and started for home and the light came back on! We went back to the dealer and it was after service hours so we had a the sales manager take a look. There did not have any equipment to check for codes but at least this time someone at Toyota saw there was a problem and actually drove the car noticing that the brakes were very weak. The car has been there all day but of course, they have not had any problems since then. I have read of other posts similar problems with VSC light and replacing the modulator but not with a camry hybrid. Please give me some feedback as we are having to share a car between us because they will not pay for a rental car (we had one for two days last time the car was in the shop).

·
Buyer's remorse
2007 Camry Hybrid
125 Posts
I have encountered a similar problem, and the response from the dealer was that there are no codes in the diagnostic system. They sent me home driving a car with unpredictable braking. I am afraid to put my family in the car now. I have stopped driving the car and I am now seeking alternate remedies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hybrid system warning light vsc system warning light

I have a 2007 Camry hybrid that had these warning lights come on last week.
I had it towed to the local dealer and the following day was advised that the car needs a new inverter.
It has 160,100km on it and is warranted for 160,000km. The dealer contacted Toyota Canada and agreed to cover the 5000.00$ part under warranty.my question is how many others have had this problem? And how long will the warranted part will last? I was in a parking lot when this happened, but what if this happened while on the highway? They recalled the highlanders for having the same problems.people should be worried. I have told so many people about how much I love my hybrid, but now scared to drive it when I get it back on Tuesday....

·
HSD Organic Interface
2004 Sienna LE
48 Posts
If the potential for failure on highway frightens you, it's time to take public transit, because it's something that can happen to anybody anytime anywhere. Friend of mine had the engine in his Jetta Diesel seize on the 407. It was a manual tranny so when the engine seized that meant the front tires locked up solid for a couple of seconds before he could disengage the clutch and roll to the side. Fortunately it wasn't too busy at the time. Years ago I snapped the crankshaft on an old Ford on the highway. Another friend of mine had his rear wheel shear off, the entire rear wheel, brakes and all pass him by (serves him right for buying a Skoda). Oh yes, I also had an old Toyota that had the piston clip the valve at high speed on the 401. That was a manual tranny to so just for a split second it locked, but managed not to destruct and I was able to limp home on 3 cyl.

As for how long the new inverter will last, well, in the 5 yrs I've been hanging around the Camry forums where ever, there have been only a handful of stories about inverter failure. It seems not to be a very common problem. The most frequent mechanical problem I've heard over the years is a leaky water pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There was a clear problem with the inverters produced in 2007. I have a 2008 TCH that was manufactured in August 2007. The inverter was replaced in March 2008. The dealer told me the new inverters should be much more reliable. I think they had some quality control issues.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check Hybrid System Light! Help!

This hybrid was purchased from Philadelphia, USA in January 2011. It had 78926 miles on it.
Today it is at 100700 miles.
And today this car gave problems for the first time while coming down on one of the main streets of Toronto (University Avenue). There was a Check Hybrid System warning on the dash and the check engine light was also on. I was doing approximately 10 mph and it was stop and go traffic.

Right thereafter I went onto the highway - Gardiner Expressway West. The car would not go above 40 km/hour. This was dangerous as cars behind me started honking and swerving wildly. Fortunately I could find a safe spot to stop the car at the fork of the ON Ramp to Spadina Avenue. Meanwhile the check VSC warning came on. I turned the engine off. Turned it back on and off two times and the warning was still there. After 15 minutes while waiting for the tow truck, I turned the engine on and the warning lights had gone. Not wanting to take on risk on one of the busiest highways of the world, I had the car towed to a dealer in Mississauga.

They had no clue what was going on since there was no warning light present for them to diagnose.

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.

Anyone as any ideas to offer?

·
6,655 Posts
scratching my head. just to make sure, miles or kilometers? of course, it was bought in the USA.. but then you are in Ca.

I do not believe anyone will offer you a quick fix magic. It's the dreaded HSD problem. I can only raise my hands and wonder, how in the world does this happen right after 100 000 HSD warranty ends?

You won't fix it yourself. It requires proprietary s/w and equipment to scope and diagnose. We have 6 states here, CARB states, that have 150 000 miles HSD warranty. Unless you have similar in yours, you out of luck, brother. I am VERY SORRY.

My - hopeful - wild guess is your HSD battery got undercharged in stop and go traffic and threw a code on you. I am HOPING that was the case. Otherwise, read above.

·
6,655 Posts
either way, you appear to be right out of warranty. sorry, john, it looks like you had a pass of bad luck...

I am pretty positive there was at least one more member here or at another TCH forum, that had very similar issue, and it went away. he was also stuck in traffic, and battery went low, then all this wonderful lights display came about.

like I said - might have been just low charge and battery started havoc. personally - in case like this, I start scratching my head and looking at replacements. this thing will cost you arm and leg in HSD repairs.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Had you filled you gas tank before the check engine lamp lit. I have read, a not fully tightened gas-cap can cause a warning light to come on. If toyota can't find anything wrong, you might consider replacing the fuel cap (from your toyota dealer) as a preventive measure.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla LE
408 Posts
Had you filled you gas tank before the check engine lamp lit. I have read, a not fully tightened gas-cap can cause a warning light to come on. If toyota can't find anything wrong, you might consider replacing the fuel cap (from your toyota dealer) as a preventive measure.
Good point, it does say on the fuel tank to make sure you hear the ticks or else it will activate the check engine light. Hope it works out well!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Gas tank was filled a couple of days prior to the incident. It was exactly 200 miles prior to this warning showing up.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Gas tank was filled a couple of days prior to the incident. It was exactly 200 miles prior to this warning showing up.
I doubt a not-tightened gas cap would be your problem. Most seem to have the light come on not many miles after filling the tank.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is the reply I got back from Toyota:

Dear Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for the concerns you are having with your Camry Hybrid. Because we cannot inspect your vehicle, we recommend contacting your local Toyota dealership in Canada for inspection.

You may also contact Toyota Canada for further assistance with your inquiry.

Toyota Canada, Inc.
1 Toyota Place
Scarborough, ON
Canada M1H 1H9
888-869-6828

www.toyota.ca

We have documented your comments at our National Headquarters under case reference number 1110xxxxxx.

Sincerely,
Txxxx Mxxxxx
Toyota Customer Experience

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
This hybrid was purchased from Philadelphia, USA in January 2011. It had 78926 miles on it.
Today it is at 100700 miles.
And today this car gave problems for the first time while coming down on one of the main streets of Toronto (University Avenue). There was a Check Hybrid System warning on the dash and the check engine light was also on. I was doing approximately 10 mph and it was stop and go traffic.
I did more internet searching. I found a similar high mileage incident that was caused by a faulty coil over plug. Each spark plug in the TCH has a small ignition coil over it so the TCH don't use spark plug wires. The coil is fired from the ECM. (electronic control module) The tech info it was said, to remove each coil wire at the coil and unplug at the ECM. Check each for shorts or crosses in the wiring out to each coil. Another check point is to make sure each coil wire is plugged fully onto the ECM.

No doubt Toyota knows about this type of trouble shooting. Toyota also has a tech center were local toyota dealer techs can call for advise on hard to find troubles.

My thinking it could possibly be a single defective sensor which they are many. A sensor to me, once bad would need replacing. I doubt any sensor would ever become intermittent. To top that any bad sensor should give a trouble code.

·
2007 TCH
2007 TCH
3 Posts
2007 TCH "Check VSC System" code C1391

My 2007 TCH showed a "Check VSC System" message halfway through my commute home along with with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. I made it home and parked it for the night.
The next morning the same message and lights came on so I made an appointment and took it to the dealer. For $108 the dealer runs diagnostics and finds code C1391.
The dealer wants to replace the ABS Accumulator. They say it is a sealed unit, has an internal leak, can't be repaired, and must be replaced. Parts & labor = $2,313.73. Ouch. I said I would have to schedule this replacement for a couple of weeks from now if possible. They reset the code but it came back on my commute home tonight.
They also say the water pump is beginning to leak a little and suggest replacing it ($587.57). Ouch again.
Granted this 2007 Camry Hybrid has 106,000 miles, but it has run perfectly to date with no problems and has been serviced on schedule only by the dealer where I bought it new.
Does this sound reasonable? Advice anyone?

21 - 40 of 505 Posts