Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 505 Posts

·
New MN User
3 Posts
Camry Hybrid Inverter Failure

We have an 07 Camry Hybrid with 100,350 miles and the inverter just failed.
Dealer is asking for $6500 to replace it and we have asked them to ask Toyota to cover part or all of it.

Is there an inverter issue with the 07's that forum members are aware of?

:dunno:

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Camry Hybrid
2 Posts
Same problem - 2007 TCH ABS Accumulator

When the "Check VSC System" message came on, I took my 2007 TCH to the dealer where I bought the car. The diagnosis was a leak in the ABS accumulator and an estimate of $2700 to repair!!!! They said the part costs $2100. I was so stunned I couldn't speak! How can replacing a single part of the brake system cost 10% of the total original vehicle price?

So, I called Toyota Customer Care and they didn't care: you're out of warranty and out of luck. I wonder how common this problem is. If this causes the brake system to fail it seems like it would be a life-threatening failure. Does anyone track these kinds of problems?

The dealer's suggestion: see what you can get on trade-in for new Toyota.

I noticed some others got Toyota to pick up part of the repair cost. Doesn't sound like I'm going to be that fortunate. I couldn't be more disappointed in Toyota.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
JSB

·
Registered
15 Posts
When the "Check VSC System" message came on, I took my 2007 TCH to the dealer where I bought the car. The diagnosis was a leak in the ABS accumulator and an estimate of $2700 to repair!!!! They said the part costs $2100. I was so stunned I couldn't speak! How can replacing a single part of the brake system cost 10% of the total original vehicle price?

So, I called Toyota Customer Care and they didn't care: you're out of warranty and out of luck. I wonder how common this problem is. If this causes the brake system to fail it seems like it would be a life-threatening failure. Does anyone track these kinds of problems?

The dealer's suggestion: see what you can get on trade-in for new Toyota.

I noticed some others got Toyota to pick up part of the repair cost. Doesn't sound like I'm going to be that fortunate. I couldn't be more disappointed in Toyota.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
JSB
Hey JSB

I had this very problem about 4 weeks ago with my 2007 TCH and I had the extended warranty on it but the car had 80K on it - so I was completely out of luck - even though most of the miles are highway and I had reported brake problems when my car was at 70K. If I knew exactly what was going on with the brakes I would have reported it earlier - for me I was getting a lot of pulsing even when I was just idling.

I was quoted $2995 for the repair work.

This is what we did and I'll tell you it wasn't easy. We got on the phone with our dealer and ultimately talked with the manager - a repair at this time at this expense and at this mileage should not be happening. Because we've always used the dealer for service (and really haven't had any repair) - they were willing to work with us. We also filed a complaint with Toyota in California (they will give you the number to report this particular part failure) - it was a 1-800 number. Until a sufficient amount of reports come in - this will not be covered by Toyota so I encourage you to do so.

Toyota in Round Rock was great and I can't help but say they worked with us and sat and explained exactly what the failure was. Basically you are losing the power assist to the braking system. You
won't lose breaks but it will be harder to break. The part is computerized so they explained how pricey it is..

We got our cost reduced to $1500 and I had them cover my rental car. Each dealer is capable of doing this - it's just a matter if they have the funds or they've used them.

Now the real catch - they will replace it with the exact same part and that warranty is only 1 year. We were not so happy with this as we believe this part is defective.

Well I hope this helps. You are right that this repair is a significant cost of the value of the car. I had these very same thoughts and in all honesty this is the costliest repair I've ever had on a car. I've thought about trading in the car because I still have the same part and I'm wondering if in another 75 thousand miles Ill be doing the same part replacement.

As it was explained to me - if Toyota chooses to cover the part replacement in the future - I need to actually own the car to get my money back.

·
Registered
2007 Camry Hybrid
2 Posts
Thanks swimmom. I'm in Austin also and my car is sitting at the same dealer. I agree Toyota in Round Rock has always been great to work with. This certainly isn't their fault and they're very sympathetic. This has been the best car I've ever owned up until now. I don't know what to do. I just can't afford this right now. I appreciate having your information.

B

·
0 Posts
As it was explained to me - if Toyota chooses to cover the part replacement in the future - I need to actually own the car to get my money back.
That's B.S. I would sue Toyota in small claims court if they pulled that one on me. It's horror stories like that made me get the extended warranty of eight years, 125,000 miles, and I will use all eight years of that warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VSC System, Check Hybrid System after changing brakes & roders

Just like the title states, I went to the dealership never had these messages show up on my dash and 2 days after I had my roders & brakes changed I got "Check VSC System" & "Check Hybrid System" along with the exclamation point & check engine lights turned on. I find it too coincidental how after 196,000 miles of no issues, the 2 aforementioned messages pop up after I take it to dealership. Any help? Appreciate it

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
611 Posts
Just like the title states, I went to the dealership never had these messages show up on my dash and 2 days after I had my roders & brakes changed I got "Check VSC System" & "Check Hybrid System" along with the exclamation point & check engine lights turned on. I find it too coincidental how after 196,000 miles of no issues, the 2 aforementioned messages pop up after I take it to dealership. Any help? Appreciate it
What's the code stored?

Most likely cause is the ABS sensor or wiring got 'messed up'. The ECU will tell you which one - but a close look at the wires may also tell you. Cure is to properly diagnose the subsystem and set right what got broken.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
611 Posts
I'll give it a shot, I'll keep u posted. BTW, how u know all of this?
School of hard knocks

(specifically, one of getting careless when wrenching and knocking loose an ABS sensor, breaking the bracket and spending $$$ to replace).:facepalm:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not agree with ukrkoz, I have the same problem, CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning light onwith my main battery in green full condition and it still charge and discharge when I drive it, it just happened this morning with my 2008 TCH about 127 kmiles, so this is not about the battery...

·
Registered
250 Posts
The symptoms are similar to a failed inverter coolant pump that has been reported numerous times with the Prius. Has the pump been checked?

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Anybody mention worn spark plugs or dirty air cleaner. A good point would be to check the inverter glass and see if it's half full. The radiator coolant box should also show about half full when cool.

This was back in 2011 JohnJan mentioned the problem. I don't see where he came back to say if the warning light's came on again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Folks, this was nearly a YEAR AGO! :hi: I'm sure he's either had it repaired or moved on.

Not that it matters now but my money would have been a failed inverter coolant pump. I've noticed it's a somewhat common failure on other, older hybrids. The good news is it's not a real expensive repair. The bad news is it's like a timing belt in that it can fail without warning but when it does the car goes into limp mode to give you time to get to a safe stopping point.

With the car in ready mode, open up the lid of the hybrid coolant tank and check for agitation/flow. If none, the pump is bad.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Folks, this was nearly a YEAR AGO! :hi: I'm sure he's either had it repaired or moved on.

Not that it matters now but my money would have been a failed inverter coolant pump. I've noticed it's a somewhat common failure on other, older hybrids. The good news is it's not a real expensive repair. The bad news is it's like a timing belt in that it can fail without warning but when it does the car goes into limp mode to give you time to get to a safe stopping point.

With the car in ready mode, open up the lid of the hybrid coolant tank and check for agitation/flow. If none, the pump is bad.
Looks like if the electric inverter coolant pump went out, you should see a "HYBRID SYSTEM OVERHEAT" message. The manual says to stop the car in a safe place and turn off the AC. Check for any steam coming out from under the hood if not try to restart the system. Check to see if the cooling fans are operating, if not call your toyota dealer. If the fans are operating wait until the rightmost segment of the engine coolant 'temperature display' "H" stops flashing and returns to a normal display. Then stop the hybrid system.

Could be here they are first talking about the hybrid system cooling then the engine overheating. The earlier Camry versions should be very similar to our present models.

This info is on page 465 in the XLE TCH Manual.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did not have the warning back on again. The car is now at 127,000 miles. The spark plugs were changed at 85,000 miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting.

While doing a project on my 08 this weekend, I disconnected the 12V battery for several hours. On my very next drive, I got several warnings at my first stop leaving my neighborhood (check hybrid system, red exclamation mark, check vsc, abs light and there may have been others). I returned home to check things out under the hood (found nothing), powered back up, and only the check hybrid system message remained. I cancelled it with my ultra-gauge and none have reappeared since. :dunno:

61 - 80 of 505 Posts