Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
When I had my TV shop when I was young, I found some brands of TV's had to have their oem tubes in some circuits and if not, it would not work right. Aftermarket parts and not always the same as the OEM's. I have found that out more then once on replacing car bulbs.
Kinda like generic drugs. Some different after effects?

·
Registered
82 Posts
to whitesands point. wife has RX300 that keeps throwing "bad light" warning on the dash. little yellow car with one light "shining".
I have ALL lights working fine. as in - ALL - checked multiple times. had ECM reset. yet, light's still there. but indeed, I bought replacement bulbs from O'Reilly. there might be some point to it.
I know BMW X5s are known for throwing out false messages like "check brake/tail light". Those have circuit boards mounted in the tail light housings that melt over time and cause all kinds of problems (brake light out one day, working the next, red brake light flashing with yellow turn signal on one side, false out messages, etc). electrical issues are often simple, but impossible to find.

on another note, just because a bulb fits in the socket and is the same size/shape doesnt mean its the right one. usually the single/dual filament bulbs are the most mixed up, and its hard to check brake lights yourself (i wedge my shoe under the pedal and run back to look before it pops out).

also can't believe anything to do with a taillight could push a VSC light. yikes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So yesterday I'm sitting in my 2007 TCH in the parking lot at work and 'ding', the "check engine" light comes on with a "Check Hybrid System" message. I immediately dive it to the dealer, it drives a bit sluggish but ok. Today the dealer says it has a code P0A7F. I may have misunderstood as I can't find anything on this code. They tell me it is the Hybrid Battery reporting a couple of cells not holding a charge completely, like 17V and 16.9V, and the Hybrid Battery needs to be replaced ($4,090.02 for the battery and $252 for labor). So much for the price of batteries ever coming down. Earlier this year they replaced the ABS Accumulator, code C1391, and water pump (>$3,000.00) and a few days ago the A/C Evap. Coil (>$2,000.00) followed by the A/C Blower Motor ($185.00, dealer felt sorry for me and paid the labor). The Hybrid Battery is on backorder and is expected in a couple of weeks. They cleared the message and I am able to drive it until the battery comes in.
Since it has 118,000 miles and no warranty I figure I'm toast. Then the service manager contacted Toyota and to their credit and my great relief they agreed to pay for the battery if I pay the installation (YES!).
Almost all of my driving is highway/tollway here in Houston where it gets pretty hot, so maybe that contributed to the problem(s). I'm the original owner and have serviced this car on schedule and only by the dealer where I bought it new. I'm guessing they will want to take a closer look at the battery failure and I'm considering switching to a basic Camry or even Corolla. My budget can't handle more maintenance surprises on this TCH and I need a car that will go 200k+ without breaking the bank on maintenance.
I'm also in Houston and am the original owner of a TCH 2007. I'm sorry to hear of all your problems. I have never had a problem other than replacing the water pump. It's really the best car I've ever owned. I have 84,000 miles on it. It worries me about the battery going bad. I do have extended warranty to 100,000 miles , 7 years, but it wouild really suck to be saddled with a $4K bill.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm also in Houston and am the original owner of a TCH 2007. I'm sorry to hear of all your problems. I have never had a problem other than replacing the water pump. It's really the best car I've ever owned. I have 84,000 miles on it. It worries me about the battery going bad. I do have extended warranty to 100,000 miles , 7 years, but it wouild really suck to be saddled with a $4K bill.
If it fails it will not cost 4k unless you go to a shady dealer. If in the rare chance it fails look at the links provided in this thread to find a much cheaper battery.

Before buying my car I read battery threads at Priuschat and it appeared that most failed or showed signs of failing at 200k or more miles. The way I see it in 8-10 years batteries will be a lot cheaper since there will be so many more hybrids on the road.

·
New MN User
3 Posts
We had a 100,000 mile warranty and they only agreed to pay 50%. Absolutely loved the Camry until this happened and they stuck us for 3k to fix a part that should never have failed to begin with.

Can't say as we can recommend the hybrids anymore. But if we get another 100k out of this one, maybe we will feel differently then.

Toyota is slipping in quality and customer service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you ever resolved your problem. I'm having exactly the same problem, and the dealerships are frustrated because the computer is not showing any error codes. But I was able to take a picture of the dash board all lit up so that they could at least see what was going on, even if they couldn't experience the braking issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My problem with the Check Hybrid System warning light was gone after I re-tightened gas cap, so it's not about temp or battery... at least in my case. But it's just happened today when I change the coolant for radiator engine and power control unit, I started the vehicle in incline position on the ramp, but when I moved it back on the level position, it was gone....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for replying. You are right. I was over warranty mileage by about 9400 miles and did not buy an extended warranty.
The dealer didn't tell me anything about a skid control or wiring/connection problem - just that it required replacement of the ABS actuator. I don't know if this is the truth or a way to get more of my hard earned money.
I am ordering a service manual and will try to find the part at a reasonable price. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Aren't these things "re-manufactured" and available at a better price?
Hi Brazzy
I know it has been a few years but did the solution dealer gave you work?

Ted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check VSC System DTC Code C1365

The dealer replaced the part but the problem continued. It turned out that when the dealer replaced the windshield, it was not sealed properly and some electronics got wet and shorted out causing the problem. After a lot of hassling and a call to Toyota's Canadian head office, the dealer refunded the cost of the work already done even though it was over the warranty period. I sold the car, not because it wasn't a good car but because the dealer insisted on performing extra maintenance work whenever I took the vehicle in for regular maintenance. When I refused to spend the extra money he did not cooperate on this problem. In fact he stated: "If you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours".
His assistant was much more understanding and we solved the problem in the managers absence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This part seems to be going out on my 2007 Camry Hyrbid also. It started priming every 15 seconds today. We should really start a class action suit if Toyota refuses to acknowledge the problem and take responsibility. My dad had a timing belt break on his Audi TT (needed a complete engine rebuilt) before the recommended interval and Audi wouldn't do anything. Two years later he got reimbursed in full due to a class action against Audi as thousands of TT owners had timing belts break before the recommended interval. I have only been researching this issue a few minutes and already have come across dozens of posts on numerous forums regarding this issue. My Camry Hybrid has 81k miles and has been serviced at the dealer every 5k miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes and there is none. I called the Toyota customer service number as I read some ppl got half of the repair bill covered by Toyota but no such luck for me. I read on other forums Toyota have even re-designed the pump and the replacement part is a different part number (Toyota's way of unofficially recognizing a problem). I was given the this is an unknown problem with this car yet I have read of hundreds of failures of these pumps under 100k miles, and I'm sure for every person who posts about theirs failing, there is at least 10 others who didn't. I have owned several Toyota's but I feel like the quality has declined some over the years. This isn't the only issue I've had with this car that is a known problem (Audio jack stopped working and they want $125 for a $2 part)

·
Registered
51 Posts
yes and there is none. I called the Toyota customer service number as I read some ppl got half of the repair bill covered by Toyota but no such luck for me. I read on other forums Toyota have even re-designed the pump and the replacement part is a different part number (Toyota's way of unofficially recognizing a problem). I was given the this is an unknown problem with this car yet I have read of hundreds of failures of these pumps under 100k miles, and I'm sure for every person who posts about theirs failing, there is at least 10 others who didn't. I have owned several Toyota's but I feel like the quality has declined some over the years. This isn't the only issue I've had with this car that is a known problem (Audio jack stopped working and they want $125 for a $2 part)
Sorry about your ordeal. There go all your gas savings. I have a 2007 TCH and have had the water pump issue many have had. 90,000 miles on car. Reading all these posts have convinced me it's time for a new car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
exactly my thoughts on the gas savings! I see no way of ever recouping a penny of the premium paid for this car with the cost of these repairs and Toyota's reluctance to recall anything on them. The aux output is a well known issue (there's you tube videos on it!! but I was not able to fix mine with solder), the issue with the brake accumulator pump is common knowledge and now I read about this water pump issue and it appears my car has it also! I saw pink coolant on the inside of my hood today. I have had this car 10 months, it was a one owner with every service done at the dealer since day one at the recommended intervals. Toyota's excuse for not covering any of the cost of the repair;
"well sir your not the first owner and there's no telling that the previous owner didn't abuse the car."
Are you kidding me? Every single service down to induction cleaning done on or before recommended intervals and the car is mint. Besides even if they did somehow abuse it, water pumps, abs accumulator pumps and aux inputs don't fail from abuse! I am shocked that there is no class action out there yet over these issues and the lack of a recall on any of them. I am tempted to just cut my losses now and trade the car in, regrettably I just paid $650 for tires last week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
oh yes, and Toyota also told me today if there is a recall on these issues in the future, I won't see a dime back from them. The only thing they are required to backpay you for are ""safety issues" I'm sure this will not fall under this category. I know they take years but if anyone is interested in getting a class action going over the brake accumulator and or the water pumps I do know a lawyer who handles class actions.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I may have mentioned this before, but I was told when I bought this TCH that the brake "accumulator" was part of the hybrid system and is covered by the extended hybrid warranty. If mine were to fail, I would hold them to that, and take them to small claims if necessary.

The original water pump was belt driven, and the new TCH has no belts. I would hope it has been redesigned. In any case another site on the net has an excellent do it yourself procedure to replace the pump. Not a trivial job, but it can be done by someone who typically does their own small repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 TCH Check VSC with brake failure

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry Hyrbrid. I took it to three different dealers to have the brake actuator looked at due to noise and fluid leak. All three dealers said it was a normal noise and that my brakes are safe. Two months after from the last visit for my brakes the brakes failed while driving on the freeway and again while driving downhill.

I've been reading about other Camry owners with the same problem. I also in the past few months have had my water pump replaced and master window switches replaced (later recalled). My advice to everyone with this problem is to contact the National Highway Traffic saftey Adminstration to file a complaint. If enough are filed they will issue a recall. We should not have to fix this problem that is obviously a problem. Toyota will try to deny the problem exists and even told me to take the car home. File a statement with the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/ NOW! While your on the site look up the same make and model car you will see a few people that already made a statement.

Good luck!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
Website for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
www.nhtsa.gov

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recalls can only be issued by NHTSA.gov

After fixing my master window switch for about $500+ I received a recall notice.. it states that if you already did the repairs on this to just mail them a copy of the receipt and proof of ownership to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My brakes eventually failed completely. It's been in the dealership for over 4 days now and they keep telling me they can't find the problem. BS. Call or write the NHTSA.gov Only they can issue a recall. I contacted Gomez Lawyers to see if i had a case and they said i need to be injured.

101 - 120 of 505 Posts