Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
where exactly on that site do you file a complaint? I looked for a few minutes and couldn't find the exact area. Once I have the exact area I will repost your link on all the other forums/message boards I saw people post this failure so we can try to force a recall. I'm in sort of the same predicament as you. Mine has not failed yet but I know it is going to as it is priming way too often. My dealer wants $135 to diagnose it yet they tell me without a warning light there is not much they can do (the service department didn't even know what I meant by saying the pump priming noise) so they will likley tell me there is no problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
http://www.nhtsa.gov/

I am driving down a local street in my 2007 Toy Camry Hybrid(TCH) with 61,906 miles and up pops the ABS failure light, BRAKE and warning icons. This car has had an easy life driving around town and regular service.

This core VSC/ABS brake control module apparently has failed according to two Toyota Dealers. Error Code C1391 apparently is definitive. Replacement cost at a Toyota dealer ranges from $1950 to $2450. From what I "heard", the labor is around $250, the Module the balance.

What is going on here? This type of part should not be failing at these low miles. ABS has been around for decades. This is Toyota branded equipment, Toyota should take proactive measures to address this type of failure. This is a Toyota embarrassment.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Rick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rick,

Do anyone else notice this brake problem occurring around the same time? 2007-2008 and now in 2012 - 2013 it's happening. Call or write the http://www.nhtsa.gov/ national highway traffic safely administration ASAP!

This is from the NHTSA.gov website. Please call or write them.

Click Here to Send Email to NHTSA

NHTSA Headquarters
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
West Building
Washington, DC 20590

Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 / Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153 / Media inquiries: 202-366-9550
USDOT General Information Main Switchboard (including personnel locator): 202-366-4000 / Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm Eastern, excluding Federal Holidays.

VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE
Please use the toll-free number above to report suspected safety defects in your vehicle, vehicle equipment, and child safety seats. You can also obtain information about air bags, highway safety, and the proper use of child safety seats.
Remember to always buckle up, never drive when impaired, and ensure that child safety seats are installed and used properly.

I ended up calling them after leaving a voice message. They will ask for your VIN number.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
http://www.safercar.gov/ www.nhtsa.gov NOW!

My 2007 TCH showed a "Check VSC System" message halfway through my commute home along with with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. I made it home and parked it for the night.
The next morning the same message and lights came on so I made an appointment and took it to the dealer. For $108 the dealer runs diagnostics and finds code C1391.
The dealer wants to replace the ABS Accumulator. They say it is a sealed unit, has an internal leak, can't be repaired, and must be replaced. Parts & labor = $2,313.73. Ouch. I said I would have to schedule this replacement for a couple of weeks from now if possible. They reset the code but it came back on my commute home tonight.
They also say the water pump is beginning to leak a little and suggest replacing it ($587.57). Ouch again.
Granted this 2007 Camry Hybrid has 106,000 miles, but it has run perfectly to date with no problems and has been serviced on schedule only by the dealer where I bought it new.
Does this sound reasonable? Advice anyone?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File a complaint with the NHTSA.gov or Safercar.gov both part of the national highway traffic safty administration. I had the same issue as you and I'm starting to see a pattern with many others. file a complaint because this car's brakes and water pump need to be recalled. Without brakes you can kill or injure someone and that bad water pump can cause your engine to overheat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It still is a painfully expensive repair bill but I did find a company that will rebuild the pump at less than half the cost of a new one, and warranty it for life. Plus you wont be putting a penny in Toyota's pockets this way if you go to a private shop to get the install done. Heres the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Toyota-Camry-Hybrid-ABS-Rebuild-EBCM-Antilock-Brake-Control-Module-Repair-/110993557527?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item19d7bb4817&vxp=mtr

$689 for a rebuild with a lifetime warranty beats $1900 plus from the dealer, only negative is your car will be out of action for a week plus as they don't do core's, they ship you an empty box, rebuild your pump and send it back to you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Am I correct that the brake accumulator assembly has been redesigned in the 2012 TCH? Although I realize the 2012 design is relatively new, have any 2012 TCH owners experienced a problem with it? In all honesty, I'm not all that impressed by how mine has been working: When I first bought the car, it seemed the pump would run for over 10 seconds when I opened the driver's door in the morning. Now, it runs for maybe 8-10 secs, but it's developed a propensity to run for a second or two every other time I step on the brakes. This is especially annoying when I'm lightly braking to a stop, because as the system transitions from regenerative braking to the disk brakes below about 10mph, the pump will kick in and the car will tend to lurch to a stop, as if I'd just stepped on the brakes harder. So far, it's just been annoying, not dangerous, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem? I have not heard the pump run when I'm not stepping on the brakes, but then I'm not always listening for it either, and I can only hear it when the sound system is off, which is often not the case.

Inquiring minds...

·
Registered
2009 Camry Hybrid
22 Posts
Check VSC warning and skid light when driving at steady speed

Hello Everyone,
My uncle has a 2007 TCH.
The "Check VSC System" lights up while he is driving at normal speeds.
The following happens during a steady speed drive:
1. The "Check VSC System" and the skid light both light up.
2. The car seems to loose power.
3. The lights go away, and the car drives normally.
4. Then the whole cycle happens again.

All this happens every 2-5 minutes.

I would appreciate all your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Codes should be set in the computer. You may be able to read them with a standard code reader, or you may be forced to take it to the dealer to have them check for Toyota hybrid specific codes.

·
Registered
2009 Camry Hybrid
22 Posts
Re: Check VSC warning and skid light when driving at steady speed

The stunning thing is that no error codes are stored. ..
And no CEL either!

I checked using scan xl pro...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the dreaded C1391 error code! $3100 to fix. I called another dealer and got a quote of $2100. After questioning the price difference, I found that the cheaper dealer had the original ABS actuator. They said they got it Nov 2012 and the new one must have produced since then. The original actuator costs about $1600 and the reengineered one costs $2499 hence the difference in price. If anyone is experiencing this failure, I would suggest they check and then double check the part number of the actuator the are trying to install. I don't know if the new actuator is any better than the original but I do know I don't want the old one. My 07 Camry hybrid has 155,000 miles on it. I also just had the water pump replaced along with the brake pads. Getting 155,000 miles on the original brake pads is pretty good though. I called Toyota corp but they said "sorry we can't help you". I filed a complaint with safecar.gov. This experience has really soured my otherwise favorable opinion of this car. I hope no one gets hurt by this faulty product but I think that's what it may take to bring this to the publics attention. The amount of recent failures is alarming.

·
Registered
92 Posts
check hybrid system

A warning came on in my 2009 camry hybrid and after checking the manual and calling the dealer I was advised not to drive it. After checking the codes at the dealer they said it is the neutral safety switch. While I wait for the part the car does not go into hybrid mode and most of the time the guage on the left is at max. It seems to rev excessively. Does anyone know if this could be the problem? I thought the neutral safety switch only prevented starting in a drive gear. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
611 Posts
A warning came on in my 2009 camry hybrid and after checking the manual and calling the dealer I was advised not to drive it. After checking the codes at the dealer they said it is the neutral safety switch. While I wait for the part the car does not go into hybrid mode and most of the time the guage on the left is at max. It seems to rev excessively. Does anyone know if this could be the problem? I thought the neutral safety switch only prevented starting in a drive gear. Any thoughts?
Keep in mind that the HSD power split device (a.k.a by the misnomer of transaxle) isn't a transmission in the conventional sense of the word. It's 'constant-mesh' device that has all of the components always 'in gear'. The way it does the stuff a normal transmission does is by controlling the electric motors. Failure of any of the sensors causes the ECU to shut down to safe mode because it doesn't know which direction you want to go in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Black 2007 TCH that just turned over 198,000 miles this evening. Earlier today, I got the Check VSC System warning and the accompanying indicators. The fact that it came on, went off, came on, went off, and then locked on in the span of a long road trip has me hoping that there is a "anything but the accumulator" issue. Given that I drove thru 8 inches of snow this morning, I would think it's more of a plugged / damaged sensor of some kind.

Hey... a guy can dream, right?

So far, love the car. All I have done to it besides change the oil (Mobil 1) and filters every 5 - 7,000 is replace tires every 70,0000 and replaced the spark plugs the day I hit 100,000. Still have not replaced the brake pads. Going to do those with the 2nd round of plugs at 200,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing ABS Actuator - 2007 Camry Hybrid

My 2007 TCH showed a "Check VSC System" message halfway through my commute home along with with the brake, hazard, warning, and ABS lights. I made it home and parked it for the night.
The next morning the same message and lights came on so I made an appointment and took it to the dealer. For $108 the dealer runs diagnostics and finds code C1391.
The dealer wants to replace the ABS Accumulator. They say it is a sealed unit, has an internal leak, can't be repaired, and must be replaced. Parts & labor = $2,313.73. Ouch. I said I would have to schedule this replacement for a couple of weeks from now if possible. They reset the code but it came back on my commute home tonight.
They also say the water pump is beginning to leak a little and suggest replacing it ($587.57). Ouch again.
Granted this 2007 Camry Hybrid has 106,000 miles, but it has run perfectly to date with no problems and has been serviced on schedule only by the dealer where I bought it new.
Does this sound reasonable? Advice anyone?
Response: I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with the same problem. I took it to my local Toyota Service Dealer and they conducted a required "Diagnostic Test" for $82.00 and the result was CODE C1391 "Faulty ABS Actuator" replace ABS Actuator. Repair Quote = $2700.00+Labor; I declined repairs because I saw this as a "Major Repair" and I wanted to do more researching. Background: Mileage = 54,403 miles; My dashboard displayed "Check VSC System", Error warning lights up for Brakes & ABS and stays on; after a week, an irritating warning buzzer stayed on throughout car operation. I went on-line through Google and searched for the Toyota Part Number and found other sources for the part; cost ranged from $500 to $1800 for the part. I searched eBay with the part number and found a seller for $450 (with a little crack); I submitted a Bid for $300+shipping. I won the bid and received the part within a week. Bear in mind that I am not a "Mechanic" but I am comfortable tinkering with engines. I researched on-line about removing and replacing the ABS Actuator during the time waiting for the part to arrive. Yesterday, I installed the "ABS Actuator" by removing 1 mounting screw on each side; I numbered each Brake Port input lines (1 thru 6) and unscrewed each port and disconnected the electrical connection and removed the ABS Actuator. I installed the new part, connected all brake ports and remounted the unit; finally I bled the brake port. I test drove the car and during the test drive all warning lights went off and that ANNOYING BUZZER STOPPED! TOTAL COST = $350 + 25 MINUTES TO DO THE LABOR!!! Don't let the dealer rip you off!!

harry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got that ERROR C1391

Just got the dreaded C1391 error code! $3100 to fix. I called another dealer and got a quote of $2100. After questioning the price difference, I found that the cheaper dealer had the original ABS actuator. They said they got it Nov 2012 and the new one must have produced since then. The original actuator costs about $1600 and the reengineered one costs $2499 hence the difference in price. If anyone is experiencing this failure, I would suggest they check and then double check the part number of the actuator the are trying to install. I don't know if the new actuator is any better than the original but I do know I don't want the old one. My 07 Camry hybrid has 155,000 miles on it. I also just had the water pump replaced along with the brake pads. Getting 155,000 miles on the original brake pads is pretty good though. I called Toyota corp but they said "sorry we can't help you". I filed a complaint with safecar.gov. This experience has really soured my otherwise favorable opinion of this car. I hope no one gets hurt by this faulty product but I think that's what it may take to bring this to the publics attention. The amount of recent failures is alarming.
Response: I just experienced the same error C1391 from the Toyota Service Dept. Cost for repair = $2700.00 + Labor. I declined repairs and found the part on eBay for $450, I submitted a bid for $300 since it had a small crack which was a non-issue for me. I won the bid and received the part within a week. I researched on-line on how to remove and replace the "ABS Actuator" myself. I received the part and installed it within 25 minutes; I bled the brakes and test drove the car; during this test drive the Error warning lights disappeared and that ANNOYING BUZZER, STOPPED BUZZING!!! Don't let the dealer rip you off!! This Error Code C1391 has been documented but Toyota continues to ignore this problem!!!

harry

·
Registered
1 Posts
VSC Light Brake Failure

I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution other than the stroke sensor? Need to offer the dealership some guidance, as they, of course, can find nothing wrong and no record in car's computer system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced ABS Accumulator

I recently replaced by ABS accumulator after 2 months of the VSC System light going on and off. It first came in in cold, rainy weather before Christmas. I took it to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong with it. The light stayed off for about 3 weeks and then started coming on interminently. Each time it did, it felt like there was pressure behind the brake and the brakes definitely didn't work as well. Eventually the light came on and stayed on and the car made a very odd noise.

The dealer quoted over $3k for the part and labor. I was able to find the part for about $400 cheaper from a Toyota dealer in CA and talked Toyota down on the labor. Total cost ended up being about $2250.

I think it is ridiculous that Toyota will not do anything about this. I saw from this thread that people have had luck getting money back in CA. I am going to try contacting Toyota of NC and hope for the same luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car Info

I have 2007 Camry Hybrid. At the time I had the accumulator replaced the car that 79k miles on it. No other real issues with the car other than the normal wear.

121 - 140 of 505 Posts