Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check VCS System - C1391

This just happened to me a week a go, still investigating. Reported to this site. http://www.NHTSA.gov/
Also found an other are of support. We need to stay at this!! I know there are many more out there!
https://www.checkvscsystem.com/

Been all over looking for an accumulator, with no luck. Called California,
very sympathetic, have a case number, but I have to go to a dealer, and this time pay them to do the computer dagonostic. RIP! Then work my way through the financial nightmare. 2007 Camry Hybrid, lights came on at 68025 miles.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This just happened to me a week a go, still investigating. Reported to this site. http://www.NHTSA.gov/
Also found an other are of support. We need to stay at this!! I know there are many more out there!
https://www.checkvscsystem.com/

Been all over looking for an accumulator, with no luck. Called California,
very sympathetic, have a case number, but I have to go to a dealer, and this time pay them to do the computer dagonostic. RIP! Then work my way through the financial nightmare. 2007 Camry Hybrid, lights came on at 68025 miles.
While Toyota may have a different view, mine is that this brake control system is part of the hybrid vehicle system because it is part of the regenerative braking system. As such it should be covered under the extended hybrid component warranty. There is no regenerative braking in the non hybrid Camry. And the hybrid system cannot operate without it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for further info, I need all I can get. I called and am not covered now. I think there was an extended waranty for five years or 60,000 miles. This was previously my parents car, then just mom and now I. So it is not looking good. Even when give a vin number, I get nothing. I called Toyta in Ca. Same thing. And I know I am on borrowed time. Drive low miles and no highway, nor will I untill I get this resolved. Trying to do this without having to borrow money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While Toyota may have a different view, mine is that this brake control system is part of the hybrid vehicle system because it is part of the regenerative braking system. As such it should be covered under the extended hybrid component warranty. There is no regenerative braking in the non hybrid Camry. And the hybrid system cannot operate without it.

Please read next thread below this one. Did not do the respond thing right. New to the site. Will get better at it.
What about this extended waranty for this? I can not get an answer when I go to the source. I keep getting told I have no waranty.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Please read next thread below this one. Did not do the respond thing right. New to the site. Will get better at it.
What about this extended waranty for this? I can not get an answer when I go to the source. I keep getting told I have no waranty.
The current Camry Hybrid has a separate extended warranty on hybrid components. I asked the salesman if this brake module was covered, and he said it was. Of course he wanted to sell a car, so the real test would be when it failed and you are talking to the service rep.

I would find out how long your warranty is on the hybrid components, and if you are still inside that limit pursue it further with Toyota. Also big companies hate small claims court. It costs them more for lawyers than the typical claim. As a last resort you might at least threaten it. The basis of the claim is that this part is specific to the hybrid design (regardless of what the Toyota fine print may say). Do your homework. Find out the part number of the brake module for the non hybrid and the hybrid to show that they are different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You refered to the "Current Camry Hybrid"
Would that include a 2007 Camry Hybrid? I have
stated the miles when this warning came up on the dash.
I have been trying to find out about warrantys, components is
a new and different thing to look at. thanks. However
I am trying to do my homework, yet I don't know where to looK.
And lastly, I have been looking for the ABS accumulator for my car, cannot find a
part number. Never mind the regular camry. Do I need to purchase a secret bible on this? I have been all over the internet, LOST!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You refered to the "Current Camry Hybrid"
Would that include a 2007 Camry Hybrid? I have
stated the miles when this warning came up on the dash.
I have been trying to find out about warrantys, components is
a new and different thing to look at. thanks. However
I am trying to do my homework, yet I don't know where to looK.
And lastly, I have been looking for the ABS accumulator for my car, cannot find a
part number. Never mind the regular camry. Do I need to purchase a secret bible on this? I have been all over the internet, LOST!
I have been to several areas on automotive. When I look for my needs, I get everything but the accumulator for the 07 Camry Hybrid.
Not that I have not seen accumulators, just not for this vehicles ABS system. Very frustrating, especially when you just do not know! In the mean time, I am getting a swift education! HA!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got me thinking here, can you smell the smoke??!!??
I have printed out your suggestions to me, so I can refer back when I call
California again, I did get a case number, so maybe I can ask them about
the warrranty on this hybrid component? I know I need the part number, where
ever that is mysteriously hidden..... Not giving up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you. Went there and registered. Clicked on warranty for camry hybrid, saw warranty about batteries and such. But no mention of brakes, ABS, accumulators. Went into the parts site. Well!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf: Lots of numbers. No descriptions. Common now! I saw two things that had for the front, w/ABS and lots of numbers. I have no idea what would be for me. This is not for novices. And is an absolute frustrating maze! :headbang:
However keeping and going back to. Sharing with someone who can possibly read into this. Not sure.

Again thank you for your help. It is getting me closer to where I need to be , slowly but somewhat surely. Emoticons helping with sense of humor!

·
Registered
'12 TCH, '12 RAV4
18 Posts
Heard there were similar issues with the ABS actuators on the Lexus HS 250h.

Toyota really needs to address this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So for folks who have had the brake accumulator failures, is there any differences that somebody can spot by looking under the hood? Also, are the third generation hybrid system vehicles (2010 + 2011) affected by these failures?

·
Registered
9 Posts
08 Camry check VSC

Hey all, any insight is much apreciated! I have an 2008 Camry Hybrid with aprox 180k kilometers. Due to the sliders or somthing sticking I had to replace my left rear brake pads a few days ago. When I lifted the caliper the outer pad had been wore down to the metal along the top, inside pad was almost like new. I replaced both and did the same on the right rear (both right rear pads also like new but I changed them anyway) The job really coudnt have been easier. As soon as I started the car I got "check VSC System" and my e-brake, skid, abs & tire pressure lights are all now on. The brakes feel completely normal. I did not hit the sensor in back of the brake.

Any Ideas??

I've tried disconecting the neg on battery & plugged one of those ODB readers in with no codes.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
Hmmm... That sucks... No telling? I have never touched mine. So, I am not familiar with them.

Are the rear calipers on the TCH the compress type or the screw type? If they are the "screw type" and you just compressed them, they could be ruined. The rear calipers on some cars require a special tool to spin the caliper piston back into the bore.

You should post this over on Green Hybrid as well. There is a guy over there that is fairly knowledgeable with the TCH.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer may be in order (unfortunately).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was pretty sure they are the compress type but you could be right. Thanks for the responce! I will try to repost this in the propper section, sry I'm new to this. I do have an apointment at the dealer in a couple days. Just hope its nothing to do with the brake acutuator, like others are having problems with! I cant see it because I have never had this warning light before and it came on as soon as I turned the car back on after changing the pads. Also the tire pressure light being on leads me to believe it may have somthing to do with the sensor.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
I was pretty sure they are the compress type but you could be right. Thanks for the responce! I will try to repost this in the propper section, sry I'm new to this. I do have an apointment at the dealer in a couple days. Just hope its nothing to do with the brake acutuator, like others are having problems with! I cant see it because I have never had this warning light before and it came on as soon as I turned the car back on after changing the pads. Also the tire pressure light being on leads me to believe it may have something to do with the sensor.
You posted in the right "section". Green Hybrid is another forum (like "Toyota Nation"). They have an area for posting and discussing issues with the TCH as well. GeorgiaHybrid is one of the knowledgeable people over there when it comes to problems like this.

It is obviously not the actuator as there was no issue until you removed the rear calipers. Be sure they understand this when you drop the car off. I would want to hear what GeorgiaHybrid would have to say about all of this before heading to the dealer. Seems like he has a bunch of the factory Toyota shop manuals that he can refer to along with his experience tinkering and repairing these cars.

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts

·
CamryHybridGaraged
Toyota Camry Hybrid
3 Posts
Website Established: www.checkvscsystem.com

RE: 2007 Camry Hybrid-Check VSC System/Brake Actuator Failed.
My Camry has been garaged since October 2012. Initially on the advice of my Toyota Service Advisor/Manager that he was certain Toyota was going to recall the 2007-2009 Camry Hybrid to replace the faulty "brake actuator", this failure was becoming common to the Service Advisors. Fortunately I have an additional vehicle to drive in the meantime. Today, nearly Nine months later, still no recall. Today I stumbled upon a website that was created for the sole purpose of bringing attention to this serious, dangerous situation that Toyota chooses to ignore. The website: www.checkvscsystem.com allows you to post your experience with the failed "Brakes/Check VSC". Believe me, if you've ever Lost Power & Brakes in a 3000lbs. vehicle traveling at 40mph you would be looking for answers too.

I also encourage you to make anyone that you know that owns a 2007-2009 Camry Hybrid (there maybe other additional models or years affected by this problem) aware that they could and pretty much should expect their TCH to shut off and lose brakes without any warning:-Instantly Powerless!! Deadly!!

I suggested they investigate all of the deaths and serious accidents that have occurred in this model of the TCH. People may have already been killed. I doubt anyone ever thought to check the "VSC" or Brake Actuator on a vehicle that its driver ran a red light or stop sign and was destroyed by whatever was in its path. (this is mere speculation, but if the Camry loses power and brakes, causes the driver to run a red light and is killed as a result of it, i'm sure the police report merely stated-"driver error"-Ran Red Light.-Not Faulty Brake Actuator.

I filed my complaint over 9 months with NHTSA...Nothing. It is truly a tragedy that Toyota refuses to face! My TCH remains garaged and will until Toyota takes responsibility!

141 - 160 of 505 Posts