Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2nd Check VSC System Error in Two Years!

I bought my 2008 Camry Hybrid in April of 2008 as a new vehicle. My first VSC accumulator issued happened in the Summer of 2011, when my car had about 60,000 miles on it. Luckily this happened to me as I was backing out of my parking spot at work, so at least I didn't have the harrowing experiences that some of the people have reported.

My dealer was very cooperative in replacing this faulty part (but only after I purchased a new, extended warranty).

Well, this morning, July 12, 2013, I turned my car on (which has about 79,000 miles on it at this point), and I get that “Check VSC System” warning message! This time I had 3 passengers in the car with me! Luckily, we were only a few miles away from work and it happened before we left the parking lot. Needles to say, I had to drive back to work at a very slow pace, with the blinkers flashing away, because (as everyone who has posted about this issue knows) braking with the VSC on the fritz is very stressful! My extended warranty should cover the replacement again, but - Come On Toyota! - two failures in 2 years, with only 20,000 miles wear!

By the way, I live in the Phoenix valley in Arizona!

·
Registered
12 Posts
To all reading

I (yippie) got a response from the Highway safety transit people that you can report an issue to. I feel that this is beeing looked at now.
Please all send a message to this man, [email protected]

Even if you have had your issue resolved hundreds or thousands of dollars later. I through research and info on this site found a company in Tenn. through ebay, offering to rebuild these accumulators with a lifetime warranty. Shared this with the person above. Slowly but surely I think some progress will become of this. Please all be proactive. Also the link to the person above asked me two things, the cost of the repair bill (if done and my experiences with how the brakes were performing) Please please all read and respond.

There is a company in Tennessee that is offering accumulator rebuilds for a very fair price, after the sticker shock all has been through. The investigator above asked me for info to the company so he can research what they might be finding wrong with. Keep the faith and be stead fast.
All who have had to bear the costly repair through toyta, send your repair bills to the above, along with you issues, complaints, concerns and so on!!!! If you don't do this, how can any of us have resolve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a response from the natonal highway. contact [email protected].
share your experience, et all. Inform all other to flood the one person that
contacted me. I put a report in to the the law firm you suggested. This needs to be
addressed, recalled and so on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dunno, been looking also, mazes of numbers and such. God speed. Fyi report your story with a contact that finally contacted me via national highway saftey type organization. [email protected] . Share with all. You are not alone on this.

·
CamryHybridGaraged
Toyota Camry Hybrid
3 Posts
I got a response from the natonal highway. contact [email protected].
share your experience, et all. Inform all other to flood the one person that
contacted me. I put a report in to the the law firm you suggested. This needs to be
addressed, recalled and so on!
I got the email from Chan too! I sent him everything! This is a no-brainer. The fraud, cover-up, etc. Toyota is an immoral, unethical and disgusting company. Everyone in this forum needs to contact hbsslaw.com. And please go log your issue on the www.checkvscsystem.com

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is a company in Tennessee that is offering accumulator rebuilds for a very fair price, after the sticker shock all has been through.
I'm sure it would be helpful to many folks here if you could provide us with the name of the company, their price, and perhaps a URL to a web page with describes what they do and how to use their services.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another ABS accumulator failure

Hi folks,
My first post here but wanted to add my two cents. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid that I bought brand new from Toyota of Melbourne (FL) in November of 2006.
I too had all of the previous poster's symptoms: Check VCS System; several warning lights and so on. Also, didn't notice any mention of this, but once this problem occurred, each time I started my engine, my brake pedal would push back towards me about 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so.
Took it to my dealer (where I purchased it) for their evaluation. Again, very similar story: Bad ABS accumulator that needs to be replaced. Part price: $2499.90 (but not $2500, right?). I was very fortunate to have purchased the extended warranty on my vehicle, something I had never done before on a new car purchase. But glad I did this time. I figured it's the first model year of this vehicle and it's got about a bazillion relays/switches, etc. so I'd better pony up this time. Good call on my part. So, after a $100 deductible I was on the road in two days. Warranty covered rental car as well so I did good there. Also, they fixed a previous recall (power window switches). Great service!
That being said, why on earth does Toyota charge $2500 for a single part that tends to fail at under 100k miles? My car had about 82,600 when it failed. I still plan to file a complaint with the safecar.com site, as suggested by other posters, just to put my name in the bucket of failed parts. Good luck to others, and I'd advise the extended warranty on a new model/style car in the future.
T

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 07 TCH Dash lights looked like a Christmas Tree!

OK, a little background....

In March I went to a dealer auction & bought a 2012 Prius v with 9800 miles.

I bought it to replace my wife's 2007 TCH with 142,500 miles, which had performed almost flawlessly- only had to replace brake pads cuz the rotors were dragging a/c not being used very much.

So.... she finally gives up driving her beloved TCH in April and the car sits for about 5 weeks. I told her to drive it around a bit every couple of weeks - the next time she drove it, she said the "Check VSC" light came on.... I googled it & found it was happening to other owners, so no worry, I'll just take it in....

Well, in July I went to take it in & all the trouble lights on the dash lit up... including "check hybrid system".....

I took it to the local Toyota dealer & he calls me later & the Service Manager says the Hi-Voltage battery is defective & must be replaced.... cost $3500 + 450 labor... then he says it is covered by warranty!!!

He said he has only seen a half dozen TCH Hi-Voltage batteries go bad.....

I tell him to fix it & he calls later & says the Rack & Pinion must be replaced but it is covered by warranty....

Then he said the "check engine light" was caused by a defective gas cap... I said put a new one one on.... cost was $65.00.

He then says the water pump was leaking.... cost $382.00- I said replace it.

I also had them install new spark plugs- the original ones lasted 142K miles....

2 days later - I just picked the car up & it runs like new, just as quiet & smooth as the day I bought it in 2006.

Total saved by warranty at 142,500 miles..... $4925

WoW!!!!

Has this happened to anybody else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I could learn from the other forums;

The hybrid battery in the Prius has a warranty for 8 years / 100,000 miles, and if you bought and registered the car in CA, NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, PA or ME (the states with California-standard emissions laws), the warranty is automatically extended to 10 years / 150,000 miles.

and:

Page 11 of my 2010 Prius Warranty & Maintenance Guide states that the Hybrid Battery is warranted for 120 months/150,000 miles in selected states: California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

B

·
0 Posts
From what I could learn from the other forums;

The hybrid battery in the Prius has a warranty for 8 years / 100,000 miles, and if you bought and registered the car in CA, NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, PA or ME (the states with California-standard emissions laws), the warranty is automatically extended to 10 years / 150,000 miles.

and:

Page 11 of my 2010 Prius Warranty & Maintenance Guide states that the Hybrid Battery is warranted for 120 months/150,000 miles in selected states: California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Let me ask a question, I bought my 2012 TCH in Delaware, but registered it in New Jersey. Where does my TCH falls under the warranty?

161 - 180 of 505 Posts