Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8L
37,000 miles

A couple of days ago I got a check engine light and the transmission started shifting harder. I took it to a transmission shop and they put the analyzer on it and they told me it was a bad solenoid (#2, I think). They replaced the solenoid and the harness and serviced the transmission. One day later (and $300), the light came back on and it shifts hard again. Now the shop wants to get into the computer via the glove box and do more troubleshooting. Here are the questions:
1. Does this sound like they're on the right track?
2. Any service bulletins about this?
3. Is it time to take it to the dealer?

Thanks - Mike

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
You can readout the codes using a code reader. Autoparts stores such as AutoZone have codes readers. There might be other stores in your area that will do this or loan/rent a code reader.

Once you have the code post here of do a Google search on the code number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
go to the dealer. they will change the computer on your corolla for free. Its a TSB.

Hope the transmission shop didnt cause any damage to the transmission

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
go to the dealer. they will change the computer on your corolla for free. Its a TSB.

Hope the transmission shop didnt cause any damage to the transmission
I agree, a fairly common isssue for the 2005-07 Corollas, the pcm goes bad and causes a harsh shift in the trans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow-up to check engine light

2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8L
39000 miles

Thank you very much for the insight on the TSB! I knew you guys were out here for a reason. :lol: The code was a 2716. I was able to print out the TSB P2617 bulletin from the Internet and take it to the Toyota dealer and they replaced the ECM at no charge. The repair was covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty, which is 96 months or 80,000 miles.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
126 Posts
2005 Toyota Corolla 1.8L
39000 miles
Thank you very much for the insight on the TSB! I knew you guys were out here for a reason. :lol: The code was a 2716. I was able to print out the TSB P2617 bulletin from the Internet and take it to the Toyota dealer and they replaced the ECM at no charge. The repair was covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty, which is 96 months or 80,000 miles.
Thanks again!
Could somebody please post a link to that TSB or post it here?

TX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

I am having the same harsh-shift problem with my 2005 corolla. Its around 58K miles now, so it should be eligible for the free ECN change.
However, I bought this vehicle used and the owner had bought it out of state. Will a local dealer replace the computer for free. I can do the 60K maintenance along with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am having the same harsh-shift problem with my 2005 corolla. Its around 58K miles now, so it should be eligible for the free ECN change.
However, I bought this vehicle used and the owner had bought it out of state. Will a local dealer replace the computer for free. I can do the 60K maintenance along with it.

Thanks
i would think that they would still replace that since it is under warranty and is still definitely a toyota...

·
Registered
9 Posts
This hardshift problem is only when your idle and changing the gears back and forth. not while you are driving. You should go to the dealer and try but i think they only change it if the code is present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted post that the dealer changed the computer on my Toyota Corolla without any charges. I had taken the printout of the TSB.

The problem was that it was shifting high with a jerk even while driving and not only during idle position. And the problem was not consistent in the beginging. It would come and go away, untill it did not go away. That is when I went the dealer.

Thanks everyone for all the great postings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts