Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma SR5 c
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing the oil on my '06 V-6 the other day, I looked for the dipstick to check the ATF fluid and couldn't find it. Also couldn't find a filler tube for the ATF. Checked the service manual under self-maintenance and no mention of how to check the automatic transmission fluid. Is there a way to check this?
Also, how long does it take for the "maintenance required" light to go off after doing your own oil change? I changed the oil/filter at 4,900 miles and it's still on at 5,300 miles.

Thanks,

Ed W.
Universal City, TX

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
ATF is the new WS type. It is a long-life ATF, and the tranny is, similar to manual trannie, not equipped w/ a dipstick. Drain, fill, and check are thru plugs on the tranny case. See earlier threads. (Search for the full fill procedure which is in several.)

Maint Light will not go off on it's own. I know of no vehicles that will reset on their own.
It is triggered by the ECM and stays on until you reset it. You can also search for the reset procedure, or read your manual from the glove box. (hint, you use the ODO reset button)

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
The tranny is sealed, in order to drain or fill the tranny you have to unbolt some bolts on the bottom and side of the tranny respectively. The fluid is already Synthetic and rated for 100,000 miles before it needs a change. It's Toyota's new World Spec (WS) fluid and you can only get it from Toyota and no one else.

Reset the Maint Light by pressing and holding the ODO Button for 15 seconds or something like that.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma SR5 c
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Found the procedure for resetting the "Maintenance Required" light in the owner's manual after thumbing through it a couple of times and was able to reset it without any problem.

Ed W.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts