Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a daily driver I got myself a real clean 92 Cressida with 150,000 miles. It was all original and had been driven rarely by some little old lady for the last 10 years. It ran alright over the summer, but started smoking a bit more as the year progressed. It also would burn through transmission fluid like it was going out of style. It doesn't leak any fluid, so it is being burned or lost somehow. Occasionally it will go into gear rough. On a possibly related note, the idle will regularly not return to the standard 800 rpm but will hover up around 1100, even when the car is all warmed up. I don't know much about anything that isn't a small block or a turbo 400, so anything y'all can tell me would be appreciated.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
I don't know much about these cars, but it appears that the transmission might be vaccuum controlled. Which might relate to the high idle and loss of fluid.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
The transmission does not have any vacuum lines going to it. The trans fluid has no way of being burned in the engine, it is leaking out somewhere. The idle problem is unrelated. The harsh engagement is probably related. the only places to leak are the obvious ones. (front seal, rear seal, pan, etc.)

according to the toyota trouble tree, check:
Accelerator linkage
trouble codes (see sticky at top of forum)
ISC system (rare for the motor to fail, common to have carbon clogging the valve)
TPS (make sure the idle contacts close at idle)

To help figure it out, are there any other problems, issues, or quirks? any mods? most importantly, when does it idle high?

BTW it's supposed to idle at 650, not 800.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts