Toyota Nation Forum banner

Child Seat Blues

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  redinterceptor 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone

I am hoping that someone out there has the answer to this......I really like the Tacoma Double Cabs but do not think they will sit my whole family. I have 3 kids (Oldest uses a booster & the 2 youngest use convertible carseats). Has anyone been able to fit 3 kids in seats in the back of a Tacoma Double Cab? I was on another forum and someone had posted that they did not THINK that it would work but had never tried it to see.

The main reason I am stuck on the Tacoma is that it is not enormous which I do not really want (I want to be able to put this truck in my garage). The other thing is, they are pretty decent on gas compared to full size trucks. I mean I am sure if I went with a Tundra DBL Cab that I would not have an issue with 3 childseats at all but I just do not want to pay out for that extra fuel cost that goes with having a V8. I am also looking at it from the standpoint that my kids are growing and they will not always be the size they are now. I guess the last question I will ask is if anyone has tried....2 booster seats and 1 convertible seat??? Anyone out there with answers to these questions...please let me and everyone else on this site know.

Thanks for your time,

DWF

See less See more
#2 ·
I have fit two car seats and a girl in the back seat before but not three seats. There are spots for three Child seats using the latch restraint system. so i am sure it can be done depending on the seat width and how you choose to put them in.

#5 ·
I run a booster and a convertible. They'll all fit, but getting everyone in the truck is going to be a chore. Like having to slide the seat forward for the toodler to reach the booster seat in the middle (thats the only way I see it working). It will be tight and all hands will be able to touch their neighbors, so that might be an issue, too.

I would seriously take your kids and your seats to a dealer and try it out first.

#6 ·
I would seriously take your kids and your seats to a dealer and try it out first.
Thats what I did. I took my daughters car seat (she was 4 at the time) and put it in the back of both an access cab and the double cab. Obviously the double cab was much better and thats what I went with. Right now i have a car seat and and infant car seat back there with no problems. One kid gets out one side and the other out the other side. 3 might be a little tight getting them in and out though.

#7 ·
I have a little girl that is in a booster and a little bot that is in a car seat. I recently added my third and have the infant carrier and docking station in my DC. It is a little tight but works. It is the infant carrier that eats up the room. The infant is in the middle with my girl and boy on each side of it.

#8 · (Edited)
Since I have one little one right now with plans for more... I am planing on upgrading to something a little bigger. Trying to sway the wife from the dreaded minivan :eek:. So hopefully the Tundra will fit myneeds. I can make it work... just thinking that there might be some new technology available in the next 6 years or so. It all depends on how well my boys swim though:naughty:... so far so good eh?

I have the infant base in the middle but i think you could do it with just using the car seats. But it looks like when we go to the next size up they get bigger (obviuos assumption). So it could get tricky.

In all honesty the tacoma is the "right fit" for me/family. It isnt too big for the trails provides me utility... i can put people/kids and the dog in the back seats comfortably... and it has enough balls to get me where i need to go. I have thought about (more like day dreaming) getting a full-size something but just thinking about my wife attemping to park a full size truck makes me cringe.

I need Auto Manufactures to make and SUV (no crossovers please... they should be called stationwagons BTW) with van sliding doors:eek: so i can get something manly instead of someing i can stick a soccerball magnet too. Then i can shut up my wife! But i am currently fighting a loosing battle. My truck isnt in jeapardy but my ego will be if i end up folding for a mom mobile. The wife uses the angle that those doors (sliding) make it easy to get the kids in and out. I DONT WANT A MINIVAN ERRRG! We agreed before kids that there would never be a minivan in our driveway... looks like someone has forgotten that conversasion eh?

Maybe some of you can relate ^ :disappoin

#9 ·
I have one with one on the way and I think it would be a very tight squeeze with three. Not that it can't be done, bt everyone would be more comfortable in something a bit bigger. If it's not your only vehicle and you have something bigger for trips etc. then go for it.

#12 · (Edited)
I have two convertable car seats in the back, son is almost 4 and my daughter is 1. If I wanted to add a third seat, I personally don't think it would fit, or would have to buy three new seats that are really narrow. I don't have to worry though I had a vasectomy!! It might work with two booster seats, hell, just take them out and try it at the dealer, they should'nt have a problem with that. Good luck!

#13 ·
#14 ·
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post.

I was mainly wondering in the event I needed to put all three kids in a dbl cab taco if it would work. Sounds like it might depending on the size of the carseats. I think I would mainly be needing to transport just 2 kids but since I have 3, I just wanted to check on other peoples experiences. The snip and clip has been mentioned several times and I am already a member of the famous V club so there will not be a 4th child in our future. We also have another vehicle that seats 7 so that is what our main source of transportation is. The Tacoma, if I get one, would be my daily driver from work and to do errands around town. My wife, like most, likes me to take the kids to give her a break since she is a stay at home mom. This is why I was wondering about the seating. All 3 in the back would not be an all the time thing, just on occasions.

Thank you for all the input and feel free to post more if ya want.

Thanks

DWF

#15 ·
I need Auto Manufactures to make and SUV (no crossovers please... they should be called stationwagons BTW) with van sliding doors:eek: so i can get something manly instead of someing i can stick a soccerball magnet too. Then i can shut up my wife! But i am currently fighting a loosing battle.
My truck isnt in jeapardy but my ego will be if i end up folding for a mom mobile. The wife uses the angle that those doors (sliding) make it easy to get the kids in and out. I DONT WANT A MINIVAN ERRRG! We agreed before kids that there would never be a minivan in our driveway... looks like someone has forgotten that conversasion eh?

Maybe some of you can relate ^ :disappoin
Mini-vans are awesome! My wife drives the van with the kids and all the stuff that goes along with them while my truck stays nice, clean and new smelling. The van is great for trips and keeps mileage really low on my truck. Let the ego go, you're now a family man!! :D

#16 ·
I have 3 kids in the back of mine. One car seat for a 2yr old, basket/seat thing for the baby, and a booster for our 6yr old. Once the seat and basket are buckled in it's fine. Bit tight for the 6yr old to buckle up, but she has enough room.

Once they start growing up and we can get rid of some of the plastic they'll have more room. The plastic seats take up more seat room than the kids themselves.

#17 ·
Things are tight when I throw my 9, 6 and 2 year olds in the back. My 6 year old is actually a little bigger than the 9 year old. I have 2 boosters and the car seat. Anything bigger than the booster would be real tight. I bought the truck before my wife got pregnant with our 2 year old. I probably would have gone with a full size for the extra elbow room if I had known we were gonna have 3. I don't have to worry about anymore kids either. She had her tubes tied........I didn't feel a thing.:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.