Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Taco
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spent lots of time and money making my old T look like new. Ended up having the rear axle go out on me on my 12,000 mile road trip... Did not have the resources to fix it and needed a new truck to get me home. Had been thinking about getting a Taco for a while but couldn't bring myself to take up car payments when I had an awesome truck that was still running great that was paid for. Anyway, since I had an excuse to, I sold the T and picked this up and am gonna have to make some modifications to it :) The previous owner gave me a good start with the lift/tire/rim combo :D

At the dealer..

Just after I bought it, making my way slowly home...

Anyway, got it home and started making it "Alaska Proof".. ie, trying to get it protected form all the rocks and shit all over the road and the mass amounts of snow that build up on the carpets...

Got a bug shield to protect the front from all the rock chips. The windsheild is hopeless anyway so may as well deflect rouge rocks that way...

Got some weathertechs to control the water and snow

I generally don't like seat covers but the mesh on the TRD seats was awful. I spill something or other and when I go to brush it off, it just gets ground into the fabric, yuck. So I got some OEM seat covers... I wanted to make sure I had a good fit and make them look integrated in the truck... I think they look pretty good :)

Fixed the compass thanks to this forum :D... mostly. Was my first time soldering and apparently melted something mildly important on the circuit board in my inexperience... once in a while the "S" for south shows up as an 8... it works right about 50/50. Gives it some character, eh? and I know what way I am going anyway :)

Just trying to get the basics out of the way to keep it protected from the elements. Now for the fun stuff!

Future plans:

New headlights (the mounting brackets on the passenger side are broken :( so time to get a new one)

Interior accents... in blue!

Fab up some rock sliders

Fab up a skid plate/bull bar of sorts

Get some front mud flaps (the sides are already getting all torn up from all those D#[email protected] rocks! :disappoin)

Ipod hookup/switch out stereo.. not sure which way I am going to go on that yet

Tonneau cover

Driving lights

bed/backup lights.

Illuminated 4wd switch

Other various additions as they come up :D

·
Registered
2006 Taco
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got some stuff in the mail :D

First, my ridiculous Trex sticker for the window to go with my plates.. :D

Got a skid plate off Craig's for $60... not too bad :D. (very exciting... pic of a skid plate!!)

Anndd got my new headlights in the mail. Went around the seal with some silicone and am plannin to install tomorrow :clap:

Took the truck on a drive right after my end of winter wash/wax/nufinish treatment and got some nice Alaskan pics :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
looking good.

are those "tinted"/smoked headlights? I suppose on a black truck. But never understood why people do that to their headlights/taillights.

I bet those bigger/wider tires throw a lot more rocks up. Mud flaps will help. The sliders will help too, they seem to deflect the rocks from the body.

Interior looks good. You like the weather tech floor mats better than the husky liners? Seems like they are a little thicker.

·
Registered
2006 Taco
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking good.

are those "tinted"/smoked headlights? I suppose on a black truck. But never understood why people do that to their headlights/taillights.

I bet those bigger/wider tires throw a lot more rocks up. Mud flaps will help. The sliders will help too, they seem to deflect the rocks from the body.

Interior looks good. You like the weather tech floor mats better than the husky liners? Seems like they are a little thicker.

No, the lense itself is clear :) Just some black on the inside where It doesn't reflect anyway. I like my headlights bright! I mean the tinted headlights look lovely on black trucks but I value my ability to see :D

I had the huskys in my last truck and I liked them. They were about half of the price of the weathertechs. I do like the weathertechs more. They actually have channels to deal with the water. The husky liners just let it pool up all over. Especially at the end of the winter, I get tons of snow in the truck... the carpet mats were just not going to cut it.

·
Registered
2006 Taco
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some work today :D

Got a ticket for my tinted front windows :( It is legal in AZ where I bought the truck (I think) but is not legal at home in AK. Sooo I had to take off did some research and ended up using this method:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-car-window-tint:-the-not-messy,-chea/

It worked amazingly welll and was a lot easier than it looked even online. Took me about 20 minutes to get both windows all legal :)

Comes right off! :D

Getting the window nice and steamy

The tint looked sweet and kept out prying eyes but it is easier to see without...

Once I got the truck legalized... time for the fun part! got the headlights on. Pulled off the grill and then unscrewed the old headlights and put in the new :D Was a pain in the ass to get to all the screws. Was able to reach the last one from underneath the truck :)

Grill off:

Bad shot. But that's how you access the last screw.

All done :clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts