Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ooSnip3r Halo2!
89 Corolla GTS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey can the 89 ae92 be chipped...you know the ECU? who does it wheres a good place to do it? anyone esle done it? any noticable improvements?:)

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
no chips, but I believe you can upgrade the ECU but for big bucks though. :(

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
or you could go for a stand alone system for around $150 (megasquirt)... and if the car is a gt-s... you'll be able to get rid of that pesky afm

·
ooSnip3r Halo2!
89 Corolla GTS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats a "afm" ? standalone huh....hard to use that? dont I need a dyno?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
AFM - Air Flow Meter.

Basically, there are two types of air flow controllers, the 'AFM' (Air Flow Meter), and the 'MAP' (Metered Air Pressure, I think..). The AFM uses a flow sensor on the end (or down the intake a little) of the throttle body, mechanically (but Electroniccaly controlled) allowing air to flow directly into the throttle body.

The MAP on the other hand is a vacum sensor that controls the opening of the butterfly to the Plunem chamber to allow air to flow to the cylinders this way. It is a slightly more precice way of mesuring air flow.

A Stand-alone ECU is just a box that controls particular components of the engine, by tricking the ECU into thinking it's doing all the work. A Stand-alone ECU can be hard to install, but once installed, it's essentially a set and forget thing.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
um.... a stand alone system... you don't use the original ecu... the megasquirt IS the ecu.... you build it yourself, and then it's laptop programmable..... you can see how it's running and changes things whenever you want....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts