Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Corolla GT-S
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can be this coming from? It's only when its cold it does this.. then its fine

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
it's hard to say from the poor quality video... if it's as slow as it sounds on the video, then it's not a rod knock....... i initially thought it sounded like a timing belt being partially broken and hitting something....... again, hard to say

·
Registered
ae95 4x4 corolla
86 Posts
im not sure but my friends pulsar et turbo started making a noise like that when he bent a conrod

G

·
wow, that sounds horrible :) have you checked your timing? belt could of slipped a few teeth. also check timing belt tension.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ghost_ryder35 said:
wow, that sounds horrible :) have you checked your timing? belt could of slipped a few teeth. also check timing belt tension.
I have to think along the same lines. It is hard to tell from the video but it sounds like the timing is off more than a rod knock.

·
Registered
88 Corolla GT-S
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I havent check it out yet, but I'm hoping its nothing with the piston... well I'm planning on getting on another car and working on this car on the side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was reading this, and I was wondering how does piston slaping occur? I have this same problem but soon after I had an overheating problem and fixed it, it started doing this wierd noise... I change the spark plugs cuz the tip was all white from too much heat and change all the wires and it still knocks when its cold... how would I check the timing??

G

·
to check timing use timing light, or line up engine to TDC (crank shaft pulley lined up with number one pistion in the uppermost rotation of the compression stroke. Keep in mind for every one rotation the block takes the head takes two)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So if I have piston slapping occuring, I have to rebuild the engine again? I juz rebuilt it and the machine shop put in .20 pistons but not high compression. They came from an auto parts store here. I have read online that serious overheating can cause piston slapping... should I just get another block to rebuild it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts