Toyota Nation Forum banner

Choose Service Facility for First Oil Change

7K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  1207243 
#1 ·
I’m coming up to my 5,000-mile first oil change. I have several Toyota dealers in my area (southern California) and I need to choose one that I’ll be using for all of my service and warrantee needs. I’m wondering how you all have chosen a Toyota dealership to meet these needs.

This is my first Toyota in a long time which is why I’m not familiar with the dealerships in my area.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

#7 ·
...but have been warned about them trying to up-sell you on items you really don't need.
That's pretty universal for all dealerships.

Just about every new vehicle I've bought in the last 20+ years came with a 'dealer' recommended service schedule that had more in it than the manufacturer's 'extreme' (or whatever they choose to call it) service schedule. Essentially they were recommending you get twice as much done, twice as often, as the manufacturer service schedule.

Reactions: Kadena
#3 ·
I would take ti to the dealership that sold you the car AND THEN TREAT IT LIKE THEY ARE MORONS UNTIL YOU SATISFY YOURSELF THAT THEY ARE NOT.
This ASSumes they are not far from you, if so then chose the one that is most convenient and they have good customer reviews.
Understand that the warranty does NOT require you to take it to Toyota to maintain the warranty, just be able to prove you have had the maintenance done.

#5 ·
Dealership upselling kept me in business without advertising. It finally got to the point where they had no techs to work on cars as old as our customers. Ten years ago when I was reviving a 1971 Honda CB350 the guy at the dealership didn't even know what "points" were for the bike. Try getting a set for a 37 Ford which uses two points, one to open and the other to close the dwell.
How to set the idle speed in a 37 Ford (350 RPM), put it in 3rd gear then let it idle down the road at 7 MPH and you have it right.

#33 ·
Lifetime warranty on the transmission.
I think you need to clarify with the dealership what
Lifetime is. It may be a specific
Amount of years. They may consider
Your car to last I don’t know 6-7 years and that
Is the life expectancy. I just find it strange that they are offering that. I have a friend that is a mechanic and he said the Rogue transmissions are so bad that dealership he orders parts
From keeps several on hand for
Immediate delivery. Most cars
If need a transmission you have to order it
At the dealership and it would take a
Few days to arrive. You should check so you what to expect if the need arises.

#10 ·
2 oil changes and 4 tire rotations is NOTHING to get excited about.
You are overlooking the invaluable floor mat check! And the time to sit in the waiting area and reflect on...whatever. Two to three hours of bliss. Right?

#13 ·
Just because I may have spent $50k on something doesn't make me indifferent to the value of a $50 bill. For many people, that new car payment makes them need to be aware of smaller expenditures.

People who have money often choose not to waste money. That's why they have money (present tense) rather than having had money (at some time in the past).

Reactions: GaryQ and depmur
#12 ·
The first service doesn't even include the oil change in the official maintenance schedule.

Service #1 - 5000 miles/8000km

• Check installation of driver's floor mat.
  • Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system.
  • Inspect all lights and horn for proper operation.
  • Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation. 1
  • Inspect and adjust level - engine oil, brake fluid, engine/inverter coolant, power steering fluid and washer fluid.
  • Remove & inspect engine air filter. 2
  • Remove & inspect cabin air filter. 3
  • Check and record tire tread depth. Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
  • Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
  • Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over. 4
  • Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.

You can do all of the above yourself, skip the tire rotation this time and do it with Service #2 at around 10K miles, which includes the oil change.

If you're able-bodied and have a place to do it, just DIY like many do. When you're paying for service you're paying for convenience and not quality of work. The best mechanic for your car is the person that cares about it the most.

#18 ·
The first service doesn't even include the oil change in the official maintenance schedule.

Service #1 - 5000 miles/8000km

• Check installation of driver's floor mat.
  • Reset Maintenance Reminder Light or system.
  • Inspect all lights and horn for proper operation.
  • Inspect wiper blades, linkage and washers for proper operation. 1
  • Inspect and adjust level - engine oil, brake fluid, engine/inverter coolant, power steering fluid and washer fluid.
  • Remove & inspect engine air filter. 2
  • Remove & inspect cabin air filter. 3
  • Check and record tire tread depth. Examine tires for damage and uneven wear.
  • Remove wheels & visually inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors, brake lines and hoses.
  • Rotate tires (applicable to same size wheels, front & rear) or alternatively perform seasonal tire change-over. 4
  • Record inspection results, measurements and component condition on inspection form and/or repair order.

You can do all of the above yourself, skip the tire rotation this time and do it with Service #2 at around 10K miles, which includes the oil change.

If you're able-bodied and have a place to do it, just DIY like many do. When you're paying for service you're paying for convenience and not quality of work. The best mechanic for your car is the person that cares about it the most.
The most useless verbs (inspect, check, etc.) to be charged for.

#14 ·
I’ve actually used my local dealer for every service on my 2016 Highlander and will do the same on my 2021 Hybrid Highlander. I bought both from them at what I felt was a reasonable price and they have always treated me right on services. I realize this might not be the norm. I had a warranty issue after warranty expired on my 2016 that somehow was covered by warranty, minor trim issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I’ve actually used my local dealer for every service on my 2016 Highlander and will do the same on my 2021 Hybrid Highlander. I bought both from them at what I felt was a reasonable price and they have always treated me right on services. I realize this might not be the norm. I had a warranty issue after warranty expired on my 2016 that somehow was covered by warranty, minor trim issue.
If you are happy with the service and value you receive, I am happy for you!

#15 ·
I thought I saw somewhere (but of course can't find it now) that an oil change should be included in Service 1 if you make "frequent short trips in cold temperature" or words to that effect. That's basically the only kind of driving I've done in the past six months. Will the dealer include the oil in a "free" Service #1 in this case? Or just try to get out of it due to the checklist that @lightfreak quoted above that omits it?

#17 ·
This is how Toyota describes he plan. Note insertion of the word "normal".
ToyotaCare, a maintenance plan that covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25,000 miles,

So, it should be included in the service, but not on Toyota's dime. Will the dealer eat the cost? Bet you a bottle against a twelve pack they don't.

#22 ·
Too general a question to answer.

Normal or severe driving?
Recommended by Toyota, or paid for as part of TototaCare free "normal" maintenance?

#23 · (Edited)
No free oil change as part of ToyotaCare at 5,000 miles, no matter how you drive. The brochure below stipulates (in small print) that special/severe service schedules are not included.

If you need it because you fall into the "severe" driving, then should have it done at 5,000 but you'd pay for it. If you simply want it done at 5,000 because you don't like the idea of waiting until 10,000 miles, they'll still do it if you pay for it.

ToyotaCare will only change the oil at 10,000 and 20,000 miles, or at 12 months and 24 months if you're not putting on that many miles.

ToyotaCare Brochure

#26 ·
#29 ·
Some might think this a good question to help make the momentous decision. My guess from the east coast is most likely a waste of time. If you're just looking to get a "sense", one call to one of the candidates would give you that.

But, I guess you could post the names of all the places you're considering, and I'm sure someone here will be glad to look up their phone numbers, give them a call, and report back. It just might not happen before your 10k service.

Reactions: depmur
#36 ·
Your first service should be covered in your purchase. Take it to any Toyota dealer.

IIRC all new vehicles come with 24K 2 years service. The 5K service is only a tire rotation. Oil change (synthetic) will be every 10K.

Did you pre pay the service?
Yes, that's clear now. Thanks for the heads up.
No, I did not prepay for an early oil change.

#44 ·
Is this a new game? You post a quote, and ask us where you got it from??? Not gonna' challenge Jeopardy or Wheel!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.