Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My truck has been christened... I got rear ended last night. Bought the truck Dec 23rd. I was sitting at a light and this lady smacked right into me. It was some lady in an expedition. I wasn't all the surprised it was her, because a mile up the road i had to swerve out of my lane into the other lane because she dropped something and drifted over. Lucky for me I keep my hitch in so that took all the force. I was going to let us part ways without any paperwork but decided it would be a good idea just incase there was some frame damage. As i was taking her info she kept yelling at me to hurry up and was really rude, so i called the cops to come write a report. I wasn't in a rush. Anyway, Long story short, i am going to have the back end checked out by the dealer, chances of damage in minimal but a buddy of mine ended up with a bent frame because of a jetta + 50mph and I am not going to take any chances.

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
216 Posts
You did the right thing

The day of the handshake is about at an end. Too many lawyers and too many people who are willing to keep them profitable. Too many secular progressives that believe everyones wealth should be distributed among the masses ( you listening George Clooney?) and too many people with back problems that show up a week after an event.

Even after that rant, I still would probably go for the handshake if the "other" person was somewhat reasonable and could be read as sensible enough to deal with the problem and it was very clear that absolutely NOTHING was damaged. I still have some faith in my fellow man (but not screaming woman).

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
i would guess the impact wasn't hard enough to damage the frame since it didn't even damage the exterior of your vehicle. i would think the hitch would have sunk into her bumper far enough that the rest of her truck would damage yours before any frame damage would be possible. but better safe than sorry. i would have been all for swapping info and letting it go. but you did the best thing in calling the cops, IMO. not to protect yourself, but just to piss her off by making her wait longer. thats what she gets for being a b*itch (at least according to your side of the story).

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Tacologist said:
The day of the handshake is about at an end. Too many lawyers and too many people who are willing to keep them profitable. Too many secular progressives that believe everyones wealth should be distributed among the masses ( you listening George Clooney?) and too many people with back problems that show up a week after an event.

Even after that rant, I still would probably go for the handshake if the "other" person was somewhat reasonable and could be read as sensible enough to deal with the problem and it was very clear that absolutely NOTHING was damaged. I still have some faith in my fellow man (but not screaming woman).
Well said and true (about the SP's too!). You can have faith in man, but I never trust anything that bleeds monthly and still lives:D

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
tacologist said:
I still have some faith in my fellow man (but not screaming woman).
mhadden said:
You can have faith in man, but I never trust anything that bleeds monthly and still lives:D
:whatthe: I wouldn't put my faith in a man OR a woman around here. Maybe I'm wrong and all the men are honorable but I wouldn't bet on it.

Sorry about your accident Dart...I'm not surprised that you got hit though. I figure that just about every day I drive I avoid some type of accident. Traffic in SFL is just crazy and people tend to be totally out to lunch as far as paying any attention to other vehicles. And in a hurry? LOL I'm sure you got her good making her stick around for a report! Its funny how you'd mentioned about having that extra protection for your bumper so now I'm realizing I need to get a ball on my hitch asap!

·
Registered
241 Posts
With this woman's attitude, I would fill out an accident report, contact your insurance, the whole bit, she needs a reality check, and the higher Insurance may help.

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh, ya i woulda let it go if she was nice, but she was far from it. Her excuse for not stopping was that she was "eating" and when i was taking her info she kept yelling at me to hurry up. There isn't any damage but she wasn't sorry for what happen so i made her wait. Call me mean but I wasn't going to take a chance, if she was polite and didn't almost run me off the road a mile before, then I would of shaken hands and moved on.

If you learn one lesson from this, learn this, if you dont have a ball in your hitch, buy one and buy a locking pin so that it cant be stolen easily and NEVER take it out!

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
Dart4915 said:
Heh, ya i woulda let it go if she was nice, but she was far from it. Her excuse for not stopping was that she was "eating" and when i was taking her info she kept yelling at me to hurry up. There isn't any damage but she wasn't sorry for what happen so i made her wait. Call me mean but I wasn't going to take a chance, if she was polite and didn't almost run me off the road a mile before, then I would of shaken hands and moved on.

If you learn one lesson from this, learn this, if you dont have a ball in your hitch, buy one and buy a locking pin so that it cant be stolen easily and NEVER take it out!
im on your side. if she hit you, even if there wasent visible damage, and she was being a bitch i would make her wait longer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
hows your back??..someone rear ended me a few years back....my back felt a little weird laying in bed after that..if i did it again, i would have got checked out..good luck..the moral..tune into yourself first and then the truck after..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I rear ended someone in Banff a few years ago.... no apparent damage to her vehicle. 2 years later, got sued. she got 75000$ for her "injuries". Apparently she was a physical therapist... you do the math.

I wish i would have had a police report! You did the right thing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be careful about leaving your hitch in the receiver. I know in California if you are rear ended and your hitch damages the car that hit you then you are resposible for the damages even though you were not at fault for the accident. This happened to my dad a few years ago.

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My backs fine, neck hurts a tiny bit, but i think i'll be fine. About keeping the hitch in, maybe in cali but my friends a cop around here in miami and he does the same thing, keep the hitch on with a locking bolt. The car behind me shouldn't get that close to me anyway.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
Dart4915 said:
Heh, ya i woulda let it go if she was nice........
People just don't get it, if your an A-HOLE then you will be treated like one.
Same thing as all the people who piss and moan about getting unfairly ticketed by cops.
If your polite & respectful you have a much better chance of geting out of it. Catch an attitude & he'll find a reason to write you up.

·
Registered
DC, Sprt, 4x4
120 Posts
Dart4915 said:

I hear your pain, but I was not so lucky. Got pushed into the car in front of me. What I did find interesting was when the cop took the report from everyone, he asked if any of us were eating, on the cell phone or drinking anything when the accident occurred. I am not sure if all jurisdictions do this now..but it will be interesting where this data is going and how many accidents are now caused by distracted drivers.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
I have a Bully hitch step to keep people from kissing and scraping my rear bumper, and it sometimes is handy as a step as well. I have a locking hitch pin in it.

I paid $45.00 at my dealer, and I've seen other hitch steps priced about the same online.

Sorry about your truck. That really stinks to even worry about it since it is still brand new...

·
Registered
3 Posts
novataco said:
I have a Bully hitch step to keep people from kissing and scraping my rear bumper, and it sometimes is handy as a step as well. I have a locking hitch pin in it.

I paid $45.00 at my dealer, and I've seen other hitch steps priced about the same online.

Sorry about your truck. That really stinks to even worry about it since it is still brand new...

If anyone is going to go with the hitch step for protection I would suggest the " Go Rhino " 36 inch step it is 3 feet wide and would offer more protection. None the less that is a good idea.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I suggest not leaving a trailer hitch in the reciever at all. Bumpers are designed to take an impact without transfering all of the force to the frame. If a hitch takes the impact, the 2" square steel is not going to absorb any energy and all the load is trasfered to the frame. Now some may argue that bumpers are too expensive to replace in a mild rear-end collision. Well, if you're rear ended, chances are (not always) that the person behind you is at fault and their insurance *should* pay for the bumper. If your hitch is hit, some minor frame damage may occur which might not be easily repairable. I know someone who's Cherokee was rear ended with a hitch in. It did no damage to the bumper or hitch, but the energy transferred to the unibody cracked the fiberglass FRONT end grill surround. For this to happen, the sheetmetal that made up the unibody had to shift somehow. I never got to look at the vehicle, but I know weld or crimp had to have broken somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't feel bad I got rear ended the morning after I bought my truck. I got a ding in my bumper and the lady in the crv who hit me basically got stuck replacing her fender, hood, bumper, headlight, etc. At least she was nice/sorry about everything and we parted ways as nothing bad happened to my truck. The only 2 things bothered me first was that this all happened because she admittingly told me she was trying to light a cigarette, and the second was that this was my one and only accident in 10 years of driving, and it couldnt have happened to any of my other cars!

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ease27 said:
...this was my one and only accident in 10 years of driving, and it couldnt have happened to any of my other cars!
arg, i know that feeling, i have a clean record, so that was what really pissed me off.

I suggest not leaving a trailer hitch in the reciever at all. Bumpers are designed to take an impact without transfering all of the force to the frame.
That does make sense, that is a great reason not to leave your hitch in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts