Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find anything. Okay basicly I want to add chrome lining or molding all the way around my window on my 2005 Camry LE. Now question. The stuff they sell at Autozone the chrome molding is that good to work with? I heard it turns yellow after awhile. Is that true? Also the cheap little chrome luxury stuff like stick on handle covers and ect that's applied with 3m tape. Is that safe to use? Will it damage my paint when I decide to remove it? Also will that turn yellow also? Thanks in advanced for the help I'm hoping to receive.

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I've never seen damage from using 3M tape to secure things. The damage comes from improperly removing the residue after it's removed. You just have to be careful not to scratch the paint. You also want to make sure that it's attached firmly so that no dirt can get underneath and cause scratches or pits.

I've seen cheap chrome trim yellow because of the coating on it. I think those products have been improved so that it no longer happens. Be sure to read the package. If it yellows, you can carefully remove it and try another brand.

Much if it is trial and error. I purchased a TRD engraved and chrome plated stainless steel license plate surround off of eBay that promptly corroded when I went to Minnesota. Needless to say, the seller was a liar and it wasn't stainless. The chrome TRD emblems will also pit when exposed to a lot of salt. I have purchased a replacement to install in the spring.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
Of all members here, I probably have more chrome than most of people on my car.
None of my chrome has gone yellow, even the cheap chrome strip from Autozone that I put on the bottom of my trunk lid. It's still look "chromie" (is that a word?) after 18 months. Door handles, trunk lid, bodyside molding, VVTi emblem.....they are still fine.

·
Go camry goooooo
5,109 Posts
Of all members here, I probably have more chrome that most of people on my car.
None of my chrome has gone yellow, even the cheap chrome strip from Autozone that I put on the bottom of my trunk lid. It's still look "chromie" (is that a word?) after 18 months. Door handles, trunk lid, bodyside molding, VVTi emblem.....they are still fine.
For now you do, wait till it gets warm here. :)
I have an entire chrome kit just waiting to go on along with other mods adding up in the garage lol.

·
Registered
04 Camry SE
290 Posts
This is what I did to my previous Gen 5. The product didn't turn yellow but may corrode a bit if you live in an area with snow and salt. For door handles and chrome pillars, you can easily find quality ABS product that won't corrode. However, for window surround, there isn't a lot of option out there I guess.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
For now you do, wait till it gets warm here. :)
I have an entire chrome kit just waiting to go on along with other mods adding up in the garage lol.
Can hardly wait for pictures then. :clap:

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
This is what I did to my previous Gen 5. The product didn't turn yellow but may corrode a bit if you live in an area with snow and salt. For door handles and chrome pillars, you can easily find quality ABS product that won't corrode. However, for window surround, there isn't a lot of option out there I guess.
Exactly, I had a chrome TRD license plate holder that was fine all summer, but come one month into winter when we had snow, salt, and sand, it began to corrode. Right now it's extremely corroded and there is really no chrome left to it.

·
Registered
04 Camry SE
290 Posts
Exactly, I had a chrome TRD license plate holder that was fine all summer, but come one month into winter when we had snow, salt, and sand, it began to corrode. Right now it's extremely corroded and there is really no chrome left to it.
I experienced the exact same thing on my license plate holder as well. I got a new one and only use it during summer. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts