Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 Camry SE and am not happy at all about all of the chrome Toyota has decided to place on the dash and interior of the vehicle.

This chrome creates glare when the sun is out that makes it difficult to see the speedometer, tachometer and road. This creates an extremely dangerous situation that could easily be fixed by Toyota by replacing those parts with non-chrome colored parts.

I've contacted Toyota and the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and so far have only gotten the runaround, but I'm continuing to pursue this problem with Toyota and have a case open with them.

I've also officially filed a report with the NHTSA about how this is unsafe.

I'm confused as to why Toyota would spend millions of dollars making the car safer with technology and spend millions marketing how safe the Camry is, and then install extremely shiny chrome parts all over the interior, causing glare from the sun and creating an extremely dangerous situation.

This chrome is in all of the Camry models and Toyota has told me they do not make those parts in other colors/textures and that the part was created 'by design'.

They're tried to tell me that different people react differently to glare, which is true. But I don't think anyone can deny that Chrome is shiny by nature and will ALWAYS create glare when light is shining on it. How much that impacts a persons vision probably does vary by person, but why put a part in the inside of a vehicle that causes glare at all? Do they think it looks good?

Ironically, Toyota must know that their customers are not fond of the Chrome as they sell a 'Blackout Plastic Emblem Overlay' to cover up the chrome emblems on the exterior of the Camry. I would post a link to this part, but the forum won't allow me to post URLs, since this is my first post. The glare from the exterior emblems is completely cosmetic (unless Toyota cares about the glare that it creates for the drivers behind you). The glare on the inside of the vehicle should be MUCH more of a concern for Toyota if they really care about safety.

Also, there is a 30+ page forum about the lengths Tacoma owners were going to in order to remove just the chrome Toyota emblem on their steering wheel. The 2019 Camry has 10x that amount of Chrome.

I would post a link to that forum, unfortunately I'm not able to post a URL, but if you search for 'Custom steering wheel logo' on tacomaworld, you'll find it.

I've also come across multiple Tundra forums where owners went to extreme lengths to remove the Chrome from the interior of their vehicles.

So, I'm obviously not the only one that has complained about this and I'm not the only one that realizes this is a problem.

The chrome is on the following parts:

Speedometer ring
Tachometer ring
Push button start ring
Around the horn part of the steering wheel
The Toyota emblem in the middle of the steering wheel
The radio buttons
Around the shift knob

How hard would it be for Toyota to remake all of the parts above in black?

I will attach photos so that you can see what I'm talking about.

If others are having this same glare problem on their Camry (or other Toyota model) from chrome in the interior of the vehicle, please let us know. I would also encourage those Toyota owners to go log an official complaint with the NHTSA about this problem.

For what it's worth, I've tinted my windows as dark as my state allows and always wear sunglasses while driving and this is still a problem.

camry_glare_1.jpg

camry_glare_2.jpg

camry_glare_3.jpg

camry_glare_4.jpg

camry_glare_5.jpg

·
1,635 Posts
This has been discussed on here and fortunately there is a TSB for the interior chrome on the left vent, the right vent, and the chrome that stretches to the bottom of the radio. Toyota replaces it with a gloss black finish. Attached is the TSB that you can take to your dealer so they can order the parts and replace it.

Unfortunately there is no TSB for the chrome on the steering wheel or the instrument cluster.

I vinyl wrapped the chrome myself instead of taking it in though I haven't tried it on the steering wheel or instrument cluster because the glare doesn't seem to effect me.

Ebay has this, Blacked out Toyota logo on steering wheel which can reduce the glare. Maybe can find it for the other chrome places.

I don't think Toyota will release a TSB for the steering wheel and cluster.

Best solution is to get it vinyl wrapped. Either you can do it yourself or take it to a professional.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting that TSB and the link to the blacked out steering wheel logo. That will also help me on my 2014 Tacoma.

Also, if you have the links to the other forums on here where this glare has been discussed, I'd appreciate it if you could post some links so that I could review them as well. Thanks.

Ironically, the dealership also showed me that same TSB. I have the 'Grey Metallic trim on the air vents and it does NOT bother me at all, so I don't care to even have them replaced.

The chrome is 100x worse than that 'Brushed Aluminum' or the 'Grey Metallic Trim' as far as glare goes. Which makes me ask the question:

Why would Toyota do a recall for some 'brushed aluminum' creating glare, but not for the chrome? That makes NO sense as the chrome has a lot more glare than brushed aluminum.

There is also a TSB for the Avalon where they replaced chrome trim on the interior of the vehicle. How is the Camry any different from the Avalon when it comes to glare from chrome trim? Or do Avalon owners get treated differently.

The first Toyota case manager I spoke to told me that since this is pretty much the same problem as the Avalon, he doesn't see any reason why Toyota wouldn't also replace these chrome parts.

I just got off the phone with the Case Manager over at Toyota and they would rather allow me to return the vehicle (and lose a customer for life) than to fix the problem.

I guess Toyota doesn't care about keeping a customer (who has purchased 3 brand new Toyotas in the last 9 years) happy.

What's really frustrating is that the Case Manager admitted to me today that they have NO photos of the glare. How can Toyota tell me the vehicle is safe to drive when they haven't even seen the problem? And when you're dealing with a 'glare' problem, you'd think you'd want to actually 'see' it, as glare is hard to describe and easy to see. It really shows Toyota's dedication to making their vehicles safer!

·
1,635 Posts
The TSB is mostly for reflection on the side windows rather than glare. Same for avalon. Though removing the reflection also removes the glare.

Most likely toyota won't do anything because there isn't enough complaints about it? The reflection issue was all over NHTSA and toyota did something about it. I periodically read through those complaints and not so much about glare.

It seems that you went through the right routes to try to get this resolved with toyota and got nothing. If you are unhappy, either solve it yourself like getting tinted windows or vinyl wrapping or give the car back.

The thing is, a lot of cars have chrome in the interior, especially on the steering wheel and instrument cluster. Just did a quick google search and accords, ford, chevy, lexus, audi and so on have chrome. Maybe some dont have as much glare as others.

Also, the search function here is broken and i can't search in one specific forum so i can't really find anything anymore. But the threads talked more about the reflection than glare. Maybe those who have the same issue can respond and give solutions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a link I found on multiple forums, but it won't display ? I have a feeling this post had some really good information in it.

I also get that a lot of vehicle manufactures put chrome on the interior of the vehicle. I've been driving a 2014 Tacoma with the chrome Toyota emblem on the steering wheel and although I didn't like it, it wasn't distracting like the 2019 Camry. I can't almost drive anywhere on a sunny day without getting hit a few times with the glare.

I did a search for Chrome, glare, etc. I've found some other forums as well. The 2013 Avalon was a nightmare with their chrome, which Toyota has fixed in newer models.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It must also be the position of the sun in the sky throughout the day. It differs from a latitude and longitude to another because of the Earth’s axis angle. Light comes at such an angle that glare becomes much more present in your case. Those photos are proof!

In my case, I don’t feel any discomfort from the glare, not even from the lateral pieces reflecting on the side windows.

But I do find the tons of chromed bits a little tacky...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tinted my windows as dark as my state allows, (and always wear sunglasses) which does minimize the glare, but doesn't eliminate it.

·
1,635 Posts
i've been driving and paying attention to glares and the only time i have a glare on the chrome on the bottom of the steering wheel is when my panoramic roof is open. Or a glare on the instrument cluster is when my panoramic is open.. The glare didn't bother me though. Could just be bad luck on the direction you are driving, the sun is hitting the sweet spot and giving out glares. I have 15% tint on all windows except windshield.

the pictures that you uploaded looks like a lot of sun is inside and if i have my windows down and panoramic down i get the same sunlight but i don't usually have my windows down just my panoramic moon roof open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts